Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is an excellent DragTimes comparison between the Model S Plaid and the SF90 Stradale, Huracan Evo, 765LT, Taycan (😆), and the Bugatti Chiron. The Plaid beats all of them:

After handwashing and drying in my garage under controlled lighting, I have that same mark on my blue one. in the same spot. I had to really point it out to my wife for it to be noticed. I will point it out to the SC this month when I take it in for all the other little items.

My guess is that its a weld spot on the interior of the panel or perhaps its where the robot held it.. I would just goto your local paint free dent repair wizard and see if he can tap it out for 50$.. My plastic bumper on several vehicles had the same fisheye where the sensor mount was on the inside of the panel..

I just got home from test-driving @omarsultan's car and having lunch together - thanks again Omar for letting me drive your car!

We drove through town for a bit then up the hills west of Walnut Creek, CA. Having owned a P85D and a fairly heavily-modified M3P (check my sig), my first impressions are:

1. The yoke is a non-issue, really. It took me less than 2 minutes to get used to the turn signal position and doing >90º maneuvers through town. Like anything, such as going from a stick-shift to a column-mounted shifter, it's just about building the muscle memory over time. I reached for a turn signal stalk just once but quickly got used to the yoke buttons. My only wish is that the yoke was a little narrower, as it's fairly wide (having gotten used to the small M3 wheel) though not as wide as the previous Model S/X wheels.

2. Suspension is highly adjustable, to the point where I thought it was potentially TOO stiff. We drove through some twisty hills and I didn't feel much body roll at all, unlike when I test-drove and first got my M3P (before the mods), so I was glad to see Tesla did a good amount of work on that front. This is potentially a return to the much-vetted "plus" suspension from early years - cc @lolachampcar your might be happy to read this.

3. The interior cabin feels much more refined than any Tesla I've ever been in. The center screen integrates very nicely into the dash (to the point where I think swivel isn't necessary), the armrest is positioned perfectly, and the lack of road noise is just fantastic despite noise cancelling not even being enabled yet. I can't wait to see how it is with ANC on.

4. The software still has a lot of missing features, but I'm fairly confident that will be fixed in v11. I do like the new layout though, and it will be a nice upgrade from the 15" Model 3/Y screens.

I did not launch Omar's car or even accelerate hard in a straight line, since (a) it was not my car, (b) it has been done by so many others already, and (c) this was not my primary concern anyway given what we all know what the car can do.

Again, huge thanks to @omarsultan for being such a graceful TMC member, willing to drive over 2 hours round-trip to meet with me and hand me the driver's seat! And great conversations over lunch, too (not just about Tesla). See you around the forums.
You're welcome @MarcG -- was fun to catch-up IRL.

A couple of random things coming and going from the visit with Marc:
  • Hit my favorite stretch of backroad on the way out to do a 0-60 test at 100% SoC (77F ambient) and hit the usual 2.30/2.12s. I also hit it on the way home with 40% SoC, 102F ambient and hit almost the exact same numbers (2.30/2.12s) and both runs were within 1 ft of each other, so the consistency on this car is pretty impressive
  • I went though a toll booth and, on a whim, held up my flex pass against the windshield, to the left of the rearview mirror, and it registered fine, so that is cool

Well, my desire got the better of me this morning so I called the Tesla Dealer in Dallas that I purchased the car from. Annnnd no answer! The phone "rang through" to a Tesla Call Center where Mark was actually very helpful and informative. Mark said that it appears that my RN (1144) should be around the end of August. I ordered 3 Feb 21 (MSLR, BLK/BLK, 19", FSD). He did say that ANY changes I make now (i.e. changing wheels from 19-21) would almost assuredly result in a delay of my car. So I will wait it out and we shall see what happens around the end of August. I did mention that I am in California for work and I would Uber from San Jose to Fremont if there was a car there that I could pick up :) He said there was not!!

THANK YOU TMC-fam for your suggestions and support. I successfully completed the anterior licenseplatectomy this morning. She's recovering beautifully in my garage.

I keep finding myself walking into the garage to just stare at her. Reminds me of when I would sneak into my sleeping daughter's nursery just to watch her breathe so many years ago. How long does this incredulousness last?

THANK YOU TMC-fam for your suggestions and support. I successfully completed the anterior licenceplatectomy this morning. She's recovering beautifully in my garage.

I keep finding myself walking into the garage to just stare at her. Reminds me of when I would sneak into my sleeping daughter's nursery just to watch her breathe so many years ago. How long does this incredulousness last?
That is awesome. It's so random how these cars are getting delivered. My RN is 1144 and I'm waiting until August apparently. But I am so grateful that people are getting cars and are in love with them!! I can't wait. This gives me hooooopppppeeee :)

THANK YOU TMC-fam for your suggestions and support. I successfully completed the anterior licenseplatectomy this morning. She's recovering beautifully in my garage.

Going on 8 years for me since my first P85. Only my wife has kept my attention longer (lucky me).

How long did it last with your daughter? You still sneak in every once in a while to see the peacefulness - right?

@omarsultan Hey Omar...if you have a moment to check something...could you measure your MS Plaid's dead-pedal footrest...length & width? I have a feeling it's the same size as the older gen MS. There are a few options for an aluminum dead-pedal (no drill...just stick-on) which I think would look great to match with the aluminum sport pedals. Strange that Tesla didn't match up the dead pedal. Cost savings thing I guess, but anyhow. Thank you in advance! 👍 :cool:

Reactions: omarsultan

Still going for 4.5 years now for me. Just the sexiest car.

very interested. I have equipment to test this with, but no plaid to test on lol
Late followup on the radar detector with the S windshield:

Results seem to be fine, and I don't know why I was seeing stronger rear signals sometimes, but it seems to have been a fluke. I have the Uniden R7 mounted directly below the autopilot cameras, dead center, and it may-or-may-not-have saved my bacon twice on the cross country drive. It is entirely possible range is reduced, but the R7 has such good range it seemed to be a non-issue.

I may put my other R7 in the bottom corner on the next road trip and see if there is any difference, but I suspect it won't matter much.

You're welcome @MarcG -- was fun to catch-up IRL.

A couple of random things coming and going from the visit with Marc:
  • Hit my favorite stretch of backroad on the way out to do a 0-60 test at 100% SoC (77F ambient) and hit the usual 2.30/2.12s. I also hit it on the way home with 40% SoC, 102F ambient and hit almost the exact same numbers (2.30/2.12s) and both runs were within 1 ft of each other, so the consistency on this car is pretty impressive
  • I went though a toll booth and, on a whim, held up my flex pass against the windshield, to the left of the rearview mirror, and it registered fine, so that is cool
Glad to hear on the FasTrak transponders. I don’t keep mine out but wasn’t looking forward to somehow having to toss it over onto the passenger side dash when hitting the bay bridges.

Well, my desire got the better of me this morning so I called the Tesla Dealer in Dallas that I purchased the car from. Annnnd no answer! The phone "rang through" to a Tesla Call Center where Mark was actually very helpful and informative. Mark said that it appears that my RN (1144) should be around the end of August. I ordered 3 Feb 21 (MSLR, BLK/BLK, 19", FSD). He did say that ANY changes I make now (i.e. changing wheels from 19-21) would almost assuredly result in a delay of my car. So I will wait it out and we shall see what happens around the end of August. I did mention that I am in California for work and I would Uber from San Jose to Fremont if there was a car there that I could pick up :) He said there was not!!
You’ve given me some hope, my Tesla Twin. Actually we’re triplets with @boonedocks ! 😀 My SA-who has been very honest with me (basically he has no concrete info)-has told me he’s hopeful for me to take delivery by the end of Q3. August would be much appreciated.