Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting closer to an exciting day or closer to disappointment if they take the VIN away. If I get her that week, look for 1/4 mile numbers for the LR coming soon. Plan on doing it in all three driving modes. Fingers crossed.
Image 7-10-21 at 4.31 PM.jpeg

StateFarm charges me $513 for my P3 and quoted $700 for Plaid. Granted I have multi car, home, and umbrella but seems pretty Tesla friendly to me.
Yeah but then you have to have StateFarm. That company sucks.

If you want to stay on topic, just go to the last line.

I had StateFarm for 22 years. It was what my family used, so it carried over to my adult life. I never needed them for anything, so I just kept paying them. Then I had a malfunction with my breaks and ended up coasting into something (light pole). I was recently divorced, and did not know my ex had us on full coverage. A few weeks later, when I went to cancel the policy (car was totaled), I found out about the full coverage. They would not honor the claim unless I had an exact date. After arguing for a few minutes I gave them an exact date. I was then called a liar, since I already said I did not remember the date. A couple years later, I was engaged to be married. I sent my fiancé to my agent's office to pay the quarterly bill, and while she was there, he tried to convince her to reconsider marriage, because I am a liar. I got him fired for that one.

Then I bought my first house. A violent wind storm blew down my entire fence line. Since the house was not purchased new, and I had no receipt for a fence, they prorated the fence based on the age of the house, and cut me a check for about $80 to replace about 60 feet of 5 foot high wooden fence.

I am a very forgiving person, so I still kept paying them. Then years later, while driving to Albuquerque one night, I hit something in the road going about 80. Whatever it was, it punctured my front tire, rear wheel well, and broke the front axel on the passenger side. I did not want to make a claim, so I spent $1200 of my own money for a tire, new wheel well assembly, and the replacement of the right front axel. While pulling out of the dealership, the axel snapped again. This is when I realized my transmission was damaged. I called StateFarm, explained I initially replaced everything on my own, and had receipts to show timeline, including the tow truck cost. Since the object I hit did not strike the body, they said there was no proof of an accident (called me a liar again), and refused to honor the claim on my full coverage policy.

That was the last straw. I switched to USAA. Cheaper rates, and every time I had a claim, they went above and beyond. That same first house, I had water leaking into the front window during a storm. I called USAA. StateFarm gave me $80 for a fence. USAA looked at the water leak, went up and inspected the roof. They discovered the roof was missing flashing above that window. They cut me a check on the spot for about $22,000 to replace the entire roof, repair sheet rock damage on the inside of the window, and repaint the entire ceiling and wall. They also informed me the check was an estimate, and whatever the contractor ends up costing, they will cover the difference as well. every interaction I have had with USAA has been amazing.

I've had several other claims with USAA since. I always feel like they are protecting me rather than trying to find a way out if honoring coverage. If StateFarm offered me rates at 1/3 of USAA, I would still refuse.

Oh, I'm still blank.

Ceramic coating is not flexible when dry, is it? The kind used on cars chips off. You may have better luck using a sofa protector like my grandmother used to have. Kind of like sitting on a ziploc bag, but gotta keep the seats clean for the next owner. :)

Seriously, the car is meant to be driven, ridden in and used. I am all for ceramic or PPF outside if you really want it, but at some point, you should enjoy the car and realize it’s going to get scratches.
There are certain ceramic coatings that do bond so soft surfaces. I'm all for treating it like a car, but it's not farm truck 🙂. With the cost of a car like this I'll do whatever I can to keep it looking as new as I can for as long as I have it. Coatings like this are easy enough to install these days as DIY it's really worth the effort to me.

Yeah but then you have to have StateFarm. That company sucks.

If you want to stay on topic, just go to the last line.

I had StateFarm for 22 years. It was what my family used, so it carried over to my adult life. I never needed them for anything, so I just kept paying them. Then I had a malfunction with my breaks and ended up coasting into something (light pole). I was recently divorced, and did not know my ex had us on full coverage. A few weeks later, when I went to cancel the policy (car was totaled), I found out about the full coverage. They would not honor the claim unless I had an exact date. After arguing for a few minutes I gave them an exact date. I was then called a liar, since I already said I did not remember the date. A couple years later, I was engaged to be married. I sent my fiancé to my agent's office to pay the quarterly bill, and while she was there, he tried to convince her to reconsider marriage, because I am a liar. I got him fired for that one.

Then I bought my first house. A violent wind storm blew down my entire fence line. Since the house was not purchased new, and I had no receipt for a fence, they prorated the fence based on the age of the house, and cut me a check for about $80 to replace about 60 feet of 5 foot high wooden fence.

I am a very forgiving person, so I still kept paying them. Then years later, while driving to Albuquerque one night, I hit something in the road going about 80. Whatever it was, it punctured my front tire, rear wheel well, and broke the front axel on the passenger side. I did not want to make a claim, so I spent $1200 of my own money for a tire, new wheel well assembly, and the replacement of the right front axel. While pulling out of the dealership, the axel snapped again. This is when I realized my transmission was damaged. I called StateFarm, explained I initially replaced everything on my own, and had receipts to show timeline, including the tow truck cost. Since the object I hit did not strike the body, they said there was no proof of an accident (called me a liar again), and refused to honor the claim on my full coverage policy.

That was the last straw. I switched to USAA. Cheaper rates, and every time I had a claim, they went above and beyond. That same first house, I had water leaking into the front window during a storm. I called USAA. StateFarm gave me $80 for a fence. USAA looked at the water leak, went up and inspected the roof. They discovered the roof was missing flashing above that window. They cut me a check on the spot for about $22,000 to replace the entire roof, repair sheet rock damage on the inside of the window, and repaint the entire ceiling and wall. They also informed me the check was an estimate, and whatever the contractor ends up costing, they will cover the difference as well. every interaction I have had with USAA has been amazing.

I've had several other claims with USAA since. I always feel like they are protecting me rather than trying to find a way out if honoring coverage. If StateFarm offered me rates at 1/3 of USAA, I would still refuse.

Oh, I'm still blank.
That’s a really colorful story. Sure the same thing has happened to countless people. /s

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
plaid Red/black/cf/21/fsd in hand

first impressions as a multi Tesla owner for yrs:
- insane fast - there should be a sep license required for something like this honestly. Bad decisions can end up real bad real fast
- on that note - brakes are horrendous when slowing from a pull. Easily would have paid more for performance brakes
- interior fit and finish is much nicer. Attn to detail way better
- car feels tighter and noticeably smoother than previous gens
- yoke is awesome, like a video game, took 10min to get used to

there were 5 plaids there - mine, 1 white/black/wood, 1 black/black/cf and 2 msm/black/wood. Many many LR’s of all configs. Still looks to be msm/black/blue/white/red in that order in terms of what’s being delivered.

going to go for a drive again soon and enjoy. Car was delivered at 88%, will hit an SC and see what 100%SOC feels like!

If the above sounds like what you’re looking for out of this car you won’t be disappointed folks!
How is the road noise? I've been seeing mixed reviews, some saying it's insanely quiet while others complained of bad wind noise at high speeds. My M3P has way more road noise than my older Model S. Hoping to go back to quietness 🙂

Reactions: Ormond

- insane fast - there should be a sep license required for something like this honestly. Bad decisions can end up real bad real fast
- on that note - brakes are horrendous when slowing from a pull. Easily would have paid more for performance brakes

there were 5 plaids there - mine, 1 white/black/wood, 1 black/black/cf and 2 msm/black/wood. Many many LR’s of all configs. Still looks to be msm/black/blue/white/red in that order in terms of what’s being delivered.

going to go for a drive again soon and enjoy. Car was delivered at 88%, will hit an SC and see what 100%SOC feels like!

If the above sounds like what you’re looking for out of this car you won’t be disappointed folks!
Thanks for sharing your first impressions!

Re: brakes, this seems in line with everything that I've read and seen so far.
Surprisingly, the manual states that front rotors have gone up from 355mm in the old S to 380mm in the refresh (rear stays at 365mm).
So perhaps just a set of proper pads and slotted/drilled rotors will do the trick.

I don't understand how Tesla ships a car so powerful, fast, and heavy without super strong brakes. It's not like regen has gone up a ton (110kW max from what CAN sniffs are showing).

Allstate quoted me something similar so I’m kicking them to the curb after being a client for 25+ years. USAA quoted me about $100.00 a month.
I'm really jealous of all the low insurance rates you guys are quoting. I have 4 cars on the policy and two 18 year old drivers. I just got quotes from Progressive and Geico and the lowest annual premium I have found is $13,000

This USAA membership seems like the best deal I have ever heard of. I'm getting my father-in-law to sign up for membership so I can see what USAA will save us.

Last edited:
How is the road noise? I've been seeing mixed reviews, some saying it's insanely quiet while others complained of bad wind noise at high speeds. My M3P has way more road noise than my older Model S. Hoping to go back to quietness 🙂

Noisiest so far are the tires. Noticeably noisy IMO but that’s what we are used to with these crazy sticky Michelins. yes loudest aspect of the driving experience thus far has been tires. Still quieter than previous gens, overall.

Thanks for sharing your first impressions!

Re: brakes, this seems in line with everything that I've read and seen so far.
Surprisingly, the manual states that front rotors have gone up from 355mm in the old S to 380mm in the refresh (rear stays at 365mm).
So perhaps just a set of proper pads and slotted/drilled rotors will do the trick.

I don't understand how Tesla ships a car so powerful, fast, and heavy without super strong brakes. It's not like regen has gone up a ton (110kW max from what CAN sniffs are showing).

yes, in some of the videos of 1/4 pulls you see the drivers reaction when pushing the brakes, that’s spot on. It’s like “whoaaaa this car isn’t stopping like I’d think a car this fast would be…”. You’re right perhaps some pads/rotors for bite and lines to stiffen the pedal a bit would make a big diff.

What about my Semi reservation? When is that coming? I don’t have an EDD for that. I have to be able to tow my other Teslas in a covered trailer so they don’t get scratched or otherwise dinged while in motion.
Hahaha. My buddy has Semis on order. Said they were supposed to be first deliveries of them. Got pushed. Now beginning Q2 2022.

I'm really jealous of all the low insurance rates you guys are quoting. I have 4 cars on the policy and two 18 year old drivers. I just got quotes from Progressive and Geico and the lowest annual premium I have found is $13,000

This USAA membership seems like the best deal I have ever heard of. I'm getting my father-in-law to sign up for membership so I can see what USAA will save us.
Buy a couple "OLD" worthless car and put both 18 years on them as primary drivers. Save you $$$$. Been there;)

I am curious about the brakes, is it the feel that is concerning. My Model S at 80+ can hit the ABS limit on dry pavement. I know they would fade on the track, heat abatement is the definition of performance brakes. A single stop from triple digit speed should not be an issue, for emergencies I don’t care about how the brakes feel, I just press them all the way I can and let the ABS figure it out. Now if the pedal goes to the floor that is entirely a different issue(note my profile picture)

I am curious about the brakes, is it the feel that is concerning. My Model S at 80+ can hit the ABS limit on dry pavement. I know they would fade on the track, heat abatement is the definition of performance brakes. A single stop from triple digit speed should not be an issue, for emergencies I don’t care about how the brakes feel, I just press them all the way I can and let the ABS figure it out. Now if the pedal goes to the floor that is entirely a different issue(note my profile picture)
Are these brakes "Hydraulic"? That's an oil byproduct you know..... :rolleyes:

Reactions: EndlessPlaid

Congrats! You’re driving my EXACT config! When will the torture end??? 😭