Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can’t believe how low some of these utility rates are. I guess I should reword that, and say what the hell is going on with the electricity rates in California?

$.56 On-Peak and $.31 Off-Peak rates here in San Diego made the choice of solar an easy one. Just over 3 years of electricity bills fully covered a 15 kW system for my house.
Wow, we are .084 kwh here.

I can’t believe how low some of these utility rates are. I guess I should reword that, and say what the hell is going on with the electricity rates in California?

$.56 On-Peak and $.31 Off-Peak rates here in San Diego made the choice of solar an easy one. Just over 3 years of electricity bills fully covered a 15 kW system for my house.

We do not have peak or off peak. It is just tiered based on usage. The highest cost tier is $0.15 and it drops from there. We use enough to put us to 3rd or 4th tier and it is half of that of the first tier.

I could give you a very long-winded explanation. Suffice it to say that CPUC sucks and time of use (TOU) rates continue to slide as the solar and wind have created grid problems that no one is talking about. (Read more costs) Basically, generation has credits and incentives when storage is the current problem. (Generation will follow)

Solar in California produces the most power precisely when the power companies don't need it. Highest use is from 4 to 9 pm.

Worse still, the California has seen fit to reduce available generation pre-emptively, remember the storage problem, so we have grid risks that prompt partial outages of power supply.

Basically, they did everything backwards or, at a minimum, not in parallel.

Looks like a NEMA 10-30R -- should say something like that on the outlet. There is a UMC adaptor in the Tesla store--identified at 10-30.

O
Thanks a lot! Appreciate it. it doesn’t really say Nema 10-30 but its rated at 30 amp for upto 250 v.
The adapter seems to be out of stock though :(
6BB26A5B-E6AE-4F22-ACFF-7CF01788D03B.jpeg

2050064F-7CFB-4DE7-87F9-FC6A21599108.jpeg

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
You should be upset about fish more than cows. Fishing is causing the crisis not cows.

I'm buying a Tesla not because it saves the planet. It's cool to drive. Electricity is non sustainable as well. Most of our grid in the US can't handle an all electric world. Much less our power plants. It's nice you have your convictions. But pushing a vegan diet is like yelling at people they need to accept Jesus Christ. Most likely you're not going to change anyone's opinion if you tell them they're stupid for eating "charred meat"

On topic: still just August. But better than blank at least. Been holding strong there at least. Would love to see it actually come in August.
No, it's NOT like " . . . yelling at people they need to accept Jesus Christ."

It is actually the EXACT opposite, advising those with the ability to read of the FACTS of massive environmental impact of consuming animal flesh, worse than that of all transport combined . . . but actually addressing that topic would have prevented you from using a logical fallacy:

In closing, for those that are "triggered" by this, I recommend a look in the mirror and an ask: Why do facts that challenge your worldviews become so scary that you instantly resort to logical fallacies?

As adults, we are allowed to be better than our parents; let us be so.

We must if we are to leave a usable planet for others.

OT: Never had, and still don't have, an EDD. I don't even know where to look, and we've had our order in since DECEMBER, 2021.

For California...

Basically, if you are going to use power at a flat rate, tiered systems are WAY better. If you can push the majority of your usage to off-peak or super off-peak, you can crush tiered rates.
I refused to pay $.56 per kWh from 4-9 pm so Tesla solved my problem. I run the whole house off of either solar or my Powerwalls during this time frame.

1BE50342-4998-4D46-873F-76821C957F8F.jpeg

I know this is not page A1 news story, but surprised some of the trade magazines that monitor the car industry and in particular EV industry have not delved into the 19” tire story. Seems like some reporters would have decent connections at the factories and management and something could leak. Even if no leak, seems like a story enough for someone to look into.

I refused to pay $.56 per kWh from 4-9 pm so Tesla solved my problem. I run the whole house off of either solar or my Powerwalls during this time frame.

View attachment 685779
MD, sadly, is mainly a coal state, so it’s cheap, but really bad for the planet and I don’t have the luxury of paying for what I believe in or else I’d get solar. I do drive only EVs except for one - which I could replace if Tesla were willing to ever deliver my S! :)

Your argument posted earlier to another member on TMC this year (copied above) is I think what doubleshot is referencing. The member decided he had enough of Tesla and went back to his ICE vehicle - which we all understood but did not necessarily agree. I am all for saving the planet and have personally (and corporately) stepped up quite a bit. However, I am not part of your agenda of condescending self-righteousness. This is how you deal with people that do not fully agree with you - but not me.

You have some good points and obviously great intentions. So we are not so far off from each other.

Getting a Tesla - even if not for the planet - is still going to benefit the planet. Other items will follow as well for most. No need to berate people into your camp.
Well, we'll agree to disagree in how we achieve this goal--the pool is large enough for all to contribute.

In this case, if everyone shamed those that choose to intentionally dump GHG's (especially after having a Model S on order) for future generations to deal with, we'd have a LOT less GHG dumping, no? That's just my take, and I'm difficult I guess.

The "go along, get along" mentality is what most choose, never challenging those that just "make another choice." I'm different. When someone posts their "I don't give a damn" choice here, I call them out. Through either intentional and wilful ignorance, or just being stupidly ignorant, they persist with the status quo of powering their personal vehicle with fossil fuels.

I'm drafting a letter to a decades-long friend who just sold his Model 3 LR and purchased a 2021 BMW 4 Series . . . because he wife had range anxiety without any particular reason for having it. They both went to college, and both should know better, especially as they bred two human offspring that will outlive them. THESE TWO "ADULTS" ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM. In this letter I will include multiple articles from just the past weeks of record heat waves, floods, droughts, and the DIRECT RELATIONSHIP to their seemingly innocuous choice, with a reference to the Tragedy of the Commons.

Until we have the strong governmental leadership, fortitude, and competence, so as to place a tax on carbon dumping, individual citizens can make terrible choices that place our only planet in great peril--without any consequence whatsoever.

If this isn't a place for public shaming, what is?

Thank you, nonetheless, for your reasoned and intelligent thoughts on this.

"Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want."​

― Anna Lappe

View attachment 685779
Completely agree. The 4 to 9 rate only came into March 1st of force last year as the only residential TOU option. I am on 2 to 8, grandfathered until 2025. The whole deal with the 4 to 9 was to reduce the cost-effectiveness of solar. Until California has more storage they don't need any more solar. Federal incentives override that though.

We will be doing a powerwall this year or next. (more for the outages as we are a net generator)

Yes. They mess with you. The first 10 times or so you have hope. Then it becomes anger. After a month of it you really don't care anymore. It does not mean anything until your account looks like this.
View attachment 685761View attachment 685760
Looks like it's almost here! I drove past the Fort Myers SC today but they don't have any new cars in. Last week SA told me they are hopefully expecting some later this week. Congfrats

Thanks a lot! Appreciate it. it doesn’t really say Nema 10-30 but its rated at 30 amp for upto 250 v.
The adapter seems to be out of stock though :(View attachment 685778

View attachment 685777
Here you go

Parkworld 885521 EV Adapter Cord NEMA 10-30P to 14-50R

If you can afford a $100,000 car(and lose a lot of its value in the first 5 years) I am not sure how you say you can’t afford solar that will pay itself off in 7-10 years(in most cases). What was the payback period to make you decide it was not worth it?
Data point from 2013 (via our SolarCity 8 kW PV array):

$8k TOTAL cost for a pre-paid, 20-year lease

Payback in about a year and 3 months:
Annual electric bill (pre-solar): ~$2k; post-solar annual bill is about $43 (as in "forty-three dollars per year)
Annual gas bill, per car: ~$2k (two cars = $4k); post-solar, w/two EV's is now $0.00.

Obviously, an absolute no-brainer choice to install the solar for most, if not all?

NOTE: Even if it had cost TWICE as much, say $16k, the payback would have been about 2 and 1/2 years--STILL A NO-BRAINER CHOICE.

Every year after "payback" has been $6k in our pocket, or $60k by the decade.

This is not a hard call, especially as it also provides insurance against future utility rate increases which is also worth something of course . . . .

View attachment 685779
How long wil it take for your ROI, please? I just looked at my bill and can’t figure it out. It LOKS to me like about .09/kw but I think that’s too cheap, and he NJ average vials to be .16 a kw. If I spent $x,000 not sure how many years to break even.
wheni looked at solar years a e big sell was the SRECs and they bottomed out. I previously figured a 13 or more year ROI, IF nothing went wrong, worked properly, etc. - thanks!

Reactions: EndlessPlaid