Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this is not page A1 news story, but surprised some of the trade magazines that monitor the car industry and in particular EV industry have not delved into the 19” tire story. Seems like some reporters would have decent connections at the factories and management and something could leak. Even if no leak, seems like a story enough for someone to look into.
I can’t see it as more than a paragraph to the world. To us it is significant, but unless someone wants to bash Tesla, etc., then yawn… (just my opinion, I’d love to know the story, but not if I didn’t either own a Tesla or have an S on order…otherwise not on my radar…)

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
We do not have peak or off peak. It is just tiered based on usage. The highest cost tier is $0.15 and it drops from there. We use enough to put us to 3rd or 4th tier and it is half of that of the first tier.
Requested smart meter through my electric company and after installation, the new rates for me peak ($0.22), off-peak ($0.09) and super off-peak ($0.07) here in northern VA.

Well, we'll agree to disagree in how we achieve this goal--the pool is large enough for all to contribute.

In this case, if everyone shamed those that choose to intentionally dump GHG's (especially after having a Model S on order) for future generations to deal with, we'd have a LOT less GHG dumping, no? That's just my take, and I'm difficult I guess.

The "go along, get along" mentality is what most choose, never challenging those that just "make another choice." I'm different. When someone posts their "I don't give a damn" choice here, I call them out. Through either intentional and wilful ignorance, or just being stupidly ignorant, they persist with the status quo of powering their personal vehicle with fossil fuels.

I'm drafting a letter to a decades-long friend who just sold his Model 3 LR and purchased a 2021 BMW 4 Series . . . because he wife had range anxiety without any particular reason for having it. They both went to college, and both should know better, especially as they bred two human offspring that will outlive them. THESE TWO "ADULTS" ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM. In this letter I will include multiple articles from just the past weeks of record heat waves, floods, droughts, and the DIRECT RELATIONSHIP to their seemingly innocuous choice, with a reference to the Tragedy of the Commons.

Until we have the strong governmental leadership, fortitude, and competence, so as to place a tax on carbon dumping, individual citizens can make terrible choices that place our only planet in great peril--without any consequence whatsoever.

If this isn't a place for public shaming, what is?

Thank you, nonetheless, for your reasoned and intelligent thoughts on this.

"Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want."​

― Anna Lappe
Best of luck with not losing your decade long friend. There is an odd zealotry that can occur when we have a sense of righteousness. And I am not saying you are wrong. Early adopters tend to approach everything in an on/off mode. Folks are coming along though never fast enough.

Governments are coming along too. Sadly, the zealots have gone about this in a backward thinking method. The actual problems are framed the wrong way and being solved based on that incorrect framing.

Through either intentional and wilful ignorance, or just being stupidly ignorant, they persist with the status quo

We need to avoid talking or even thinking about each other this way.

Cheers

Data point from 2013 (via our SolarCity 8 kW PV array):

$8k TOTAL cost for a pre-paid, 20-year lease

Payback in about a year and 3 months:
Annual electric bill (pre-solar): ~$2k; post-solar annual bill is about $43 (as in "forty-three dollars per year)
Annual gas bill, per car: ~$2k (two cars = $4k); post-solar, w/two EV's is now $0.00.

Obviously, an absolute no-brainer choice to install the solar for most, if not all?

NOTE: Even if it had cost TWICE as much, say $16k, the payback would have been about 2 and 1/2 years--STILL A NO-BRAINER CHOICE.

Every year after "payback" has been $6k in our pocket, or $60k by the decade.

This is not a hard call, especially as it also provides insurance against future utility rate increases which is also worth something of course . . . .
This cannot be accurate. I expect this is only for the panels. Excluding supporting hardware and installation. My 7.7 kWh system cost 24k for install. I live in a high energy sun zone. (Less panels for power production)

I did get a 30% federal credit. That is being phased out. Net 17.7k My payback is about 7.5 years.

How long wil it take for your ROI, please? I just looked at my bill and can’t figure it out. It LOKS to me like about .09/kw but I think that’s too cheap, and he NJ average vials to be .16 a kw. If I spent $x,000 not sure how many years to break even.
wheni looked at solar years a e big sell was the SRECs and they bottomed out. I previously figured a 13 or more year ROI, IF nothing went wrong, worked properly, etc. - thanks!
Normally, power bills are set up in two primary sections: Generation and distribution. You get to shave the generation piece. The distribution is being used by you, both ways, incoming and outgoing. 9 cents could be correct for generation average with 7 cents or distribution.

ROI will be super challenging without shaving the peak use rates. It sounds like NJ may not have variable rates based on peak pricing.

I don’t know if the beta items come with a refresh. My car has a birthdate of mid-June per my SA but probably comes from earlier stock since it has a “433” VIN. i received an overnight automatic software update on July 9th to this version with all the “beta” stuff in parentheses. I don’t remember getting an invite or anything but I did turn in the beta items when they showed up on screen and had to click a confirm button to accept. As a first time Tesla owner, I don’t know what other folks are experiencing. But yes, this version does Autosteer city streets.
That's awesome. Good to know. Thank you ma'am. Hell, by the time I get mine all the bugs should be worked out!! lol.

I got the same thing, but you’d still net $5k if you dropped FSD.

Personally, as someone who has FSD on my vision only Y, it’s pretty worthless with Tesla Vision unless/until they ever release the “city” version. Which I don’t see happening for a long time regardless of what Uncle Elon says. Auto lane change is the only thing of value. Smart summon has never worked well - before or after Tesla Vision. The same is true with autopark- pretty worthless.

September for my S and X.
Exactly. I don't see any way Tesla will release the current iterations to the general public. As Elon himself has said, the driver has to be "paranoid" when using it. Just too many bad things can happen until it gets closer to something like Level 5, and there's too many irresponsible folks out there who won't be hyper-aware of what the computer is doing wrong.

So enjoy Autopilot for what it is.

Last edited:
This cannot be accurate. I expect this is only for the panels. Excluding supporting hardware and installation. My 7.7 kWh system cost 24k for install. I live in a high energy sun zone. (Less panels for power production)

I did get a 30% federal credit. That is being phased out. Net 17.7k My payback is about 7.5 years.
I also can vouch, back in 2011 I got a 8k string inverters (5k and 3k) from SolarCity for $7400 on a prepaid lease for 20 yrs.
Total complete out of pocket expense was $7400.
I am in Los Angeles where I'd imagine it's a high energy zone as well.