Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you want to spend your time suing Tesla over $100 then have at it. IMO complaining about the $100 deposit is like trying to unspill milk at this point.

We have little to gain by canceling and only upside by holding on to the reservation. Worst case you refuse delivery, best case someone offers you a ridiculous premium for the car you didn’t want anyways. Or just maybe you decide you want the car after all.
You actually do have something to gain from cancelling preorders. It lets all the insulated managers, who won't talk to customers, have to deal with the metrics in their power point slides of decreasing reservations and cancelled orders.

Holding on to a reservation you don't want just lets them pat each other on the back for the loyalty of their customers. I bet there is a threshold of canceled reservations that makes someone ask what they can do to fix that trend.

It’s a promotional rate if you buy a car through them. Regular rate is 1.99% which is still great comparing to other places. I have PenFed and recommend it to anyone on the east coast.
ahh..So cant do new TEsla and get 0.9 then?

Either way, I also see 1.79% for 36 months. Either way, even 1.99 at 60 months is better financial move than to pay cash outright for the Model S. (assuming one does in fact invest the $80+k in the market over that timeframe)

You actually do have something to gain from cancelling preorders. It lets all the insulated managers, who won't talk to customers, have to deal with the metrics in their power point slides of decreasing reservations and cancelled orders.

Holding on to a reservation you don't want just lets them pat each other on the back for the loyalty of their customers. I bet there is a threshold of canceled reservations that makes someone ask what they can do to fix that trend.
once 99% of orders cancel, that may put them on yellow alert. MAYBE.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
in the meantime this is happening :)

1627492859851.png

That rate is for using Penfed's car buying service, but of course you cannot buy a new Tesla using that.
Agreed. But there is 1.79 avail. Still a rate that is highly attractive vs buying outright.
Leveraging low interest loans to one's advantage is one step used by those building wealth (like Elon) and it also helps offsetting (a bit) of cost of acquiring depreciating assets..

You perfectly summed up my thoughts.
Can I swing a Plaid? Sure. Will I feel better about myself for getting one? I dunno.
I'm sure I'd have a grin every time I got in it (so that may be the answer right there) and I'd know unless there was something crazy with the planets, I can beat just any car at a light, merging onto the highway, etc.
Less impressive in the streets of Manhattan. or stop and go traffic. And there's a small range hit over the LR.

But is it worth the price delta to me?

I think I would STILL grin every time I got in my LR, and I know I could beat ALMOST any car at a light. If I see a Plaid badge, I'd just put the car in park and forget about it :)

And I would definitely feel better about myself for saving the cash.

I think I'd feel REALLY BAD if the Lucid or the whatever came out, and could beat the Plaid - to a certain extent in my mind the price difference is the tech, the cutting edge, the speed, but also the "bragging rights" - whether my car could beat your car, or I had the inaugural class of car that broke records.

I also think about tech, and I can envision (right or wrong) that an LR with 4680 cells MIGHT have equal to, or more juice or speed than the Plaid (I know, carbon rotors, a third one, some improved tech in the Plaid) but like most electronics or tech, costs often come down and improve, so the Plaid is the king right now - but what about in 2 years?

I think some folks actually go to drag strips (not me). Want that speed. It's their hobby or passion.

Me? I drive like an old bastard anyway, so 0-60 in 3.1 is at least former supercar status, bragging rights and quick to me, but since I can go 0 to 60 in 4.7 right now in my 449 hp beast, and I probably don't accelerate like that more than once/month if that, the 3.1 is plenty, and $45k for an extra second or so? Not MY cup of tea.
I'd rather get a Y or most of a Y for that.
I see the allure of the Plaid. I even feel it at times (like shift to Plaid, get my car sooner, perhaps) but getting the LR feels more "sensible" to me.
Completely Agree with your thoughts. I asked the question initially only because of what seems to be the priority of deliveries right now. LR will give ”almost” everything Plaid will, with much less cost. The only reason I contemplated going Plaid route was to possibly getting it earlier plus obviously being the fastest prod car on the planet is something I for one never imaging before having in my garage. The thought of being able to beat any car on the road (whether one does it or not) is gratifying enough IMO.

Is waiting possibly 2 additional months worth $45k is probably the question I should have asked.