Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you owned a GT-R before?
Yes. 2012 GT-R Black Ed -- full bolt-on with custom ECU tune (for E85 fuel), downpipes, midpipe, upgraded fuel pumps, and Armytrix valved exhaust...approx 700 HP/TQ. Ran 10.2 sec @ 136mph 1/4 mi and 2.7 sec 0-60mph. Sold with > 56k mi. for almost $60k in 2019.

Attachments

• Sflgator 2012 Nissan GT-R Black Ed.jpg
    Sflgator 2012 Nissan GT-R Black Ed.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 60
Well, I'm in a 7-day window for several days now, but it keeps pushing out that window. My SA said that my account says this:

"Soft match to future build slot".

She said lots of other Plaid orders don't say this, and she doesn't know what it means. Anyone have any ideas?
Exactly. See my post just above. The whole “soft match” thing has been mentioned before. I believe it means that assuming their production window goes according to plan, your scheduled to get a car. There are a good number of people who have had the shrinking date range that gets to 7-days and shortly after, get a VIN.

I think this is more about visible innovation and providing steps of improvement that prompt incremental increases in adoption.

0-60 in 4.5 was enough to capture some. 4 seconds captured more. 2.5 yet even more. 2.0 and everyone that is not an outright Tesla hater wants one.

Next step could be built into the plaid.

Short-term rocket propulsion built into the roadster to get around traction limitations to follow.

As I said, I think the steps are about creating more adopters. Myself as an example, I only became ready "adopt" late last year. They brought out the plaid and I purchased my place in line.
Exactly! Additionally, if you're Tesla, you want to push, and create a benchmark. After that benchmark is made, you want to leave some reserve left in it, so that when (if) competitors ever catch up, they will have spent most, if not all, of their budget developing it. After this, Tesla could release a simple flip of a switch, and STILL come out on top. By the time competitors recoup that money, and if they ever reach that new benchmark, the next generation of Tesla’s performance vehicles is ready to go. In short, you as Tesla would never want to give other auto makers the goal of your true potential, just what you are achieving currently.

Exactly. See my post just above. The whole “soft match” thing has been mentioned before. I believe it means that assuming their production window goes according to plan, your scheduled to get a car. There are a good number of people who have had the shrinking date range that gets to 7-days and shortly after, get a VIN.

You'd better be right! I like that! :D

Exactly! Additionally, if you're Tesla, you want to push, and create a benchmark. After that benchmark is made, you want to leave some reserve left in it, so that when (if) competitors ever catch up, they will have spent all of their money developing it. After this, Tesla could release a simple flip of a switch, and STILL come out on top. By the time competitors recoup that money, and if they ever reach that new benchmark, the next generation of Tesla’s performance vehicles is ready to go. In short, you as Tesla would never want to give other auto makers the goal of your true potential, just what you are achieving currently.
They first need to meet the specs you saw when you ordered your Plaid....200 mph*

You'd better be right! I like that! :D
Me too as I hit the 7-day window today after 8-days of date narrowing! On the positive side, I haven’t seen anyone say they’ve had the shrinking date range over a couple weeks that then went blank or to a generic month. It always seems to end up with a VIN. With mine, I expect the 7-day window to move out one day tomorrow or have a VIN show up.

Hope the theory holds up!

My speculation is that they plan out their production 2-3 weeks in advanced based on parts on hand or anticipated delivery of parts and efficiency of the production line. If in the production planning phase they match you with a car they anticipate building, you get a date range. As that production window progresses, your date range narrows. Stuff can happen like production delays or parts deliveries not showing up so the date range may stall. But, if you have a date range, evidence has shown it’s a good sign.
I hope you are right. I will point out that my date range has expanded slightly over the past week. Perhaps the monkey's foot hit the wrong key. ;)

I tend to agree. I don't doubt for a second that the Plaid is capable of more. These motors are just astonishing.

At the delivery event on June 10th, I remember one of the Tesla engineers went into some details about the tri-motors being rated for up to 400hp each or 1200hp combined. I wasn't there but watched the video.

At the delivery event on June 10th, I remember one of the Tesla engineers went into some details about the tri-motors being rated for up to 400hp each or 1200hp combined.
Yup! I doubt the current battery could support that even with SW, but with 18650 advancements in the next years, that may be possible. Currently, it's likely that Plaid could support maybe 1,100 hp or so. Whenever the 4680s arrive in the Model S, then I could absolutely see more than 1,200 hp out of the Plaid with the motor advancements that could happen in like 4-8 years.

At the delivery event on June 10th, I remember one of the Tesla engineers went into some details about the tri-motors being rated for up to 400hp each or 1200hp combined. I wasn't there but watched the video.
Yeah I saw that as well. I think he said the battery was the limiting factor which the Plaid+ was suppose to resolve. Since they couldn't do that in a timely manner, the Plaid plus is good enough…

Edit: of course @2021plaid beat me to it 😂

Me too as I hit the 7-day window today after 8-days of date narrowing! On the positive side, I haven’t seen anyone say they’ve had the shrinking date range over a couple weeks that then went blank or to a generic month. It always seems to end up with a VIN. With mine, I expect the 7-day window to move out one day tomorrow or have a VIN show up.

Let's keep each other posted! This thread is pretty quiet don't you think? 🤣

Im praying you’re right. I placed my order on July 17th. It showed EDD of August. Then it changed to July 24th - August 8th. It’s has been shrinking ever since that date range. Today it shows July 31st - August 8th. So hopefully a VIN to come soon. Fingers crossed 🤞🏼.

Account still says I will get a car in July 🤌🏻And who cares that I don’t have a VIN!?
Keep it up Tesla!!!!
I was two weeks past the date showing on my order page before they finally capitulated and changed it. Only to change it again, and again, and again. Until they finally stopped with the lies, tore off the band aid and just made it go blank!!! Annndddd, here I sit, waiting!!

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Im praying you’re right. I placed my order on July 17th. It showed EDD of August. Then it changed to July 24th - August 8th. It’s has been shrinking ever since that date range. Today it shows July 31st - August 8th. So hopefully a VIN to come soon. Fingers crossed 🤞🏼.
Maybe I'm missing something but would you mind taking a screenshot of where on the Tesla site you see the EDD? I'm hearing lots of people that ordered around when I did that are seen dates but I have absolutely nothing.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
They did the same thing with the Model 3 LR. And then oh, look, a $2k boost update, and now it's so close to the Model 3 P it's silly, especially from a roll - where in some testing the LR 3 pulls ahead. Definitely left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth...
It's a little different with the S refresh. The Model 3 LR and Model 3P have the same battery and dual motor set up so it was obvious Tesla was software limiting the Model 3 LR. Even though the S Plaid and S LR have the same battery pack (I think,) the 3 motors in the Plaid vs. the 2 motors in the LR should separate the two cars even if a LR acceleration boost ever comes out. Tesla can probably improve the S LR 0-60 acceleration by a half second (and the 1/4 by half second) but I doubt the LR will ever get into the 9s unless a third motor is added if that's even possible.