Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I can't quote any studies per se, but anytime you increase the width or contact patch of a tire, you effectively increase its overall height as well. That's why the Plaid has 30 series sidewalls on the rears for the 295s, and 35 series sidewalls on the front for the 265s. They can go to a smaller size sidewall, and maintain the same diameter of the wheel. So, they DEFINITELY can massively affect range. Just the tires being this much wider alone shows a big improvement in efficiency, as these cars are achieving better ranges with 295s or 285s in the back, versus the pre refresh 265s or 245s.
Ahh gotcha, these aren't too high, i think:

Rear 305/30/R19 - Discount Tire | Tires and Wheels for Sale | Online & In-Person
Front 235/40/R19 - https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...ireModel=Pilot+Sport+4S&partnum=34YR9PS4SXLV2

I'm a noob when it comes to tires so i have no idea if they're correct though! Anyone know if these would work/be optimal for 19" 0-60 times?

Ahh gotcha, these aren't too high, i think:

Rear - Discount Tire | Tires and Wheels for Sale | Online & In-Person
Front - https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...ireModel=Pilot+Sport+4S&partnum=34YR9PS4SXLV2

I'm a noob when it comes to tires so i have no idea if they're correct though!
Ooooh whoa ok those tires in the front may be a little on the skinny size. A good rule of thumb IMO, is if you want the car to maintain as much of its original state as possible from OEM, don't deviate too much from the factory's setup. This tbh, would probably make the car's handling less good. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Michelin PS4S tires, but this is still a 4766 pound car, so those may be a little too skinny. I would recommend 255 (stock) at least.🙂

Regarding range though, I think you'll be just fine. Maybe 375 to 385 in ideal conditions (before you start adding in high speed, A/C usage, etc..). The stock wheels, being 10.5 inches in the rear, should fit a 305 no problem.

Ooooh whoa ok those tires in the front may be a little on the skinny size. A good rule of thumb IMO, is if you want the car to maintain as much of its original state as possible from OEM, don't deviate too much from the factory's setup. This tbh, would probably make the car's handling less good. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Michelin PS4S tires, but this is still a 4766 pound car, so those may be a little too skinny. I would recommend 255 (stock) at least.🙂

Regarding range though, I think you'll be just fine. Maybe 375 to 385 in ideal conditions (before you start adding in high speed, A/C usage, etc..). The stock wheels, being 10.5 inches in the rear, should fit a 305 no problem.
Gotcha, yeah definitely don't want handling to get worse - if anything better handling would be great + more range haha. Would you recommend Michelin PS4S 255/35ZR19/XL (Overall Diameter 26.02) or 255/40ZR19/XL (Overall Diameter 27.12) for the fronts?

Gotcha, yeah definitely don't want handling to get worse - if anything better handling would be great + more range haha. Would you recommend Michelin PS4S 255/35ZR19/XL (Overall Diameter 26.02) or 255/40ZR19/XL (Overall Diameter 27.12) for the fronts?
Being that the stock 19s ride on 45s, I would do 40s at least. Any more, and you'll start messing with the ride quality. The 40s should be 👌👍🙂.

Being that the stock 19s ride on 45s, I would do 40s at least. Any more, and you'll start messing with the ride quality. The 40s should be 👌👍🙂.
Awesome! 😃 That makes sense! So:
Rear - 305/30/R19
Front - 255/40ZR19

Would that be the best config for 19s, or would you recommend anything slightly different? I'd love to hit the same 0-60s as the 21s, no slippage and retain as much range as possible! 😄

Awesome! 😃 That makes sense! So:
Rear - 305/30/R19
Front - 255/40ZR19

Would that be the best config for 19s, or would you recommend anything slightly different? I'd love to hit the same 0-60s as the 21s, no slippage and retain as much range as possible! 😄
Mmmmmm I would up that rear sidewall to a 35, so there's only a 5 MM difference. Then I think you're pretty much good. You may notice that the ride may be slightly stiffer, but it shouldn't be too harsh. I think range should stay about the same, maybe down 10 to 20 miles at most, because as you've increased the width, you've also lowered the sidewalls front and rear, so they have a mild cancelling effect on each other. Not completely, but notable I would think. The Michelins are EXCELLENT, so slippage I see being a thing of the past.🙂

Looks like Michelin has even wider tires for the rears with a similar overall diameter so range should be pretty good, yet even grippier? I'm just unsure how wide is too wide :p

315/30/R19 - Overall Diameter 26.52
325/30/R19 - Overall Diameter 26.72
355/30Z/R19 - Overall Diameter 27.42
Yeah HOLY crap PLEASE don't do 355 rofl! They'll stick out of the fenders lol! In all seriousness, I would go 305. Any more, and you may start rubbing, or looking a little too wide. The tire widths for the upcoming Track Pack are 305s, so I would go with what Tesla feels safe doing.🙂

Mmmmmm I would up that rear sidewall to a 35, so there's only a 5 MM difference. Then I think you're pretty much good. You may notice that the ride may be slightly stiffer, but it shouldn't be too harsh. I think range should stay about the same, maybe down 10 to 20 miles at most, because as you've increased the width, you've also lowered the sidewalls front and rear, so they have a mild cancelling effect on each other. Not completely, but notable I would think. The Michelins are EXCELLENT, so slippage I see being a thing of the past.🙂
It doesn't look like they have 35s for that width sadly 😢

Oh yikes. Looks like 25, 30 and 35
Ok then, there's your answer my dude! 35 is what you will be ok with I think. Manufacturers do a 5 MM difference front to back all the time. In all honesty, the tires are the main things that will determine your 0-60, with the contact patch being a notable factor. I look at it this way: if Tesla uses 295s with those tires, I think you'll be fine.🙂

• Love
Reactions: impastu and Venom
Ok then, there's your answer my dude! 35 is what you will be ok with I think. Manufacturers do a 5 MM difference front to back all the time. In all honesty, the tires are the main things that will determine your 0-60, with the contact patch being a notable factor. I look at it this way: if Tesla uses 295s with those tires, I think you'll be fine.🙂
Awesome, I'm really excited to get these! Will the handling be just as good/better than stock? Also, range should be about the same (within 5'ish miles)? Since the diameter is very similar, which has the most impact!

• Love
Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Awesome, I'm really excited to get these! Will the handling be just as good/better than stock? Also, range should be about the same (within 5'ish miles)? Since the diameter is very similar, which has the most impact!
Oh Heck yes the handling will be better! You have gone down on sidewall, which is the main reason why the bigger wheels handle better: they have less squishiness so to speak for the car to body roll through. Additionally, you are dramatically increasing your mechanical grip, so it will stick way better. And just to not get your hopes up, maybe a 25 mile hit at the most. That would be extreme though, and I see more like 5 or 15 being more likely.

Reactions: jebinc
Oh Heck yes the handling will be better! You have gone down on sidewall, which is the main reason why the bigger wheels handle better: they have less squishiness so to speak for the car to body roll through. Additionally, you are dramatically increasing your mechanical grip, so it will stick way better. And just to not get your hopes up, maybe a 25 mile hit at the most. That would be extreme though, and I see more like 5 or 15 being more likely.
I actually think the range will be within 1-2 miles! If you check out the video @planetary linked (up to 3 min 50), you will notice that an increase of 205mm width to 305mm with changed the range by just 1.7 miles!