Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't even thought to add music to it yet. I'll look into that. It's recording video, but the video I have has gaps in the footage. I'm not sure if that is an issue with the sandisk or an issue with the Tesla. Since this is my first Tesla, I don't know what to make of it yet.

I haven't messed with the car enough to have any intelligent opinions on the discrepancies. I'll definitely look into music files.

As for setup, I simply plugged it into the Tesla, selected "format", and the folder needed was created.
Has it been hot lately (and hot in the car)? I have been looking at the operating temps of most of the SSDs and haven't found one yet that states it operates normally much past 100f. I wonder if the heat is causing issues, in which case an ultra high endurance SD card might work better?

I haven't even thought to add music to it yet. I'll look into that. It's recording video, but the video I have has gaps in the footage. I'm not sure if that is an issue with the sandisk or an issue with the Tesla. Since this is my first Tesla, I don't know what to make of it yet.

I haven't messed with the car enough to have any intelligent opinions on the discrepancies. I'll definitely look into music files.

As for setup, I simply plugged it into the Tesla, selected "format", and the folder needed was created.
Likely the firmware. I have had various USB and flash drives (including a Sandisk) and each of them are jumpy / missing footage. It is just Tesla’s implementation. Hopefully they figure it out.

My first funny sentry mode event and my first service appointment:

I had to drop off my LR today to correct everything I had from my delivery inspection. As an excuse to drive the car one last time yesterday, I decided to take my daughter out for dinner. When I returned from dinner, I had my first humorous sentry mode recording.

I had parked next to a pair of Harley's when I arrived. I returned to find a recording of the couple checking out my Tesla. They were a grizzled looking couple in their late 50's, looking the part with leather gear and accessories. The man took notice first and walked around to the back of my car. He turned his head inquisitively, and then motioned for what I assume to be his wife to join him. When she got to the back of my LR, he pointed at it and started talking about the Tesla. She walked away, and then he went to the passenger side.

He put his hands to his face to block the sun, and leaned in to look through the tinted window, respectfully avoiding any contact with the car. He then turned to his wife excitedly, held his hands up like you would grip the yoke, and then motioned back and forth like he was showing how you would turn the yoke. She came over and looked, waved her hand forward dismissively, and then held her hands up like she was turning the yoke 90 degrees and could not turn anymore. She walked away again. He took one more long look at the LR, and they both put on their gear and left. I got a good chuckle at the whole thing.

My SC is 45 minutes away. The original plan was for my wife to follow me to the SC, then take me back home to get my secondary vehicle. Because of work commitments, she could not come with me. I heard about the Tesla Uber credits, so I was prepared to take a 45 minute Uber to work, and my wife planned to pick me up at the end of the day.

I arrived at the SC 40 minutes early. Much to my surprise, a SA came out as I approached the building, motioned where to park, and immediately began assisting me. There were three other customers in the building, but he was multi-tasking and helping all of us as different service center personal were handing off keys or paper work. He verified what my appointment was for and I took the opportunity to mention two other concerns.

I pointed out how loud my AC system sounds. I said I would like them to verify the sound is normal, or let me know if it requires work. I also told him that my front cameras are foggy. I showed him how they left smudges and finger prints between the glass and front camera assembly during manufacture, and I didn't notice it until viewing my first sentry mode events. I expected them to schedule a new appointment for the windshield, but he said it was not a problem and added it to the list of things they will do.

I was told they should be done by the end of the day. I thanked him and mentioned I'll need to call an Uber to get out of here. That's when he said "Oh no, we're giving you a loaner." I was shocked, and was expecting a Model 3 that I could use to get to work. I was really shocked when he pulled around in a 2017 P100D. I have a lot to say about the P100D, but I will put that in another post tomorrow.

They called me back at 3 PM. One of my issues to correct was the rubbing yoke on the steering column. They said they found a clicking noise, and a broken component inside the steering column, most likely broken at the factory. They told me to keep the loaner, and I should have the car back on Friday. I will follow up with how this concludes, but so far I am extremely happy with my first service appointment.
4C69F626-44F8-4CAB-845A-1CEFEF4E278C.jpeg

Last edited:
My first funny sentry mode event and my first service appointment:

I had to drop off my LR today to correct everything I had from my delivery inspection. As an excuse to drive the car one last time yesterday, I decided to take my daughter out for dinner. When I returned from dinner, I had my first humorous sentry mode recording.

I had parked next to a pair of Harley's when I arrived. I returned to find a recording of the couple checking out my Tesla. They were a grizzled looking couple in their late 50's, looking the part with leather gear and accessories. The man took notice first and walked around to the back of my car. He turned his head inquisitively, and then motioned for what I assume to be his wife to join him. When she got to the back of my LR, he pointed at it and started talking about the Tesla. She walked away, and then he went to the passenger side.

He put his hands to his face to block the sun, and leaned in to look through the tinted window, respectfully avoiding any contact with the car. He then turned to his wife excitedly, held his hands up like you would grip the yoke, and then motioned back and forth like he was showing how you would turn the yoke. She came over and looked, waved her hand forward dismissively, and then held her hands up like she was turning the yoke 90 degrees and could not turn anymore. She walked away again. He took one more long look at the LR, and they both put on their gear and left. I got a good chuckle at the whole thing.

My SC is 45 minutes away. The original plan was for my wife to follow me to the SC, then take me back home to get my secondary vehicle. Because of work commitments, she could not come with me. I heard about the Tesla Uber credits, so I was prepared to a 45 minute Uber to work, and my wife planned to pick me up at the end of the day.

I arrived at the SC 40 minutes early. Much to my surprise, a SA came out as I approached the building, motioned where to park, and immediately began assisting me. There were three other customers in the building, but he was multi-tasking and helping all of us as different service center personal were handing off keys or paper work. He verified what my appointment was for and I took the opportunity to mention two other concerns.

I pointed out how loud my AC system sounds. I said I would like them to verify the sound is normal, or let me know if it requires work. I also told him that my front cameras are foggy. I showed him how they left smudges and finger prints between the glass and front camera assembly during manufacture, and I didn't notice it until viewing my first sentry mode events. I expected them to schedule a new appointment for the windshield, but he said it was not a problem and added it to the list of things they will do.

I was told they should be done by the end of the day. I thanked him and mentioned I'll need to call an Uber to get out of here. That's when he said "Oh no, we're giving you a loaner." I was shocked, and was expecting a Model 3 that I could use to get to work. I was really shocked when he pulled around in a 2017 P100D. I have a lot to say about the P100D, but I will put that in another post tomorrow.

They called me back at 3 PM. One of my issues to correct was the rubbing yoke on the steering column. They said they found a clicking noise, and a broken component inside the steering column, most likely broken at the factory. They told me to keep the loaner, and I should have the car back on Friday. I will follow up with how this concludes, but so far I am extremely happy with my first service appointment.
View attachment 706549
You don't have to divulge too much to your upcoming P100D post, but......big difference in the power curves isn't there? ;)

You don't have to divulge too much to your upcoming P100D post, but......big difference in the power curves isn't there? ;)
Yeah I did about ten 0-60"s so far. The P100D pulls MUCH harder than the LR, but then from 70-120 it seems to die around 100, where the LR just keeps pulling.

Yeah I did about ten 0-60"s so far. The P100D pulls MUCH harder than the LR, but then from 70-120 it seems to die around 100, where the LR just keeps pulling.
Oh yeah. Yeah the P100D is gut wrenching, almost more so than the Raven, but that thing hits a wall pretty fast. Knew you would notice the difference! Amazing the progress in just 4 years. The engineering is just......breathtaking. :)

Oh yeah. Yeah the P100D is gut wrenching, almost more so than the Raven, but that thing hits a wall pretty fast. Knew you would notice the difference! Amazing the progress in just 4 years. The engineering is just......breathtaking. :)
Has anybody here gone from P100D to Plaid? I've always heard the P100D was more gut wrenching than the Ravens and I'm scared the Plaid will be less of a gut punch than my P100D at the lower (legal!) speeds. I love my silver 2018 unicorn with sunroof and ventilated seats.

Ah. My bad. I purchased a CF replacement emblem But can’t figure out how to remove the existing one. In hindsight getting a CF sticker would have probably been easier.
It’s the same torx screw behind the emblem. I think I used a rotator ratchet to unscrew it easier. If you still can’t figure it out by later today, I can see if I can get a photo or video for you.

How about a "front passenger seat restraint system malfunction detected" warning? Is that the same sort of thing, that goes away on its own (isn't a real fault)? It happened to me, but was gone the next day.
Several members have had this problem. Service Center doesn’t seem to know what the issue is. Most posts I’ve seen basically said the Service Center tried some stuff (disconnect and connect things, test some components) then put things back together and the error was gone, so they returned to car to the customer. At least one case the member said the error came back again. In my case I haven’t had the error show up again since they “tested” the components.

Anyone whose done some highway driving know if Painters Tape helps at all for a 300 mile road trip from a delivery center to home
I know it won't really protect against major rock chips but if it helps some pitting then im all for it
I’ve done a 1000 mile plus road trip in a lowered car with painters tape, and it held up well. I overlapped each strip of tape 50%, so it was two layers.

D1F537FE-1F80-4A95-9DE5-BEF3BF8AEC3A.png

They called me back at 3 PM. One of my issues to correct was the rubbing yoke on the steering column. They said they found a clicking noise, and a broken component inside the steering column, most likely broken at the factory.
I had the Service Center try to fix the rubbing sound when turning the yoke. They also told me there was a defective part inside from the factory (SCCM/clock spring), and they were certain that was the problem. Waited for the part to come and they replaced it, but when I picked up the car, the rubbing sound was still there. Will probably wait a bit this time before bringing it back to see if they come up with a better fix.

Rage! Genuinely don’t know what happened got out of the car after driving this afternoon and found this. Must have run over something in one of the bajillion construction zones around here. That piece of concrete pierced all the way through the sidewall and damaged the rim. I can’t believe that tire is still holding air. Ugh.View attachment 706438
What are the odds? Sucks man!

@AnselmDante - how’s your sandisk extreme working? Easy set up per the video? Have you separated and added folders on it yet for music too?
I followed some instructions on youtube using 'disk management' (a PC) to create 3 partitions, a 250 GB one for Teslacam, a 200 GB one for music, and a third small one for Boombox. Works fine, and now I have just one big usb drive plugged into the glovebox out of the way.

I followed some instructions on youtube using 'disk management' (a PC) to create 3 partitions, a 250 GB one for Teslacam, a 200 GB one for music, and a third small one for Boombox. Works fine, and now I have just one big usb drive plugged into the glovebox out of the way.
Out of curiosity, are you able to click the camera icon and view dash cam and sentry clips in the vehicle? I have been fussing around with this and while being able to do so on our M3, I am unable to figure it out on the S. I am able to plug the hard drive into a computer and view them though - simply missing the icon to touch on my S (if this makes sense).

Out of curiosity, are you able to click the camera icon and view dash cam and sentry clips in the vehicle? I have been fussing around with this and while being able to do so on our M3, I am unable to figure it out on the S. I am able to plug the hard drive into a computer and view them though - simply missing the icon to touch on my S (if this makes sense).
What software version are you running on your refreshed Model S? Do not think the button was re-introduced until 24.X. So anything before .24 would be via the voice command if you can get it to work or a PC.