Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i am enjoying this circus

agree 100%

Ansel and Tiger are just dissapointed because the LR is slower from the redlight then a Model S Performance.

My perspective is everyone should buy what they desire not my business. What i dont like is judging other poeple like why are people buying Plaids etc. i know deep inside you guys want a Plaid but you will never admit.
You are confused and misinformed.

I have said MANY times I wanted a Plaid. Also, in the same sentence that you say you don't like judging other people, you are judging other people.

What you are saying here is not only insulting, it is incorrect.

Tesla did a terrible job at differentiating the 2 trims, I’m sure they would have sold more plaids if they offered more.

Nailed it. With Mjollnir no less.

Some items on my wish list.

Exterior
  • Active spoiler
  • Larger brakes
  • Colored calipers (body matching?)
  • Cross drilled rotors
  • Exclusive paint choices
  • Body matching door handles
Interior
  • Exclusive colors
  • Ambient lighting (more but not tacky more)
  • More side support on seats
  • Plaid branding on seats
  • HUD
[Edit] Damn, forgot. The batteries!!!!

Last edited:
Well I would ask him about it anyways, as he did do a teardown of sorts on the 21s IIRC.
@2021plaid While not the same car, I will be able to test this on a MYP that I will get this weekend. It's comes with 21" Uberturbines. I also have a set of new stock 19" Geminis. I plan to swap tires for winter, as the stock 19" Geminis come with M/S all season Continentals. Now, you have me really curious is there is a design feature in the 21" wheels to make them quieter!

@ssv22 Hello, Tesla brother! Are you the TMC member with both a 19 and 21 refreshed MS? I forget which member that was....
That would be the guy with a fleet of all white cars!
In my case, I originally ordered 19's, then switched to 21's for faster delivery and ended up with aftermarket wheels.
My experience is based on around 100 miles of riding in a MS with 19's, so like you mentioned there might be other factors at play but it was fairly noticeable. We even checked the tire pressure since I thought something is up.

@2021plaid While not the same car, I will be able to test this on a MYP that I will get this weekend. It's comes with 21" Uberturbines. I also have a set on new stock 19" Geminis. I plan to swap tires for winter, at the stock 19" Geminis come with M/S all season Continentals. Now you have me really curious is there is a design feature in the 21" wheels to make them quieter!
Well you can try, but there may not be a difference. Not sure about Gemini to Uberturbines. I know for sure though that the Arachnids are a different wheel from the Ubers. The sound deadening may be for the Arachnids only. Worth a shot though.

Reactions: impastu and jebinc
Well you can try, but there may not be a difference. Not sure about Gemini to Uberturbines. I know for sure though that the Arachnids are a different wheel from the Ubers. The sound deadening may be for the Arachnids only. Worth a shot though.
@2021plaid Agreed, this experiment wouldn't determine anything conclusive here - for the same reasons I said earlier you can't compare stock 21s with aftermarket 19" wheels and tires!

Nailed it. With Mjollnir no less.

Some items on my wish list.

Exterior
  • Active spoiler
  • Larger brakes
  • Colored calipers (body matching?)
  • Cross drilled rotors
  • Exclusive paint choices
  • Body matching door handles
interior
  • Exclusive colors
  • Ambient lighting (more but not tacky more)
  • More side support on seats
  • Plaid branding on seats
  • HUD

We all know why this is, right?

The "Plaid" as it is today is a last minute contingency because once again Elon told himself that the 4680s/structural battery pack/etc. that he hyped up over Twitter would be done in time...then they realized "oh *sugar*, we got all these $150k orders but no car to sell what do we do?"

Then they announced the new "Plaid" with a lot less cool *sugar* but same performance time. Then they saw that no one wanted to convert from a "Plaid+" to a "Plaid" so they delayed it. Then no one STILL wanted the Plaid version, so they cancelled the "Plaid+" and STILL people can order non-white/CF interior Plaids today and get it in weeks lol.

I would've considered a "Plaid+"...structural battery pack with 500+ miles of range would've been worth it, imo. What we have now? LOL, **** no and I wouldn't support Tesla out of spite for what they did.

Also the pricing is just absolutely dumb af. Only people who truly have a *sugar* ton of wealth (or are very irresponsible with money or actually take *sugar* to the track) would pay the $40k difference just to go faster (which is illegal on the street and on the track btw) while basically everything else is exactly the same.

But instead we got "Oh, actually err, uhmm... no one REALLY needs 500 miles of range right?" lol, come on brosaiyans.

TLDR:

$150k would've been worth the 4680s/structural pack/500 miles of range
$130k for none of that? Nah

I ordered a LR because the plaid did not offer anywhere near 40k worth of value over the LR for me
The acceleration is nice, but I learned from the last time I upgraded a standard model to a performance, the fun wears out.
The carbon fiber trim is nice but the dark wood in my opinion looks better, more classy.
The carbon fiber spoiler is a must! It completes the car and worst case scenario it’ll cost me 1500 bucks for an OEM or 200 for an aftermarket one.

Tesla did a terrible job at differentiating the 2 trims, I’m sure they would have sold more plaids if they offered more.

I think that is a good point. On paper the Plaid is worth $40-50k more (using cost analysis). However, the value is determined by the market (and more precisely the individual buyer). In this buyer's case, the value was not there. In my case, the value is not there. For someone that appreciates it - does not even have to utilize it - there is definite value in the Plaid.

You have to grant Elon view of your driving habits and then you may be eligible. What is the actual criteria for being a good driver by Tesla Insurance standards?
I’m not happy about this but it’s smart for Tesla to cover their butts so I can’t blame them. This test isn’t for good drivers, but the to weed out the idiots.

My estimates on both orders disappeared two days ago and have not returned. I keep looking at the inventory vehicles, both MS and MY.

I have no need for the Plaid, but I still feel the need to look at the “factory gate” dates, and ponder whether the car is a reject. Then I consider other options for $145,000, and decide to wait on my orders.

You have to grant Elon view of your driving habits and then you may be eligible. What is the actual criteria for being a good driver by Tesla Insurance standards?
Do we think this is for only drivers with Tesla insurance where they care? If they are judging by driving habits then I'm up *sugar* creek. I have too much fun in my car on a daily basis.

We all know why this is, right?

The "Plaid" as it is today is a last minute contingency because once again Elon told himself that the 4680s/structural battery pack/etc. that he hyped up over Twitter would be done in time...then they realized "oh *sugar*, we got all these $150k orders but no car to sell what do we do?"

Then they announced the new "Plaid" with a lot less cool *sugar* but same performance time. Then they saw that no one wanted to convert from a "Plaid+" to a "Plaid" so they delayed it. Then no one STILL wanted the Plaid version, so they cancelled the "Plaid+" and STILL people can order non-white/CF interior Plaids today and get it in weeks lol.

I would've considered a "Plaid+"...structural battery pack with 500+ miles of range would've been worth it, imo. What we have now? LOL, **** no and I wouldn't support Tesla out of spite for what they did.

Also the pricing is just absolutely dumb af. Only people who truly have a *sugar* ton of wealth (or are very irresponsible with money or actually take *sugar* to the track) would pay the $40k difference just to go faster (which is illegal on the street and on the track btw) while basically everything else is exactly the same.

But instead we got "Oh, actually err, uhmm... no one REALLY needs 500 miles of range right?" lol, come on brosaiyans.

TLDR:

$150k would've been worth the 4680s/structural pack/500 miles of range
$130k for none of that? Nah
I think you're oversimplifying. I was firmly in the "Plaid is not a good value compared to LR" camp - and now I'm vacillating between the two, and also, my FOMO is peaking - however my range anxiety says to me the extra 100 miles of the Plaid + did/does have a value to me - more so than the increased ponies of the Plaid versus LR. If Plaid + was still around, I'd probably still go for the LR.
There's a book, "Predictably Irrational" and I think Tesla did what was described as anchoring in the book - set a small, medium, large or "good, better, best" and some folks will always gravitate towards the extremes, however the "best" (Plaid + helps the LR look "cheap" where some folks would never get cheapest, and it also shows the Plaid is a great value, as it had a certain amount of what the + had for less). Generally, with the 3 price structure, folks will mostly land in the middle, and you want the middle to be your highest profit area.