Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you driven or rode in a Taycan on the track? The handling is much better than a Model S. The Model S wins in acceleration, tech and bang for your buck. The Taycan wins in build quality, braking and handling.
I wish I had a link to that Porsche tuner and track support shop (I think they were in CA) that took a Plaid for a spin. He touched on a lot of your points.

Feel is not there with the Plaid but I think you will find that "handling" as defined by grip and corner exit is actually better with this new suspension iteration (in both the Plaid and LR). It is strange. It's like coming in thinking you just set a track lap record to find you were seconds off. Feel != Performance with the Plaid. The Laguna and Nurburgring times are telling. It's not all just straight line performance.

Last edited:
I’ve driven the Taycan and Model 3 performance. People who have had the Model S refresh and Model 3 performance say the Model 3 performance handles better. The Taycan handles far better than a Model 3 performance. Porsche has been building race cars for years. A Tesla is not going to out handle and brake it. The ring laptime was because of straight-line acceleration, you can tell by watching the video. The Plaid has 40 percent more power than a Taycan Turbo and only beat it by a few seconds. The handling looks sloppy. I get my MS on Thursday. I’ll let you know for sure.
I normally think nebulous but sloppy is a much better word for it. If feel and driving pleasure is your deffinition of handling, I agree with you. If lap time (predominantly determined by corner exit) is your measure, I think the same driver will have a tad more success with the Plaid on most tracks provided she/he does not mind sawing away at the wheel.

I just love that we can actually have this discussion now. The two were not even in the same zip code before Plaid/LR came along.

Still, maybe there are good and bad points to each. It's not like the Tesla is instantly bad at handling because the other car is a Porsche and this is a Tesla. The Taycan weighs 5,150 pounds, and can't torque vector like the Plaid will when that track SW update comes. The Porsche may handle better, but that doesn't mean that the Model S can't be awesome too.

I never said there weren’t good points to each, just that one is better than the other at certain things. If the Model S wasn’t great at things that I am looking for I wouldn’t be buying it. I’m sure the Model S’ suspension is far more comfortable than a Taycan.

I never said there weren’t good points to each just one is better than the other at certain things. If the Model S wasn’t great at things that I am looking for I wouldn’t be buying it. I’m sure the Model S’ suspension is far more comfortable than a Taycan.
I'm sure it is too! I bet both will be good at their targeted audience and market!😁

Reactions: impastu and Pdubs
I am 6’3” 220 lbs and was wondering if the new Model S will be a tight fit for me. Hoping the redesign is a bit more roomy vs 2018 model s I test drove a few years ago.
I went and drove an older one to be sure of this- I am the exact same size as you. I am long in the legs and I was totally comfortable in the older S. The newer one is basically the same in the front area so you should be fine.

I think the arguement goes both ways. Both camps are trying to iustify their purchase. Everyone just needs to be satisfied with the decisions they made. For some it may be a practicality reason and for some it may be a financial reason.
To quote a wise man, "Can we just agree to disagree and let this go? It's all relative. I am happy for those of you out there that are happy with your LR's. I am also happy for those of you out there that are happy with your Plaid. I'm just waiting for me to be happy with a Plaid with 4680's. Then we can be just one big happy Tesla family?" Can't we? Just to be honest though, I haven't seen any Plaid owners looking down their noses at the LR owners. The great majority of posts on this subject are LR owners telling Plaid owners that they massively overpaid for something they didn't need. While that's true, it IS their prerogative, so if spending their money as they see fit doesn't fit well with you, just let it go. It's THEIR money, not yours. You get to complain only if they spend your money. Otherwise, let's all come together as one. A happy Tesla family whether you drive an S, and X, a Y or 3, you are ALL part of the Tesla family and should not begrudge another's purchase choice.

To quote a wise man, "Can we just agree to disagree and let this go? It's all relative. I am happy for those of you out there that are happy with your LR's. I am also happy for those of you out there that are happy with your Plaid. I'm just waiting for me to be happy with a Plaid with 4680's. Then we can be just one big happy Tesla family?" Can't we? Just to be honest though, I haven't seen any Plaid owners looking down their noses at the LR owners. The great majority of posts on this subject are LR owners telling Plaid owners that they massively overpaid for something they didn't need. While that's true, it IS their prerogative, so if spending their money as they see fit doesn't fit well with you, just let it go. It's THEIR money, not yours. You get to complain only if they spend your money. Otherwise, let's all come together as one. A happy Tesla family whether you drive an S, and X, a Y or 3, you are ALL part of the Tesla family and should not begrudge another's purchase choice.
RIPOFF!!!!!! PEACOCKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A LOWLY ONE MORE MOTOR DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THOSE PLAID GUYS ARE IDIOTS! YOU AIN'T EVER GONNA USE THAT EXTRA PERFORMANCE!!!!!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

100% agree

I have a RN1151 east coast delivery, spec is Model S LR Blue with white interior and 19inch. Ordered early july and had a EDD of Sep-Oct. That got pushed back to Feb 2022 and then back to December 2021.. About 2 weeks ago EDD went blank and just got updated to Feb 2022 last night... I've read that some people get vin numbers assigned when this EDD process happens. Do you think I am getting a vin soon?
We are car and order date twins, except I'm early June. I sure hope we move earlier again, but at this point - who the heck knows...

I’ve driven the Taycan and Model 3 performance. People who have had the Model S refresh and Model 3 performance say the Model 3 performance handles better. The Taycan handles far better than a Model 3 performance. Porsche has been building race cars for years. A Tesla is not going to out handle and brake it. The ring laptime was because of straight-line acceleration, you can tell by watching the video. The Plaid has 40 percent more power than a Taycan Turbo and only beat it by a few seconds. The handling looks sloppy. I get my MS on Thursday. I’ll let you know for sure.
Only thing is that you're getting the MS LR, not the Plaid. Are we all sure the MS LR has the exact same suspension as the MS Plaid? @lolachampcar

Only thing is that you're getting the MS LR, not the Plaid. Are we all sure the MS LR has the exact same suspension as the MS Plaid? @lolachampcar
This may help. The LR and Plaid appear to be almost exactly the same car underneath, with even the same battery.

First Look Underneath the Tesla Model S Long Range AND Plaid / Erik Robertson

Funny debates we have here on the "delivery update forum" WAITING for our cars. Bottom line for all these is what it's worth to each person which is highly subjective. FWIW (little probably), skidpads are comparable but I know handling is way more than skidpads.

Because we bring our own biases into play, personal stories (anecdotes) are not objectively valuable for anyone other than for the person making them (for whom they are the most valuable).

Sorry, the debate made me think about a study done where they blindfolded a bunch of professional violinists playing Stradivarius violins (the best as everyone "knows") and newer violins. The blind tests showed that the sound judged best by both violinists and listeners in concert settings were not the Strads but the newer violins. If you added bias back in and people knew they were playing or listening to Strads, you got the opposite result with people judging the Strads the best with comments about how much deeper and richer the sound was for the Strads. It shows how strong unconscious bias can be.

Just an observation and no knock on Porsches here. Hell, when I drove my pal's 911 GT3, I thought it was the best thing I had ever driven and he barely let me cut it loose.

Too bad we can't do BLIND driving tests to test handling. That would be a kick. :p

This may help. The LR and Plaid appear to be almost exactly the same car underneath, with even the same battery.

First Look Underneath the Tesla Model S Long Range AND Plaid / Erik Robertson
Just because it is now doesn't mean it will always be that way. For example the Model 3 LR was mostly the same as the performance at first, but it was changed later.

The second Plaid I picked up less than a month ago, dead... Drove it home today, went out to try to drive it to pick up my lunch then all sorts of errors. Car wouldn't start... The low voltage keeps on going down... Says pull over safely, electrical systems, bla bla. lucky it didn't die when i was taking my mother to surgery this morning. when you press the break for 30 seconds the help screen shows up showing the 12v status. i reboot the car twice and it went down to 8% and now totally dead. Lucky I have another Plaid to drive while roadside figures out if they should send help. LOL.

Attachments

• IMG_5673.jpeg
    IMG_5673.jpeg
    348.6 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_5671.jpeg
    IMG_5671.jpeg
    331.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5670.jpeg
    IMG_5670.jpeg
    288.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5669.jpeg
    IMG_5669.jpeg
    292 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5665.jpeg
    IMG_5665.jpeg
    285.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_5666.jpeg
    IMG_5666.jpeg
    299.3 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_5667.jpeg
    IMG_5667.jpeg
    296.4 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_5668.jpeg
    IMG_5668.jpeg
    292.3 KB · Views: 51
The second Plaid I picked up less than a month ago, dead... Drove it home today, went out to try to drive it to pick up my lunch then all sorts of errors. Car wouldn't start... The low voltage keeps on going down... Says pull over safely, electrical systems, bla bla. lucky it didn't die when i was taking my mother to surgery this morning. when you press the break for 30 seconds the help screen shows up showing the 12v status. i reboot the car twice and it went down to 8% and now totally dead. Lucky I have another Plaid to drive while roadside figures out if they should send help. LOL.
I've seen this a couple times now online. May be either @Kyle [CK]'s issue with the inverters, or some buggy SW or sensors is my guess. Haven't seen this issue in a while though. Sorry to hear that yours has it.

Reactions: impastu
I've seen this a couple times now online. May be either @Kyle [CK]'s issue with the inverters, or some buggy SW. Haven't see this issue in a while though. Sorry to hear that yours has it.
I have the latest software and i've been driving it gingerly for FSDbeta consideration. 🤣 . I'm glad it happened after i came home and put it in park. 19" down, now all i have to drive is my 21" plaid.