Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our roof will need replacing in a few years. Do they sell power walls in MSM? :cool:

But...you could have wrapped your walls!
True, but thermodynamics and Florida sun...

ON ANOTHER NOTE,

I've decided to go with PPF on the car. I will not drop 8500k on it. I'd rather paint it in 4 years if need be. Does anybody have a good shop in Central Florida that costs less than an entire paint job?

1633115739789.gif

During the high volume production of the T during 1914-1925, Ford only offered the car in black for a run of almost 15 million vehicles. Speculation was that the 'japanning' process (baked enamel) only worked on black. Another was that black dried faster. Either way, the color choice was driven by the need for efficiency in manufacturing (and cost). One color increased that efficiency. The efficacy can be argued but the intent cannot be denied.

The point is that Tesla is in its infancy when it comes to manufacturing. Whatever they can do to increase velocity of production while they are still constrained by capacity (sales exceeds production) makes some sense. They are also introducing the same level of innovation as they do with their designs. These things take time and iterations of failures before they are good to go. Granted, some of this is also introduced too early and customers end up with issues.

And again, I am not denying their quality has a long way to go. Nor am I not wishing more color choices were available. Want better or another color? Pick a different manufacturer. For now, they've got us (or at least me) by the balls.

I've been in operations/manufacturing leadership for almost 30 years. If you think they don't know what they are doing, that's fair enough. I can respect that. My opinion is quite different.
By the balls is right :)

So...latest monkey tales:
  • For Plaid: EDD 10/7-10/27. For me to replace '17 S75. Gone last Saturday.
  • For MY P: EDD 10/31-11/20. For wife to replace '17 X75D. Will be gone 10/8. New buyer was kind enough to let us hold it for 2 extra weeks.
Might have sold too early...

Booked a rental car from 10/11-11/1 as we will be down to 1 vehicle on 10/8. Wondering what my odds are of getting the Plaid before 11/1. Part of me wants to push out for 2022 VIN/new lights. Part of me says, "idiot, get it now".

I know it’s counter intuitive, and it makes no sense, but yes, that’s what I’m saying! It works!
I’ve been waiting for 13 months now and I could have given myself a lot of stress had I held Tesla to a high standard on anything but engineering.

think of Tesla like a savant! Awesome in engineering, crap at everything else!

Yeah I'd be all about PPF if it was ~$2k to do the whole car, but considering it's +3x that, I just can't justify it. I've had all my past cars (including Teslas) not need it, so it's tough to reason with parting with that much cash.

Of course, I also got a big chip on my hood the day after I took delivery, so I see the draw lol.
Then most likely, you'd have had (at minimum) damaged PPF (which may, or may not have prevented chip in your paint as well) which cant be touched up. You would have the option of living with the nicked/damaged PPF (unless it self healed, which doesnt occur with deep chips in the PPF) and looking at that, or gettin g the entire sheet of PPF removed, paint chip fixed, PPF replaced.

Or since you currently dont have PPF, you have the option of getting the nick in the paint professionally touched up (edges of the chip sanded down evenly and paint carefully dabbed on in several small layers to the side of the chip, then smoothed over into the chipped area.

You can imagine the costs of the options I laid out....

True, but thermodynamics and Florida sun...

ON ANOTHER NOTE,

I've decided to go with PPF on the car. I will not drop 8500k on it. I'd rather paint it in 4 years if need be. Does anybody have a good shop in Central Florida that costs less than an entire paint job?
Shouldn't be anywhere close to that price. Maybe $8500 for a wrap and PPF.