Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So...latest monkey tales:
  • For Plaid: EDD 10/7-10/27. For me to replace '17 S75. Gone last Saturday.
  • For MY P: EDD 10/31-11/20. For wife to replace '17 X75D. Will be gone 10/8. New buyer was kind enough to let us hold it for 2 extra weeks.
Might have sold too early...

Booked a rental car from 10/11-11/1 as we will be down to 1 vehicle on 10/8. Wondering what my odds are of getting the Plaid before 11/1. Part of me wants to push out for 2022 VIN/new lights. Part of me says, "idiot, get it now".

I would side with the latter half of you. Who knows when and if the new lights are coming.

Have you considered a local Tesla on Turo?

I have had good luck with that in SG and SF valley...

I called my wrap installer and questioned about Tracwrap, automotive tape, etc.

For anybody doing what I'm doing by protecting the wheel arches, be sure to slowly and carefully remove Tracwrap or anything else you stick onto your car. Otherwise you risk pulling the clearcoat off. Don't rip it off like a bandaid. And don't leave it on more than a week especially if it's out in the sun. Right now I'm reapplying the stuff every 5 days until my appointment later this month.

I'm also really wishing I went all the way down with my Tracwrap. I stopped at the rocker panels and they're also getting obliterated. I can't believe the damage in just 400 miles. I'm the type to not care and I'm alarmed.

Again, this is NOT about the delay. It's about lies.

Are you telling me "10 - 14 weeks" was an actual, best estimate, based on some internal production velocity metrics and burndown chart? What about June? July? August? Sept 1-15? Sep 15-30? Sep 20-Oct 10? on and on and on. You believe these were actual calculations and the intent was a sincere desire to convey to us to the truth about when my product would be delivered?

If you believe this is true, I have some beach front property to sell you in Florida.

I have been a huge Tesla fan, and by them continuing to lie to me, they have changed my opinion. This is not how I wanted this to go.

I run a large, global organization within one of the largest and most profitable/valuable companies on the planet. I understand a little about supply chains, estimates, shifting dates, roadmaps, and such. There is NO excuse for communicating dates over and over which you know are false. I could never do this to my customers.

Let's be real here folks, the truth would have been something like this: in Q1 2021 if you ordered a model S LR, it should have said "Estimated delivery: 6 - 12 months". If they had opted for "6 months" to be optimistic, and then shifted this by a quarter when that clearly was not happening, i'd be more understanding. But to feed me *sugar* dates like this, in a steady stream, for months on end, is unacceptable. You know this is true.
If it’s near Ft Lauderdale, I’ll take it.

I called my wrap installer and questioned about Tracwrap, automotive tape, etc.

For anybody doing what I'm doing by protecting the wheel arches, be sure to slowly and carefully remove Tracwrap or anything else you stick onto your car. Otherwise you risk pulling the clearcoat off. Don't rip it off like a bandaid. And don't leave it on more than a week especially if it's out in the sun. Right now I'm reapplying the stuff every 5 days until my appointment later this month.

I'm also really wishing I went all the way down with my Tracwrap. I stopped at the rocker panels and they're also getting obliterated. I can't believe the damage in just 400 miles. I'm the type to not care and I'm alarmed.
Youtube shows the proper way to remove PPF so that it doesnt take off paint. I imagine removing tracwrap same way. Hard to describe without showing, but in short, you grab an edge then slowly lift up while pulling the edge kinda forward vs pulling up and backwards.

Why is this the minimum? PPF could have also absorbed the rock and not have been damaged at all. 🤷‍♂️
Perhaps I didnt word it as best as I could. But based on the OP's description, if it was hard enough to cause a moderate chip in the metal/paint, then more likely the same impact would have at least left some sort of mark/slight tear in the PPF itself. Now while that possibly could have protected the paint, bottom line is that PPF still will get some marks (front end for sure) over time. Its not magic.

I think some have the impression that PPF on a front bumper/hood is totally impervious to getting marks that will remain. Not every stone chip hitting PPF goes invisible with heat/sun. Many remain..

Last edited:
Perhaps I didnt word it as best as I could. But based on the OP's description, if it was hard enough to cause a moderate chip in the metal/paint, then more likely the same impact would have at least left some sort of mark/slight tear in the PPF itself. Now while that possibly could have protected the paint, bottom line is that PPF still will get some marks (front end for sure) over time. Its not magic.

I think some have the impression that PPF on a front bumper/hood is totally impervious to getting marks that will remain/wont "self heal".
Nothing is perfect if the rock is big enough. But I can tell you that PPF film is slick and most opt to ceramic coat over PPF after installation. This represents fairly substantial protection that wouldn't automatically cause the PPF to rip, tear or otherwise mark. There are plenty of videos where PPF is put through various torture tests beyond anything a car would experience.

I get that some don't agree with PPF as being worthwhile just like the LR / Plaid discussion, but let's not create scenarios or situations as a way to discredit PPF. Not to say they don't exist, but I haven't heard any actual stories of failed PPF. When I get my car back, it will get used daily. If the PPF and ceramic somehow manages to get damaged, I'll be the first to discuss it here.

Nothing is perfect if the rock is big enough. But I can tell you that PPF film is slick and most opt to ceramic coat over PPF after installation. This represents fairly substantial protection that wouldn't automatically cause the PPF to rip, tear or otherwise mark. There are plenty of videos where PPF is put through various torture tests beyond anything a car would experience.

I get that some don't agree with PPF as being worthwhile just like the LR / Plaid discussion, but let's not create scenarios or situations as a way to discredit PPF. Not to say they don't exist, but I haven't heard any actual stories of failed PPF. When I get my car back, it will get used daily. If the PPF and ceramic somehow manages to get damaged, I'll be the first to discuss it here.
Hydrophobicity/slickness has zero to do with impact protection. Neither does ceramic coating.

And I never stated that PPF isnt worth the spend to some, or even many. But I had PPF on a front bumper for about 8k miles. And I can definitely state that after 8k miles, the PPF on the front bumper was not the same at that point vs brand new. However, it's quite possible the PPF protected the bumper underneath. I sold the car with the PPF intact/didnt remove it, so I dont know how well it protected underneath.

Got all my missing delivery items today, trunk pieces, and rear license plate frame. Pleasantly surprised to see new Tesla OEM plate frame is now black.
IMG_2576.jpg

Got all my missing delivery items today, trunk pieces, and rear license plate frame. Pleasantly surprised to see new Tesla OEM plate frame is now black. View attachment 716834
Is there a black license plate holder underneath the actual license plate? Or just the painted bumper? I’m trying to understand if my car is missing the mounting bracket.

Is there a black license plate holder underneath the actual license plate? Or just the painted bumper? I’m trying to understand if my car is missing the mounting bracket.
I don't believe so, on mine plate holder I believe was painted white. Just the new frame around the plate is black. At delivery plate was attached to plate holder with no frame.

Hydrophobicity/slickness has zero to do with impact protection. Neither does ceramic coating.

And I never stated that PPF isnt worth the spend to some, or even many. But I had PPF on a front bumper for about 8k miles. And I can definitely state that after 8k miles, the PPF on the front bumper was not the same at that point vs brand new. However, it's quite possible the PPF protected the bumper underneath. I sold the car with the PPF intact/didnt remove it, so I dont know how well it protected underneath.
The idea behind PPF is to protect your paint. Adding ceramic largely makes cleaning easier, but does provide some additional scratch resistance.

One of the torture tests I referenced. I'm sure your paint was fine under the PPF, unless your driving habits result in this level of rock interaction.

And now this... SV104 Gloss Black, 285/35/R20 front and 315/30/R20 rear, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

When I look at the back of the car I feel like she is having sex with my eyes. Need black lugs. Did not realize the grandson photobombed until cropping the picture for sharing. :cool:🤣

Big thanks to Signature!!! F@CK!NG BEAUTIFUL!!!

Attachments

• 20211001_125901.jpg
    20211001_125901.jpg
    588.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 20211001_130212.jpg
    20211001_130212.jpg
    503.8 KB · Views: 63
And now this... SV104 Gloss Black, 285/35/R20 front and 315/30/R20 rear, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

When I look at the back of the car I feel like she is having sex with my eyes. Need black lugs. Did not realize the grandson photobombed until cropping the picture for sharing. :cool:🤣

Big thanks to Signature!!! F@CK!NG BEAUTIFUL!!!
Beautiful! Two thumbs up from me as well! Do the 315s stick out? Could you post a picture directly down the side?