Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does it help to read @2021plaid and @uthatcher Tesla gushing after midnight?
Entertain value, only! 🤣

98BA037B-CFDF-4A08-B760-5AFA0AD38985.gif

Friends, Romans, countrymen...

Quick thoughts after a week and a half with the car primarily in city driving. I'm a fan so far - big improvement over the 3. Setting the car to comfort suspension is a delight, although it makes you feel like a barge captain steering-wise (tradeoffs). Contrarian opinion: the yoke is really, really stupid for city drivers - but the haptic buttons are actually pretty workable for me. I back my car out onto a reasonably active roadway to go anywhere, and the yoke is just the absolute worst for that, so I start every drive slightly irritated.

I had a decent number of Tesla special defects upon taking delivery - none substantial enough to reject the car for in my opinion. Earliest appointment was of course four weeks out. I'll update after they have a chance to improve on the factory's work - slightly misaligned door, slightly misaligned frunk and trunk (should be fixable); misaligned interior trim on passenger front side - may not be fixable, but I'm already forgetting about it. I think this is the last time I'll accept this from Tesla though, and I'm probably not a customer of theirs long-term - I'm tired of the BS.

@cwanja made a great recommendation for me when I sold my Model 3 that I thought I'd cosign - Give Me The VIN. GMTV quoted me the highest price for my Model 3 of any vendor I checked, but also has the sketchiest web presence. I engaged in the transaction half convinced I was going to end up filing a police report. Well, I'm happy to report that the sale closed and check cleared without any concerns, and everyone I dealt with at GMTV was really quite excellent. On the flip side, I do need to warn folks - if you're outside their direct service area (which may only be TX), they use third party logistics vendors to pick up your car. First vendor was a no-show and the second vendor unexpectedly made me drive the car to meet them, which was a real hassle in the middle of the workday. Not GMTV's fault and they worked hard after the no-show to make things right... but it wasn't seamless. It also took a week to get a pickup, which is a little nerve-wracking when we're talking about a depreciating asset sitting in a driveway. Also not GMTV's fault. Mixed bag but I'd use 'em again with confidence if they had the right price.
Glad to hear things worked out and GiveMeTheVIN came through. While I try not to judge a book by its cover, I can certainly see how their website gives someone the heebie-jeebies on a multi-thousand dollar transaction.

Enjoy the car!

Ok. Took delivery. Of a pretty much perfect Model S woot.

I didn't see any obvious paint defects. The lines look fine to me. I have the worm.

One big issue that I didn't notice till I was driving. My AC just blows hot air. Thank goodness it's getting cold here but it was 75 today. AC woulda been nice on the drive home. Guess service appt is getting scheduled soon.

Everything was in the car except the cover over the trunk storage. I have to create a service appt for that too. Floor mats, fobs, parcel shelf.

Seats in the rear have a very minor wrinkle. Not anything to bother me. Likely will go away with time.

Doors are hard to close. But they seem to be getting better already.

Drives like a maniac. Love it. Yoke I'm still trying to remember to push buttons to turn.

Overall. Damn thing is awesome. The wait sucked. Today was a good day.

Software is 2021.40.6, said firmware was applied yesterday.

I also had a fun challenge. I kept hitting play on Spotify and it would just stop. Over and over again. Stupid me. I had the volume down to zero. I turned it to 11 and worked fine. :D

The kitty shirt is the cat from the prototype MS window stickers by the way.

View attachment 740334
This is absolutely amazing. Congrats man! Maybe less downvotes now? Maybe? Probably not.

So finally after long last, I get to contribute my feedback about receiving my 2022 MS Plaid.

I. Love. It.

The pickup process was pretty smooth. I actually showed up two hours early since the dealer was 1.5 hours away and I wanted to get it over with. They gave me as much time as I wanted to inspect the car. Went over it with the checklist.

I’m probably not as anal as those here but I think I did a fairly thorough check out. The car to me was nearly perfect:
- slight worm on the yoke but appears less prominent than pictures I’ve seen here
- paint scratch near the rear driver side roof glass as pictured.
- Only noticed on the highway - at highway speeds there is a continuous whistle/squeak. Best I can determine while driving is it is behind me. Pretty annoying and will definitely have to get checked. Probably misaligned seal around rear door or trunk.

Other than those relatively minor things, I was very pleasantly surprised that all seemed good with my new S. 9 miles on it. Didn’t appreciate any significant panel gaps, though I’m sure the black is a little more forgiving for those. The white interior looks amazing. I only kept it on sport mode for my 90 mile drive home and it was incredibly fast. Cant wait to try insane mode, but wanted to get home and be in daylight to do it.

Yoke and stalkless steering will take a little getting used to, but nothing too crazy. I do like how much the dash and display are opened through the use of the yoke.

Plans for ceramic coating drop off tomorrow. After that will have to replace the tires for all seasons.

Overall, the delivery day itself was a very pleasant and easy experience. And like many have said before, once you have the car, the anger of the extremely long wait just seems to melt away.

Ordered a year ago, but dreamed about for 10. And now it’s in my driveway.

Great day.

Attachments

• 26E7B15D-BD51-4F99-863D-7F211B62328E.jpeg
    26E7B15D-BD51-4F99-863D-7F211B62328E.jpeg
    636.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 50EB818E-A197-45B5-AF17-FB9FA56E041A.jpeg
    50EB818E-A197-45B5-AF17-FB9FA56E041A.jpeg
    447.4 KB · Views: 74
  • B3BD0254-3DDB-468B-AEA7-F5F8674BC628.jpeg
    B3BD0254-3DDB-468B-AEA7-F5F8674BC628.jpeg
    405.5 KB · Views: 68
Wait, wood is a unicorn on a Plaid? Wow, I feel so special!
This is hilarious. I'm not being disparaging, but it reminds me of a club I recently tried.

Taylormade is coming out with their new driver this month. DJ, Tommy and Sergei are doing a photo shoot with it in SoFlo this month and then it's hitting the market.

It's called the Stealth Carbon Wood. It's pure naked sex, sounds amazing on impact and has tremendous forgiveness. That said, when it was first given to me and they told me the name of it, I started laughing in front of the guys there and said.....

@Bill Price !!!

Ok. Took delivery. Of a pretty much perfect Model S woot.

I didn't see any obvious paint defects. The lines look fine to me. I have the worm.

One big issue that I didn't notice till I was driving. My AC just blows hot air. Thank goodness it's getting cold here but it was 75 today. AC woulda been nice on the drive home. Guess service appt is getting scheduled soon.

Everything was in the car except the cover over the trunk storage. I have to create a service appt for that too. Floor mats, fobs, parcel shelf.

Seats in the rear have a very minor wrinkle. Not anything to bother me. Likely will go away with time.

Doors are hard to close. But they seem to be getting better already.

Drives like a maniac. Love it. Yoke I'm still trying to remember to push buttons to turn.

Overall. Damn thing is awesome. The wait sucked. Today was a good day.

Software is 2021.40.6, said firmware was applied yesterday.

I also had a fun challenge. I kept hitting play on Spotify and it would just stop. Over and over again. Stupid me. I had the volume down to zero. I turned it to 11 and worked fine. :D

The kitty shirt is the cat from the prototype MS window stickers by the way.

View attachment 740334
It is breath taking. The pics of the wash job were very cool. (my god I'm turning into such a nerd)

11.5 hours for me. Up late learning about this bloody thing tonight. Congratulations man!

I'm assuming you're only giving nothing but thumbs up now yes? :D

So finally after long last, I get to contribute my feedback about receiving my 2022 MS Plaid.

I. Love. It.

The pickup process was pretty smooth. I actually showed up two hours early since the dealer was 1.5 hours away and I wanted to get it over with. They gave me as much time as I wanted to inspect the car. Went over it with the checklist.

I’m probably not as anal as those here but I think I did a fairly thorough check out. The car to me was nearly perfect:
- slight worm on the yoke but appears less prominent than pictures I’ve seen here
- paint scratch near the rear driver side roof glass as pictured.
- Only noticed on the highway - at highway speeds there is a continuous whistle/squeak. Best I can determine while driving is it is behind me. Pretty annoying and will definitely have to get checked. Probably misaligned seal around rear door or trunk.

Other than those relatively minor things, I was very pleasantly surprised that all seemed good with my new S. 9 miles on it. Didn’t appreciate any significant panel gaps, though I’m sure the black is a little more forgiving for those. The white interior looks amazing. I only kept it on sport mode for my 90 mile drive home and it was incredibly fast. Cant wait to try insane mode, but wanted to get home and be in daylight to do it.

Yoke and stalkless steering will take a little getting used to, but nothing too crazy. I do like how much the dash and display are opened through the use of the yoke.

Plans for ceramic coating drop off tomorrow. After that will have to replace the tires for all seasons.

Overall, the delivery day itself was a very pleasant and easy experience. And like many have said before, once you have the car, the anger of the extremely long wait just seems to melt away.

Ordered a year ago, but dreamed about for 10. And now it’s in my driveway.

Great day.
Looks like your black paint has a green tinge… terrible quality control!

😬😅

Congrats on the car!

It is breath taking. The pics of the wash job were very cool. (my god I'm turning into such a nerd)

11.5 hours for me. Up late learning about this bloody thing tonight. Congratulations man!

I'm assuming you're only giving nothing but thumbs up now yes? :D
Haha. No need for thumbs down anymore 😂😂🤣🤣

Wishing you luck and happiness tomorrow!!