Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Placed this in the FSD thread, but in case anyone contemplating dropping $10k for FSD in hopes of going from NYC to LA with no human intervention or in hopes of making thousands of dollars a year from robotaxi...this may shine more realistic light onto things
Yep uh huh. :D

I mean all of us here are pretty familiar with the timelines.

There is another way to solve this.

Buy 4 cheap floor jacks. Like 120 total.

Pull the wheels and deliver them to the tires store.

Install them yourself with a good torque wrench, because they won't.
This is exactly what I've done on my muscle cars for the last 20+ years.

I had a guy back in the '90's curb some pretty expensive wheels, and the place refused to acknowledge the damage they did.

Four jack stands and one floor jack later, problem solved.

I just bought the Safe Jack RennStand jack stands for my Model 3. Showed up yesterday. Going to rotate my tires with 'em today. I only got a pair of them (so I could do tire rotations myself), but if they end up living up to all the hype, I'll throw down for another pair just so I don't have to run the risk of taking my car in when it's time for new shoes.

So, it is safe to assume, blue exterior, cream interior and 21" wheels get you EDD faster?

Last I check I did for Plaid, all options EXCEPT white interior will be Dec 21, with aforementioned interior being Jan 22.

But being that this is Tesla, with probably the least Customer friendly delivery experience in the world, do you feel lucky enough to attempt an EOY delivery?

Do you?

( Verified the delivery info above is correct per the configurator as of now)

Just joined.
Bought a 2020 Model Y Long Range Performance for my wife to drive. Nope. That's not a mistake. Every now and then, Tesla sent a Long Range Performance model to a store. You couldn't order one. You just had to be in the right place at the right time.
Also, taking delivery of a Red 2022 Model S Plaid with FSD and Black/White interior W/ Carbon Fiber on 12/11/21. Ordered in on Oct 9th and was initially told it would arrive in May-June 2022. About a week later it was updated to December.

Took delivery yesterday afternoon and the car seems great (no issues, drove about 60 miles including some highway shenanigans) 🙏 They didn't give me key fobs at delivery, so I set up a service appt to get those and the trunk mats. The only question I have - the car should be dead silent when it's off, correct? My front motor is making a light humming noise when it's off, but the rear motor is silent. Anyone know what that's about?

I'm guessing you did not own a old MS with pumpgate.

My guess it's not the motor, it's the pumps for the battery and possibly motors. They should shut off in a few minutes.

Normally there would be more of a warm welcome to the thread. Some of us might be jealous.

Last edited:
Just got this note from my SA:

Thanks for your note. It seems your robot is being constructed as we speak. It should be clearing the Factory around the 10th of December.

We will be working hard to get it here before year end – But there is a chance it could fall into early Jan.

Does clearing the factory mean it’ll take 2-ish weeks from that date to arrive at the SC? Is that the typical travel time for Canada as well? That would put it around the 24th.

I’m getting excited!

That's all right. Everyone knows the carbon fiber interior is much better looking anyway...

*runs for the hills...*
truthfully, whenever given a choice for CF or wood, i've chosen the wood. EVERY. TIME.
but, cars also come in different colors, etc. for folks with different tastes.
I paid a relatively large amount as I recall for one of my BMWs to be made with custom or special wood from the factory - and it was gorgeous! also delayed the car by about 2 months.
the CF does look good in the plaid. but given the choice, i'd still pick wood. that's just me.
at the same time, i was thinking of adding a CF spoiler and may still. and no, i wouldn't add a wooden one! :)

Just got this note from my SA:

Does clearing the factory mean it’ll take 2-ish weeks from that date to arrive at the SC? Is that the typical travel time for Canada as well? That would put it around the 24th.

I’m getting excited!
2 weeks would seem pretty quick to me, to get from fremont to canada - however i don't know the routes, etc. and whether it would be by rail or truck - i think rail is less expensive and truck is quicker.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Friends, Romans, countrymen...

Quick thoughts after a week and a half with the car primarily in city driving. I'm a fan so far - big improvement over the 3. Setting the car to comfort suspension is a delight, although it makes you feel like a barge captain steering-wise (tradeoffs). Contrarian opinion: the yoke is really, really stupid for city drivers - but the haptic buttons are actually pretty workable for me. I back my car out onto a reasonably active roadway to go anywhere, and the yoke is just the absolute worst for that, so I start every drive slightly irritated.

I had a decent number of Tesla special defects upon taking delivery - none substantial enough to reject the car for in my opinion. Earliest appointment was of course four weeks out. I'll update after they have a chance to improve on the factory's work - slightly misaligned door, slightly misaligned frunk and trunk (should be fixable); misaligned interior trim on passenger front side - may not be fixable, but I'm already forgetting about it. I think this is the last time I'll accept this from Tesla though, and I'm probably not a customer of theirs long-term - I'm tired of the BS.

@cwanja made a great recommendation for me when I sold my Model 3 that I thought I'd cosign - Give Me The VIN. GMTV quoted me the highest price for my Model 3 of any vendor I checked, but also has the sketchiest web presence. I engaged in the transaction half convinced I was going to end up filing a police report. Well, I'm happy to report that the sale closed and check cleared without any concerns, and everyone I dealt with at GMTV was really quite excellent. On the flip side, I do need to warn folks - if you're outside their direct service area (which may only be TX), they use third party logistics vendors to pick up your car. First vendor was a no-show and the second vendor unexpectedly made me drive the car to meet them, which was a real hassle in the middle of the workday. Not GMTV's fault and they worked hard after the no-show to make things right... but it wasn't seamless. It also took a week to get a pickup, which is a little nerve-wracking when we're talking about a depreciating asset sitting in a driveway. Also not GMTV's fault. Mixed bag but I'd use 'em again with confidence if they had the right price.

Wait, wood is a unicorn on a Plaid? Wow, I feel so special!
I have a unicorn, too! Beats a “Unibrow”!

BC133C1E-33CD-4DCE-AF6A-870E88CBFE09.jpeg