Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you used the current headlights? They're absolutely terrible. Model 3's are way better so if these are the same, they're a huge upgrade.

I have used for almost 22k miles (almost 1/2 in the dark). Not seeing "absolutely terrible" in the them. But as @IamGaryGnu pointed out - I am not the undumbest.

Ok it's official Tesla is a network of smart a's having fun at our expense. Here's a major TMC thread solely dedicated to bashing Tesla for it's delivery games. Just about all of us wanted the car we ordered months ago. Just then they tease new cosmetic body changes and a whole bunch of us are secretly hoping one's specific delivery gets just slightly delayed and indeed some declaring outright they will do anything to reject delivery until the new lights. I'm definitely secretly hoping for the new design but staunchly accepting whatever car is offered. It's just a car and I'll keep it for 3 years only.

Last edited:
I have used for almost 22k miles (almost 1/2 in the dark). Not seeing "absolutely terrible" in the them. But as @IamGaryGnu pointed out - I am not the undumbest.
Maybe it's your super canine vision? I will opine once I get my S back from detailer and do some driving with my old, nearsighted eyes.

Ok it's official Tesla is a network of smart a's having fun at our expense. Here's a major TMC thread solely dedicated to bashing Tesla for it's delivery games. Just about all of us wanted the car we ordered months ago. Just then they tease new cosmetic body changes and a whole bunch of us are secretly hoping one's specific delivery gets just slightly delayed and indeed some declaring outright they will do anything to reject delivery until the new lights. I'm definitely secretly hoping for the new design but staunchly accepting whatever car if offered. It's just a car and I'll keep it for 3 years only.
In May i might have agreed with you. After the tesla emotional and sanity roller coaster, all bets are off!

I keep hearing it's terrible.
This. Any side by side nighttime comparisons (on a garage door or something showing light pattern/brightness) to see for myself? I sometimes get myself worked up by stuff like this on forums and find that in actuality I can barely tell a difference in real life. Drove a friend's 2019 Model S at night before and headlights seemed just fine to me (and I drive a M3P). Rear diffused lights would be nice, I won't lie, but despite the whizz-bang I can't honestly say I EVER see those in use since I'm always driving the car or its turned off.

My 2018 Audi S5 Sportback had some of the sexiest taillights and signals, and I think I saw them in use once in the 2+ years I owned it.

Just a little perspective. If my NF464 build doesn't have them when it's delivered, I'm not rejecting it on that basis if it's free of defects.

This. Any side by side nighttime comparisons (on a garage door or something showing light pattern/brightness) to see for myself? I sometimes get myself worked up by stuff like this on forums and find that in actuality I can barely tell a difference in real life. Drove a friend's 2019 Model S at night before and headlights seemed just fine to me (and I drive a M3P). Rear diffused lights would be nice, I won't lie, but despite the whizz-bang I can't honestly say I EVER see those in use since I'm always driving the car or its turned off.

My 2018 Audi S5 Sportback had some of the sexiest taillights and signals, and I think I saw them in use once in the 2+ years I owned it.

Just a little perspective. If my NF464 build doesn't have them when it's delivered, I'm not rejecting it on that basis if it's free of defects.
I think the bigger point is that in 2 years (after the regs are settled) the Matrix headlights will be able to do some pretty nifty things to substantially improve performance.

I think the bigger point is that in 2 years (after the regs are settled) the Matrix headlights will be able to do some pretty nifty things to substantially improve performance.
Perhaps, but I've only seen mention of new projectors on the redesigned MS. Just googled matrix headlights and they do seem pretty cool, if they do actually allow you to use your high beams all the time.

Saw this over in the Reddit cesspool from somebody who appears to have some inside info. Take it for what it's worth;

"Tesla started the retooling of their Fremont lines which includes these upgrades last night and Tesla will be producing them in the next couple of weeks."
Welp i guess no New lights for me then, I, unlike others who refuse to admit, only cared about the new headlights because of them being able to spell TESLA haha. The engineer in me also wants them because of the benefits they would bring now and in future but it sure as hell won't be stopping me from taking delivery in 2 week

Great that they work for you. I think the headlights in my current car are terrible in low lit or unlit areas. Even a Rav4 (at the high end) has headlights which are much better. Bright and sharp cutoff. I often have to turn on the high beams because they just don't illuminate enough.

Ok it's official Tesla is a network of smart a's having fun at our expense. Here's a major TMC thread solely dedicated to bashing Tesla for it's delivery games. Just about all of us wanted the car we ordered months ago. Just then they tease new cosmetic body changes and a whole bunch of us are secretly hoping one's specific delivery gets just slightly delayed and indeed some declaring outright they will do anything to reject delivery until the new lights. I'm definitely secretly hoping for the new design but staunchly accepting whatever car is offered. It's just a car and I'll keep it for 3 years only.
It will be nice to know a start date of when they will be fitted with the new head/tail lights to help clarify if your car has them or not