Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Updated delivery window datapoint for my December 3 MS order:
  • Initial delivery window was December 22 – 31
  • On December 23, that was pushed forward 25 days to January 16 – February 27
  • Now that has been updated to January 18 – February 22
The fact that it has been pushed out by nearly four weeks, and substantially widened from the initial window, makes me wonder if there isn't some factory downtime for retooling for some minor 2024 updates. I'm less than an hour from the Fremont factory, so there is no substantial transport delay built into the window. I also have a FUSC transfer with this order.

Reactions: StalkOrNoStalk
Which I think would likely reflect between the resale values of those specific cars rather than looking at the year as a whole (also contributing is that there were pre-refresh models available in 2021 likely dragging the values down when looking in aggregate).
I don't know, but I looked at all the for-sale listings I could find and the '21 Plaids are selling for less than the '22 Plaids, even with the same mileage. It's not a huge difference, but it is less than the $500 I just gave up by cancelling my order (I had the $250 referral discount). I'm sticking on this point because I bought a new 2018 in Dec 2018 and a new '21 Plaid in mid-Nov, right before the model year changeovers. This time I did my research on when they changed over the model years for all the past years, and ordered 11/10 to just catch the model year changeover. But, Tesla changed plans this year for some unknown reason. Oh well. I doubt Tesla cares. Otherwise they would raise the order fee to $5k to prevent us from trying to game the system. And I'm sure the vast majority of buyers don't give a damn about any of this and just order a car and accept the car.

Reactions: teko and RyanC1384
I thought they might raise prices again once they change over to 2024.
Has Tesla ever done that based on VIN model year alone? They tend to raise and lower prices at random times. You could end up losing more money than you're saving as well by getting a later VIN but on the wrong side of a price increase so just the game you have to play I guess if VIN year means more than price.

So the guy that advocates throwing money away is saying if one is looking to use funds wisely he is pretending its about money? That makes total sense. Projecting much?

Listen, its fantastic that we are all different and have different priorities. If you are fine with 23 model year and math works for you, then go for it, its not wrong. But don't tell me that should work for me too.
No one is telling you what works for you. I'm just suggesting that all this stressing over VIN year isn't worth it. If you want a 2024 VIN, wait until it's confirmed Tesla has changed over and then order.

Reactions: RyanC1384
It has nothing to do with 3k breaking the bank. Its now 2024, I don't want a 2023 vin in 2024. Milage is more of a factor in resale, but the year of the car matters, especially the first 2-4 years, go look at used prices. If you keep it 8-10 years then the year matters very little, not many do that. Financially, keeping an old car and paying to fix it costs less than the depreciation on a newer vehicle. I want an MSP because I want one, its not a great financial decision for anyone. Regardless of how anyone feels about this issue, the problem is the way Tesla keeps us all in the dark on model years. My delivery date has been moving daily since end of November, 2 full month swing from earliest to latest now, multiple guess......
I assume if Tesla is assigning a VIN today (or soon), it will be a 2024. If you were assigned a VIN in 2023, it will likely be a 2023. Since it takes Tesla a few weeks to deliver cars, you can get a 2023 VIN in 2024.

The only sure what to avoid this is to wait. Or buy from a dealership like from BMW, Ford...etc where you know the VIN year it is since it's on the sticker from the start.

Reactions: Kohley
Good deal. I just changed to 21s. Although, if it gets assigned, then I'll get stuck with 21s. At least I like the 21s, though. I'd really prefer the track pack 20s, so I was thinking I'd get 19s.

There is something nice about getting a Plaid for $89,990.

The 21s have so many disadvantages I consider them worth less than the 19s.

19 Pros:
  • Tires cost less
  • More choices for tires
  • They last longer
  • Less pothole damage
  • Better range
  • Accelerate slightly faster
  • Better handling in the corners (and yes I know this from experience since I had the 21s and 19s on the my P85DL+ that I swapped back and fourth).
  • Quieter

19 Pros:
  • Tires cost less
  • More choices for tires
  • They last longer
  • Less pothole damage
  • Better range
  • Better handling in the corners (and yes I know this from experience since I had the 21s and 19s on the my P85DL+ that I swapped back and fourth).
  • Quieter
True. I had the 21s on my '21 Plaid and the inner tire wear is annoying. I'd have to get shims or camber arms to fix it. I was thinking I'd avoid that this time around by getting the 19s.

Hmm. I could switch it back to 19s and yoke? But I'd be more annoyed getting stuck with the yoke for $1k. I had the Yoke and liked it for highway driving, but it is stupid around town. And the peeling is a huge pain. I wouldn't want to pay $1k more for it.

I assume if Tesla is assigning a VIN today (or soon), it will be a 2024. If you were assigned a VIN in 2023, it will likely be a 2023. Since it takes Tesla a few weeks to deliver cars, you can get a 2023 VIN in 2024.

The only sure what to avoid this is to wait. Or buy from a dealership like from BMW, Ford...etc where you know the VIN year it is since it's on the sticker from the start.
I agree with your comments. No vin assigned to me yet, I ordered in November, hope you are correct and any new vin assignments will be 2024.

Reactions: dsm363
I don't know, but I looked at all the for-sale listings I could find and the '21 Plaids are selling for less than the '22 Plaids, even with the same mileage. It's not a huge difference, but it is less than the $500 I just gave up by cancelling my order (I had the $250 referral discount). I'm sticking on this point because I bought a new 2018 in Dec 2018 and a new '21 Plaid in mid-Nov, right before the model year changeovers. This time I did my research on when they changed over the model years for all the past years, and ordered 11/10 to just catch the model year changeover. But, Tesla changed plans this year for some unknown reason. Oh well. I doubt Tesla cares. Otherwise they would raise the order fee to $5k to prevent us from trying to game the system. And I'm sure the vast majority of buyers don't give a damn about any of this and just order a car and accept the car.
As this is technically a buy back replacement car for you I can’t imagine you would loose much with either Vin year. JMO.

19 Pros:
  • Tires cost less
  • More choices for tires
  • They last longer
  • Less pothole damage
  • Better range
  • Quieter
I agree and ordered the 19s, will ride better too. But, better cornering would generally be with a wider tire and less side wall flex, the 21s should have more grip. This isn't always the case if the tires are too stiff for the chassis or if the corners are bumpy. A skid pad or lap times is the only way to tell for sure. On a track like Road America, the 21s would be faster, it's silky smooth, at Willow springs (big track), its bumpier, 19s might be faster. On the street with us mortal drivers, 19s are the way to go, those 21s do look great though!

Reactions: Carolina Karl