Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe. I’d argue hw3 and hw4 are worse than hw2 at the moment given hw2 still has radar. No gpuarantee Tesla won’t continue to make things worse.
Good point. I'd argue from driving a few different loaners that hw3 with FSD is the best right now. My '21 Plaid had the radar, I believe, but I don't think they were using it anyway. The loaners I have had with Hw 2.5 and HW4 have had some annoying things.

I'd say it's pretty likely HW4 will surpass HW3. The cameras are much better. Better data should easily yield better results when it comes to ML.

Order date 12/23/2023
MSLR/White/Cream/Wheel/19''
Original EDD Jan24-Feb24
Revised: 01/04/24 - EDD pushed to Feb 13 to Mar 26
Notified later in the day: 01/04/24 - EDD Jan 4 to 11
Delivered: 01/07/24 at Sunday noon.

The vehicle is worth the wait . . . but it's also worth getting sooner than later! Thanks to all for this great forum.
Carolina Karl got his car ...
Carolina Karl has left the chat. 😁

I've had the car for 3 days. We're coming from a 2013 Model S. The new car is noticeably better in every way possible. The ride is smoother, and the seats are a different world. The power is plentiful. I will get used to the horn and the turn signals. Buy with confidence!
Haven't driven if more than a hour to two so far but the seats are definitely a noticeable improvement. Much smoother ride as you said and so much quicker than the P85 even. I won't get used to the horn but the signals are ok for the most part.

Oh, and let's not forget the motorized tilt :)
Still, at $71K, it's probably smarter from a long term depreciation. You keep it long enough, and the depreciation final value of buying new vs used for $20K less (even more if you give value to FSD) will eventually converge and you'll always have save the $20K plus whatever you could grow that $20K into over the next say 8 years of owning that Plaid.

My biggest concern would be if there's something wrong with the car. Is this at a dealer? If it's a private party, make sure they show you the service history in the app and provide you with the PDF downloads for each service date in the app so you know none are excluded. The app only shows the last 10 appointments. If there are more than that, I'd probably steer clear.

Oh, and let's not forget the motorized tilt :)
Still, at $71K, it's probably smarter from a long term depreciation. You keep it long enough, and the depreciation final value of buying new vs used for $20K less (even more if you give value to FSD) will eventually converge and you'll always have save the $20K plus whatever you could grow that $20K into over the next say 8 years of owning that Plaid.

My biggest concern would be if there's something wrong with the car. Is this at a dealer? If it's a private party, make sure they show you the service history in the app and provide you with the PDF downloads for each service date in the app so you know none are excluded. The app only shows the last 10 appointments. If there are more than that, I'd probably steer clear.
Here's the vehicle history. The first owner was reasonable, but the second owner in GA only kept it for about 6 months. Suspicious.....

Yeah, I value FSD at about $5k. I plan on subscribing on my new car, so that's about $5k over two years. 21s I don't care much about, but I'd probably sell them off for about $2k.

Here's the vehicle history. The first owner was reasonable, but the second owner in GA only kept it for about 6 months. Suspicious.....

Yeah, I value FSD at about $5k. I plan on subscribing on my new car, so that's about $5k over two years. 21s I don't care much about, but I'd probably sell them off for about $2k.

What I mean by history is the service documents for issues that service may not have fixed making a factor in them deciding to dump it. The kind of stuff that will never show up in a car fax. i.e. does it have the cv shaft vibration issue on acceleration. Cars that have it seem to never be fixable even after repeated replacements while other cars never developed the issue even in 850+ dragstrip launches like Andrew's Plaid.

What I mean by history is the service documents for issues that service may not have fixed making a factor in them deciding to dump it. The kind of stuff that will never show up in a car fax. i.e. does it have the cv shaft vibration issue on acceleration. Cars that have it seem to never be fixable even after repeated replacements while other cars never developed the issue even in 850+ dragstrip launches like Andrew's Plaid.
Yeah. I don't think you'll be able to get those when buying from a dealer. They would only be in the owner's app service history. It would also probably be wiped between owners, so even the most recent owner would only have 6 months of history. Some good motivation to buy private party. When I sold my Roadster, I gave the new owner all the service invoices from my services and the ones that the previous owner gave me...

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
Yeah. I don't think you'll be able to get those when buying from a dealer. They would only be in the owner's app service history. It would also probably be wiped between owners, so even the most recent owner would only have 6 months of history. Some good motivation to buy private party. When I sold my Roadster, I gave the new owner all the service invoices from my services and the ones that the previous owner gave me...

It's not 6 months. It's 10 visits. My service history on my MXP, before I turned it in, went back more than a year but clipped at 10 appointments. But yea, if it's a dealer, you have no way to get that history.

My personal experience with buying used cars, which I don't do any more, is that there are always way more problems with dealer bought used cars than finding just the right private seller. The dealer provides a white wash of all the issues that are a lot harder to hide when you're buying from a private party.

It's not 6 months. It's 10 visits. My service history on my MXP, before I turned it in, went back more than a year but clipped at 10 appointments. But yea, if it's a dealer, you have no way to get that history.

My personal experience with buying used cars, which I don't do any more, is that there are always way more problems with dealer bought used cars than finding just the right private seller. The dealer provides a white wash of all the issues that are a lot harder to hide when you're buying from a private party.
Sorry, I meant only 6 months because the most recent owner only held the car for 6 months.

Yeah, you are probably right. It probably isn't worth the hassle. I love getting a good deal, but it probably isn't worth the time or risk. And the difference in money doesn't mean much.

There's maybe something psychological about getting a used car, where I can let go a little bit of my obsessive nature about protecting the car. If it already has some chips and flaws, who cares about a few more? But a new car, I feel like I should protect it more. A lease was handy for that too. I could say screw it, not my car in 2 years. 😅

Sorry, I meant only 6 months because the most recent owner only held the car for 6 months.

Yeah, you are probably right. It probably isn't worth the hassle. I love getting a good deal, but it probably isn't worth the time or risk. And the difference in money doesn't mean much.

There's maybe something psychological about getting a used car, where I can let go a little bit of my obsessive nature about protecting the car. If it already has some chips and flaws, who cares about a few more? But a new car, I feel like I should protect it more. A lease was handy for that too. I could say screw it, not my car in 2 years. 😅

Is this a '21 you can get your hands on and test drive first?

I thought ultrasound was removed in 2022?
USS was removed in early 2023. You can find some early 2023 VINs (manufactured late 2022) that are the second version of Palladium (SOP15 with new lights, HW3, with USS, without radar).

According to this page
SOP16 started production on January 12, 2023. That is the version with HW4, radar, no USS, new colors, new roof.