Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Just ordered my Model S tonight and have a few questions. My VIN was assigned near instantly, so I'm thinking that this is an already existing inventory vehicle. Last 6 of the VIN is 537xxx - can someone with a recent VIN assignment let me know if this is in range for a newly manufactured vehicle? I'm inclined to reject the VIN if this is a months old inventory vehicle. Thanks!

Hi all,

Just ordered my Model S tonight and have a few questions. My VIN was assigned near instantly, so I'm thinking that this is an already existing inventory vehicle. Last 6 of the VIN is 537xxx - can someone with a recent VIN assignment let me know if this is in range for a newly manufactured vehicle? I'm inclined to reject the VIN if this is a months old inventory vehicle. Thanks!
If it’s new are you afraid it may be spoiled? It’s not a head of lettuce, it’s a car. You can always just ask your advisor what the build date is. Much easier than hunting vins on the internet. Plus you’re in Cali where it’s built. It could be built yesterday. Avoid hunting for the worst case and you might be happy with the result.

If it’s new are you afraid it may be spoiled? It’s not a head of lettuce, it’s a car. You can always just ask your advisor what the build date is. Much easier than hunting vins on the internet. Plus you’re in Cali where it’s built. It could be built yesterday. Avoid hunting for the worst case and you might be happy with the result.
Is asking a question on an open forum frowned upon now? I don’t really feel the need to explain myself to you, and you likely aren’t going to change my mind. Thanks for your input, though.

Reactions: jelyk and MYP24
Hi all,

Hi,

I received my VIN yesterday and it is 540xxx. I ordered last week Thursday and will be picking up in Fremont. Hope this helps.

Hi all,

5/9 order with VIN received on 6/3 (539XXX) delivery in Texas 6/22. If there's an RF prepending the last six digits, it's a '24 build.

Tim

Reactions: SeaOtter
Is asking a question on an open forum frowned upon now? I don’t really feel the need to explain myself to you, and you likely aren’t going to change my mind. Thanks for your input, though.
Yelobird was stern but correct. You're better off talking to your sales advisor on the build date. We can't find that for you. Usually when we're tracking VIN's, it's when a change or upgrade to the vehicle has occurred and we're trying to estimate when the factory made the changes.

Yelobird was stern but correct. You're better off talking to your sales advisor on the build date. We can't find that for you. Usually when we're tracking VIN's, it's when a change or upgrade to the vehicle has occurred and we're trying to estimate when the factory made the changes.

Yeah. I don’t get the preoccupation whether the build was done 2 weeks ago or wil be made 3 weeks from order. Gonna be the same car. No changes are taking place.

Yeah. I don’t get the preoccupation whether the build was done 2 weeks ago or wil be made 3 weeks from order. Gonna be the same car. No changes are taking place.
But like a old head of lettuce, it might be on the shelf for a reason, namely, a reject.

Just get the birthdate and status from the SA, easy to do, and always look under the car before accepting.

Reactions: zoomer0056
That, plus inspect the car before you make final payment. Hopefully you drive off a happy camper.

Reactions: TBrownTX
But like an old head of lettuce, it might be on the shelf for a reason, namely, a reject.
Exactly. This isn’t my first rodeo - my 4th Tesla, actually, and since S/X inventories are aplenty, I’m obviously not going to want a car that’s been sitting on the lot for 6 months - that’s 6 months of calendar aging on the battery pack. We are all enthusiasts here striving for the best product, so the backlash to such a simple question (and quite rudely, I might add) astounds me.

And yes, I did text my advisor, but wait till you guys find out that my advisor likely isn’t checking his work messages at midnight. I got an answer from someone on this thread within an hour.

Exactly. This isn’t my first rodeo - my 4th Tesla, actually, and since S/X inventories are aplenty, I’m obviously not going to want a car that’s been sitting on the lot for 6 months - that’s 6 months of calendar aging on the battery pack. We are all enthusiasts here striving for the best product, so the backlash to such a simple question (and quite rudely, I might add) astounds me.

And yes, I did text my advisor, but wait till you guys find out that my advisor likely isn’t checking his work messages at midnight. I got an answer from someone on this thread within an hour.
If it also helps, the Model S plaid I’m surrendering for a buyback is VIN 534xxx that I picked up on March 16 of this year. Seems like the only built roughly 6,000 in 3 months.

Why did they buy it back?
Search his posts and you'll find this :

Been waiting for the FSD transfer to come back to get a new S. But now I am going to wait till 2nd half of next year. Elon said HW5 (AI5) will be then. Unless he says HW4 vehicles will be upgradeable to AI5, no point in buying now. And most likely it won't be.
He said end of next year, which probably means the beginning of 2026 for shipment.