Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I confirmed with my DS today that cars for the Cincy SvC are sent by train to Chicago, then trucked to Cincy. He also said that my delivery window will tighten to 1 week when the train reaches Chicago.

@wilheldp,

Great info... Let me know how the delivery process goes and what you think of the CVG SC. I made the road trip up there to check it out. A MS70 and a Blue X on the floor when I stopped in... Nothing else on the lot. This is where I'll be taking delivery of my 3 most likely.

Ski

We both are pretty much exactly the same time of ordering, etc.

When I checked my Tesla on 7/9 around 5PM it finally mentioned in Transit and the dates updated to July 16-July 30th. 3 hours later it was July 30-Aug-13. However, since the DS first contacted me she has mentioned a target delivery date at SC on 7/27. Let's see what she says now that it is in transit.

How do you know your car is on the way to Chicago by train and then truck? I dont have that information.

I really wanted my car by 7/29 so I could take it on my trip :( Now I'm going to have to rent a car since my trade-in happens a week before due to the Alliant rate.

Thanks Nish.

I know my car comes by train to Chicago because I had seen people talking about train vs truck transport (and how train is slower) and how cars were coming to Chicago by train. So when I first saw my window change to July 25 - August 8, and my status change to in transit (both happened on July 6), I called my DS and asked various questions, including, does it come by train or truck to Toronto? He told me train to Chicago, then truck from there because they had previously tried to train them all the way, but found trains across the border were way too slow.

I have seen other people in the easter US say they have also been told their cars are coming by train as far as Chicago, then truck from there, so the trip to Chicago must be a convenient dumping point for Tesla Motors to chop off a huge part of the trip that would be less efficient by multiple trucks.

I really want my car by August 5 for a trip I'm taking, so if they hit the earlier part of my delivery window, I'll just squeak in. Obviously though, I want it NOW. :)

I think Tesla expedited my car to reduce the server load due to the number of times I hit refresh on the MyTesla site :)

Indeed. Ditto.

I don't really know much about how my car got from CA to the SC in Dedham, MA. Up until it arrived in Dedham the DS's there basically only giving me the info as shown on the MyTesla site. Who told you how your vehicle was transported?

I saw other people say train to Chicago. My DS confirmed train to Chicago then truck to Toronto. At least one other here, @wilheldp, says he was told by his DS that cars for Cincinnati also go train to Chicago then truck to Cincy.

@wilheldp,

Great info... Let me know how the delivery process goes and what you think of the CVG SC. I made the road trip up there to check it out. A MS70 and a Blue X on the floor when I stopped in... Nothing else on the lot. This is where I'll be taking delivery of my 3 most likely.

Ski

I haven't been there yet, but I have met 2 employees in person and one over phone and email. Everybody is very nice and my DS has been happily indulging my incessant emails (I try to keep it to 1 per day, max). I know for a fact that they had 3 Model S's because I've driven 2 and seen the other. They may have just been loaned out for service loaners or on test drives when you stopped by. I still haven't seen a Model X in person yet...I hope there is one around when I take delivery of my S.

Ravejads:
For about the last 8 months, most all of the New England and NY cars have been arriving by truck direct from Fremont. There have been some train shipments into Newark, NJ but they are rare and take much longer. I know this fact as I often chat with the truck drivers who are making the deliveries. In good weather they can make it to New England in 5 days time... more if they have to make stops along the way for weather or break bulk offloads.

BTW, on my last chat with a driver, he gave me some great golf putting tips... he is a scratch golfer and makes stops enroute to play the hard courses along the way... He shot a 69 at Great River (Milford, CT) last weekend.

Reactions: ravejads.tmc
order 6/20
Confirmed 6/27 ~7 days
Production 7/12 ~ 15 days from confirmed

What's interesting is that I got the email that my MS has entered production but my tesla still says the same expected delivery July end - August. Does my Tesla page also update? Does anyone have all the status it goes to before delivery? Screenshot of my tesla?

DS said yesterday, you are expected to go into production next Friday - lol guess he is wrong

What's the timeframe people have for delivery to DMV area after production? 2 weeks??

• Helpful
Reactions: Austral
Masti, I'm the same situation and have the same doubts about the emails, MyTesla page, and DS estimates, none of which match. So odd. MyTesla page does not even acknowledge production or anything new since confirmation. Other buyers seem to know which side of the train their vehicle is on; wish I did. Would make life easier vis-a-vis when to get financing, when to sell my current vehicle, and when to be in town for delivery. Just sayin'. #customerconvenience #couldbebetter #yeahiknowiwillsurvive

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: BigAirHarper
Masti, I'm the same situation and have the same doubts about the emails, MyTesla page, and DS estimates, none of which match. So odd. MyTesla page does not even acknowledge production or anything new since confirmation. Other buyers seem to know which side of the train their vehicle is on; wish I did. Would make life easier vis-a-vis when to get financing, when to sell my current vehicle, and when to be in town for delivery. Just sayin'. #customerconvenience #couldbebetter #yeahiknowiwillsurvive
i agree.. i have a trade in with tesla and they want that in the next two weeks and then i'll need a rental. if i knew where we were i might just keep the current car for a week or two more as the cost of rental for a small car vs my car is must better..

great enjoy! i assume you are picking up from rockville? or Tyson?

Are you getting the Opti Coat on tesla if yes -- where in DC?

Picking up in Tysons, getting scotchguard pro added by the guys that do Ferrari / Lambo of Washington in my garage in a couple weeks. I am going to clean and put duragloss on it myself, should help if there are only light swirls

I confirmed in April by the way the week of the refresh, I asked for a July delivery