Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting, Do you know anything about that black area to the left of the main section? It's not on all the AP cars - here's a clip out of the P85D Popular Science had (and left a high res photo where Google could find it for me)
I have the same black spot on my car that was delivered Monday. I can't detect any additional sensors. Perhaps if there is a hardware change @javawolfpack and I may have just missed out on the hardware change but we got an updated windshield that will go with the new hardware?

Kind of derailing the thread with this windshield talk, but it wouldn't make any sense to black out a section of the windshield for a coming sensor update. There's nothing behind the blackout, and if they were going to end up cameras behind the blackout, they'd have to change the windshield to one without a blackout...

I think it's more likely that the blackout is used to improve the accuracy of the existing sensors in certain conditions, like a sunshade or something. If you notice, it's on the side of the light sensor opposite of the camera. Perhaps light was leaking in from that side but the other side was blocked by the camera, so the quick fix was to blackout a portion of the glass? Maybe that side of the sensor housing was getting too hot when parked and causing problems with the sensors inside? Pure speculation, but I just don't see why a windshield blackout portion would have anything to do with an upcoming hardware change...

• Informative
Reactions: hybridbear
I have the same black spot on my car that was delivered Monday. I can't detect any additional sensors. Perhaps if there is a hardware change @javawolfpack and I may have just missed out on the hardware change but we got an updated windshield that will go with the new hardware?

If you recall, the rumor that I've been busily doubting in a few threads here didn't say that there would be new sensors this week, but just new housings and wiring for future sensors. Depending on what that blackout is (windshield blacked out? area covered by housing but not front plate?) it might be the first evidence of that.

I got a minor update but an update nevertheless, I am fairly certain now that the Alliant guy (via DS) knew my date would be the 26th for a while now. my estimated window was August 19-September 3!

Your estimated delivery window is August 19, 2016 - August 26, 2016.

Interesting, Do you know anything about that black area to the left of the main section? It's not on all the AP cars

The black area to the side of the AP camera marks the area of the windscreen that doesn't have the metallised film and is where you can place transponders/etags/RFID tags so that they don't get blocked by the metallised film (see page 154 of the Australian owners manual, around page 160 of the US edition I think).

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Got email from my DS last night saying car was through general build and was "in body of white", aka ready for paint booth. ETA to me is week of Sept 19th. (Ordered 7/23, confirmed 7/30) Seemingly way ahead of schedule based on what I've seen in the spreadsheet. Looks like they are building a lot of 60 and 60D's right now as the spreadsheet shows a lot of us with those models are in the same general vicinity of the current status. Counting down the days! :)

Got email from my DS last night saying car was through general build and was "in body of white", aka ready for paint booth. ETA to me is week of Sept 19th. (Ordered 7/23, confirmed 7/30) Seemingly way ahead of schedule based on what I've seen in the spreadsheet. Looks like they are building a lot of 60 and 60D's right now as the spreadsheet shows a lot of us with those models are in the same general vicinity of the current status. Counting down the days! :)
You have a good DS there! Most of us do not get updates like that. Heck, it's usually tough just getting a reply :(

Today is delivery day for me! My appointment isn't until 4, but I went ahead and updated the tracking spreadsheet as delivered anyways :)

I just got the email stating they are beginning prep and I should reach out to schedule pick-up. Seeing as how my pick-up is in 5 hours I am going to hope the tracking system is really slow and they didn't wait until the day of delivery to start looking at my car.

It says in the manual that it's for mounting toll road transmitters. I used it for my dash cam.

• Helpful
Final Farewell from this thread! Took delivery Saturday, and all those still waiting hang in there, it is so worth it. I've been waiting 3 years and the day has finally come!

Chose to take delivery in Orlando for the full experience vs getting it delivered to my house. Financials already done so had to sign papers and leave. However, never met my assigned DS. Another girl was only one doing deliveries. She was very nice but customers before us were a bit of a PITA for them I believe and ran over an hour past their allotted time.

We had another girl in store show us through car for 20 min (we knew everything already). Then I got to work removing front license plate holder (so ugly). I had a pair of 45 degree pliers with me, borrowed a screw driver and in 10 min it was off. Nice to do in the clean AC environment.

Only problem with car was spring back of console door was slow. It was promptly fixed while we waited for the DS to finish her first delivery. Couple of door trim pieces don't line up perfectly but it isn't by much and no one will ever notice but me so I don't care. The car is so sexy it doesn't matter.

Also, the app didn't start working until Monday. Internal issue with Tesla the DS said.

Now for the pics! Drove home via the supercharger network the day after delivery. How freaking cool. Will probably create a new thread documenting my drive home.

And due to the 1 hr delay we got an extra umbrella and coffee mug plus they tossed in the grey wheel caps and black lug nut covers for the set of wheels I bought from a guy off TMC same day. I LOVE Tesla.
IMG_4460.JPG
IMG_4472.JPG
IMG_4478.JPG
IMG_4479.JPG