Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well CBP get any sleep last night? Now that you got a taste of your car. :D

It turns out we have several Opti Coat shops in my area. May I ask what type of price range do they quote I see two levels of treatment.

Still no in production update from Tesla for me. Didn't even get the 3 invite either. :(

DC there is a place right over in Ashburn that provides the Opti Coat, they have a Tesla right on there home page.

We can shop around and perhaps get a better price, if we were to offer them to do 2 cars instead of one....

depends on a lot of factors like:

1. how reputable is your detailer?
Usually the really good ones that do super professional jobs are not cheap, because they are known for super professional work.
I definitely would not go looking for the cheapest denominator on Opticoat service...
If his price is too cheap vs competition, then just pass.
If he doesn't state up front and ask how many coats when he gives prices... also pass.

Getting a bad opticoat is a PITFA.
It requires massive amounts of buffing and stripping, so you really want to get it done right the first time. 0

2. How many coats are you getting?
Typical is like 5-6 coats with people going crazy to 10.

3. Location.
Prices will vary state from state with cities like SF/LA/NYC being about 20% more expensive then places like some of the smaller cities...
It sucks living in a high population city.

But you really should look at paint protection film as well, if not do research on both.
Xpel offers a 10yr warrenty on most jobs though authorized.
They offer a clear front bra package which typically most of the average users will only need.
There is no special body work requirement for Xpel if you need accident repair as you would need with opticoat.
Meaning if they fix a panel, you just need to get that panel refilmed.

In any rate if the car is bought, and not leased, i highly recommend you do one or the other.
If its leased, then getting that job done will not increase the value of the car in any way unless u live under a lot of tree's where sap/bird dung falls on your cars and cause hell to the paint.

Thanks for the info..just wanted to know a ballpark..will call around and ask locally....

I know!!!!!!! I am just so excited for you! I LOVE this car. I have had it home one full day now and OMG....it is a dream come true! Plus I am so glad I don't see them everywhere! I see Lexus and Mercedes and every other kind of car but hardly any Teslas! That, I love!

Black Magic Rocks - On a dark highway at night, make sure you keep the interior lights on!!

Reactions: CBPfromTN
Quick update. I had a factory tour on the 21st and saw a beautiful MS coming off the line towards the end. The next morning I got the status update that my vehicle had finished production and is in transit.

Expected pickup of Friday, March 9th.

Overall, mid-Dec order and confirmation
VIN on Jan 25
Entered production on Feb 16st
In transit via rail as of the 25th
Tentative delivery date of March 9

I have a feeling that our cars, along with few others mentioned on this forum, will be shipped via "high-speed" train from CA to Birmingham. Hence the delay. Please let me know what you find on BuffGuys or any other reputable shop in ATL.
I started with the basics:
Buff Guys
They have a pretty nice website, it describes their different application packages and prices. I thought it was ironic that I was looking for some kind of advanced windshield protection other than film and Buff Guys has some type of windshield application listed in their menu that I will definitely call them on. They do not mention Expel so I will ask that question as well.

I started with the basics:
Buff Guys
They have a pretty nice website, it describes their different application packages and prices. I thought it was ironic that I was looking for some kind of advanced windshield protection other than film and Buff Guys has some type of windshield application listed in their menu that I will definitely call them on. They do not mention Expel so I will ask that question as well.

Maybe we can get two cars discount? :) they also offer caliper coating, but no mentioning of caliper painting. Thinking of paining them red.

I like the two car discount! I want to do the red calipers as well, heave you looked at the ones from Evannex. I have no idea what it costs to have them painted, but the Evannex caliper covers are probably quicker. My local shop quoted me $40 to put them on. I want to get a quote on Xpel from Buff Guys or a another shop in that area.

Maybe we can get two cars discount? :) they also offer caliper coating, but no mentioning of caliper painting. Thinking of paining them red.
I like the two car discount! I want to do the red calipers as well, heave you looked at the ones from Evannex. I have no idea what it costs to have them painted, but the Evannex caliper covers are probably quicker. My local shop quoted me $40 to put them on. I want to get a quote on Xpel from Buff Guys or a another shop in that area.

• Love
Reactions: DimaATL
Looks beautiful. Congrats!! Are you planning any trips?
Yes, I am!! Driving to Memphis soon to see family. It's about miles from my home. I will charge at 100% before I leave and hope to make the Jackson, TN SC before I run out of battery. I think I should be okay. I have put that trip on my navigation and it says I should have 6% battery left BUT that won't be the case when I actually plan for the trip by charging to 100%. Right now, I think I am charging up to 80% and I drove my car a bit today and that is probably why it said I would have only about 6%. Hopefully my logic is sound :) (There is a SC in Dickson, TN which is on my route and about 70 miles from my home but it is completely out of service, which is NOT GOOD.) I thought for my first trip I would stop at Dickson and charge back up to 100% to be sure I got to Jackson but I believe I'll be ok.

Quick update. I had a factory tour on the 21st and saw a beautiful MS coming off the line towards the end. The next morning I got the status update that my vehicle had finished production and is in transit.

Expected pickup of Friday, March 9th.

Overall, mid-Dec order and confirmation
VIN on Jan 25
Entered production on Feb 16st
In transit via rail as of the 25th
Tentative delivery date of March 9
Wonderful!!! You will LOVE it!

Yes, I am!! Driving to Memphis soon to see family. It's about miles from my home. I will charge at 100% before I leave and hope to make the Jackson, TN SC before I run out of battery. I think I should be okay. I have put that trip on my navigation and it says I should have 6% battery left BUT that won't be the case when I actually plan for the trip by charging to 100%. Right now, I think I am charging up to 80% and I drove my car a bit today and that is probably why it said I would have only about 6%. Hopefully my logic is sound :) (There is a SC in Dickson, TN which is on my route and about 70 miles from my home but it is completely out of service, which is NOT GOOD.) I thought for my first trip I would stop at Dickson and charge back up to 100% to be sure I got to Jackson but I believe I'll be ok.

I'd charge somewhere in the middle...so you don't get under 25%. It's your first trip...leave some room for some variables...and learning how accurate all these calculators are. Just my 0.02

Thank you for explaining that to everyone! (Also, Opti-Coat Pro PLUS has an even better wear and warranty!) Can you just tell me really quick, what exactly is deionized water and where do you get it?
I use distilled water.
My method.
I use 1/2 oz. (1 capful) of Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine and 1 gallon of distilled water in the bucket
Optimum (NR2010G) No Rinse Wash & Shine - 1 Gallon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GG9FK2M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_XP2KAbY2G322Z
Then I toss in 6-10 of the creature microfiber towels.
(10-Pack) THE RAG COMPANY 16" x 16" Professional Edgeless 420 GSM Dual-Pile Premium Plush Microfiber Auto Detailing Towels "Creature Edgeless" (Lime Green) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TORH3S2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_eL2KAb1X4GTA3
I mix a solution of distilled water and ONR for detailing spray.
I spray each section before wiping with the soaked cloth. And dry with a Big Blue Drying Towel from Amazon before moving on to the next section.
NO.1 Premium Car Drying Towel 24x63 Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N7M9OX3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_DN2KAbKSZTZ59
I usualllly start with the front windshield, the roof glass and the rear windshield. Then I do the doors the trunk, the rear fenders & bumper. Finally I do the hood, the front bumper & front fenders. (Folding towels in 1/4 & rotating clean sides...)

I never put a dirty towel back in the solution bucket with a clean towels in it. I toss them aside in a laundry basket.
This stuff really helps.
Chemical Guys CWS_201 Microfiber Wash Cleaning Detergent Concentrate (1 Gal) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001W91J8K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_512KAb4DE1Q7E
I wash the drying towel separate from the washing towels to avoid getting any dirt in the drying towel that could scratch the car.

If the car extremely dirty I make 2 gallons of the ONR/Distalled Water Solutuon then I remove the soaked towels and use a Worx Hydroshot to prespray off heavy soil & mud, etc.
20V Hydroshot Portable Power Cleaner - WG629 | WORX

I use distilled water.
My method.
I use 1/2 oz. (1 capful) of Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine and 1 gallon of distilled water in the bucket
Optimum (NR2010G) No Rinse Wash & Shine - 1 Gallon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GG9FK2M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_XP2KAbY2G322Z
Then I toss in 6-10 of the creature microfiber towels.
(10-Pack) THE RAG COMPANY 16" x 16" Professional Edgeless 420 GSM Dual-Pile Premium Plush Microfiber Auto Detailing Towels "Creature Edgeless" (Lime Green) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TORH3S2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_eL2KAb1X4GTA3
I mix a solution of distilled water and ONR for detailing spray.
I spray each section before wiping with the soaked cloth. And dry with a Big Blue Drying Towel from Amazon before moving on to the next section.
NO.1 Premium Car Drying Towel 24x63 Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N7M9OX3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_DN2KAbKSZTZ59
I usualllly start with the front windshield, the roof glass and the rear windshield. Then I do the doors the trunk, the rear fenders & bumper. Finally I do the hood, the front bumper & front fenders. (Folding towels in 1/4 & rotating clean sides...)

I never put a dirty towel back in the solution bucket with a clean towels in it. I toss them aside in a laundry basket.
This stuff really helps.
Chemical Guys CWS_201 Microfiber Wash Cleaning Detergent Concentrate (1 Gal) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001W91J8K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_512KAb4DE1Q7E
I wash the drying towel separate from the washing towels to avoid getting any dirt in the drying towel that could scratch the car.

If the car extremely dirty I make 2 gallons of the ONR/Distalled Water Solutuon then I remove the soaked towels and use a Worx Hydroshot to prespray off heavy soil & mud, etc.
20V Hydroshot Portable Power Cleaner - WG629 | WORX
Sounds good! Thank you for all of the info and the links! I like the attention to detail! This is awesome, I cannot wait to wash my new Tesla this way! THANKS!!!

From reading through all the posts it sounds like everyone is waiting about two months but some seem to be quite a bit longer. I’d be going crazy!
My timeline is 1/6 order placed
Confirmed 1/9
Vin 1/17
In Production 2/12
And finally picking tomorrow 2/26 at 4:30!!

3E0D94C1-557A-4960-BD59-861AE0A957EE.jpeg