Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car still shows as “I’m production” even thought I’m supposed to take delivery tomorrow.

It was supposed to be on Sunday, so I’ve had to tell a constant stream of coworkers eager to see my new Tesla that it’s been moved back to (hopefully) Wednesday.

My carpool buddies are excited for the upgrade to a Tesla, and looked genuinely disappointed when I picked them up in my civic this morning ;-)

• Love
Reactions: el_tlatoani
So I just spoke to my DA and I have a confirmed appointment for Wednesday. Not a single word about the MCU2 issue so that either means I have a MCU1 or the MCU2 issue has been identified and solved. Either way I am fine. I bought the car based on the performance of the MCU1 and was perfectly happy with that. If it comes with the MCU2, it will just be icing on the cake! Either way, being a quinquagenarian, I am way too excited about acquiring a stupid car.

Reactions: bmah and jrad6515
So I just spoke to my DA and I have a confirmed appointment for Wednesday. Not a single word about the MCU2 issue so that either means I have a MCU1 or the MCU2 issue has been identified and solved. Either way I am fine. I bought the car based on the performance of the MCU1 and was perfectly happy with that. If it comes with the MCU2, it will just be icing on the cake! Either way, being a quinquagenarian, I am way too excited about acquiring a stupid car.

Well, your VIN is > than mine (I'm 2478**) and my vehicle was confirmed as having the new MCU, so i'm sure you're good :)

Reactions: Sandollars
My car still shows as “I’m production” even thought I’m supposed to take delivery tomorrow.

It was supposed to be on Sunday, so I’ve had to tell a constant stream of coworkers eager to see my new Tesla that it’s been moved back to (hopefully) Wednesday.

My carpool buddies are excited for the upgrade to a Tesla, and looked genuinely disappointed when I picked them up in my civic this morning ;-)
Hahaha all my coworkers are like “How’s that new Tesla?” Because I was supposed to pick it up last Thursday. I just tell them it still in my dreams :(

Reactions: DMack
Sounds like we’re on the same boat. I was supposed to take delivery last Thursday and I couldn’t because my car “Was sitting at the hub waiting to be assigned to a truck.” I was supposed to get a call today from the Delivery Center but nothing yet, and my OA & DA have fallen off the face of the earth because I can’t get a hold of them...

Mine's been waiting to be transported since Thursday according to my DA today. They haven't contacted me about a delivery date yet. But, he did confirm I had MCU2. Just a matter of time.

Mine's been waiting to be transported since Thursday according to my DA today. They haven't contacted me about a delivery date yet. But, he did confirm I had MCU2. Just a matter of time.
Literally exactly the same here.
Production completed & in transit on Thursday (3/15)
Just got off the phone with my DS.
I was told it was actually completed and being prepared for transport. From what I gathered they are basically waiting to amalgamate enough vehicles to fill the truck...(or railcar?)
So it’s more of a logistics Issue.
I asked if the MCU issue could delay delivery.
He said that was resolved very quickly and only an issue for about 24 hours.
My delivery appointment is 3/28, so plenty of time to get to Portland OR.

You should of said this is my tesla with a bad hair day...

Well, your VIN is > than mine (I'm 2478**) and my vehicle was confirmed as having the new MCU, so i'm sure you're good :)

Actually its been pretty much confirmed that it has more to do with production date then vin date.
So when your car went into production is more important.

Im hearing if your car went into production the second week of march, your good.
So its safe to say most if not all the Cali cars *knock on wood* should have it.
Thank god we were shafted at the end of production.
You wont hear me complain about it anymore.

It however kinda screws the east coast people that had their cars made early for shipment reasons.

Also, the new MCU is important.
It gives the MS the ability to unlock its doors and operate with your bluetooth phone, like the Model 3.

Because of this im expecting we will see a lot of new production MS and MX on the tesla inventory page from people rejecting delivery.

Honestly if your car does not have the new updated MCU, i would reject delivery, and somehow work with the DS and OA on reordering it.
Im sure they can work with you on a solution.

I pick up my new blue MS tomorrow and so excited. Goodbye Lexus. DS THINKS new MCU, but would need to confirm with CA. Wouldn't he know for sure because of the issue needing to be fixed. Getting worried that my early March production was too early. Also, it was someone's preproduction cancellation. Wonder if it matters for parts. 247XXX vin ended production somewhere around March 12 and in NJ today.

Also, the new MCU is important.
It gives the MS the ability to unlock its doors and operate with your bluetooth phone, like the Model 3.

Do you know this for a fact? I’ve never seen this asserted anywhere else, but I’ve been trying to avoid a lot of the drama surrounding the new MCU.

Personally I’ve not missed being able to unlock my Tesla from my phone in the last three years.

Bruce.

Just picked up my S100D. Had SC confirm the new MCU is there. Told them it would be a deal breaker if not.
They appreciated my level of concern because I was too close to cutoff date for comfort. Didn't need to delay delivery
as originally anticipated as the firmware or software fix for new MCU was successful. Noticed a huge difference after
playing with one on showroom floor. (11/17 build) So, we west coasters really got lucky on this one with our later build
dates. BTW my build dates were 3/7-3/13 (one week after new MCU went into production.) VIN2469xx. Ordered 1/9.
Parking lot was jammed full of new shrinkwrapped S/X/3s. Prep and detailing on mine was superb. Car is gorgeous!!

Do you know this for a fact? I’ve never seen this asserted anywhere else, but I’ve been trying to avoid a lot of the drama surrounding the new MCU.

Personally I’ve not missed being able to unlock my Tesla from my phone in the last three years.

Bruce.

It was noted by Daerik as he was helping his friend out with the new MCU.
Fast Foward to - 9m10s
newMCU.jpg

I guess its one of those things were they say ignorance is truly bliss.

But if was going to pay that much for a car, i would hope its the latest and shiniest thing off the assembly line otherwise i would expect to be able to negotiate on price on it.

Is it worth losing your deposit.... cant really say at this point as we dont know if Tesla will provide a retrofit for an upgrade fee.

But its said the original MCU alone costs ($2726 plus tax).
I hear if your reject delivery they sometimes will work with you so you only lose out 500 dollars.

So im fairly sure that MCU upgrade will cost at least anywhere up of 2000 dollars seeing how they also need to add a bluetooth antena... so in a sense, is having the car 3 months early worth you rejecting the delivery for 3 months and losing out on 500 dollars?

To me i feel that would be a definite YES.
Reject delivery, lose 500 dollars, get a possible 2000+ dollar ugprade for free.
Financially the math speaks for itself.

Unless again, you want that car NOW!. :T

Last edited:
It was noted by Daerik as he was helping his friend out with the new MCU.

Thanks for the pointer. I'm not sure if one can make that conclusion just based on the dialog box in the app, which is also used by the Model 3. I've been around the Tesla world long enough to be at least a little bit skeptical of speculation around new features.

I guess its one of those things were they say ignorance is truly bliss.

But if was going to pay that much for a car, i would hope its the latest and shiniest thing off the assembly line otherwise i would expect to be able to negotiate on price on it.

(deletia)

I don't share this point of view, but I respect your viewpoint.

Bruce.

Supposed to pick up at 5 PM today. Status is still In Transit. I guess I will just accept and hope the car is at the dealer and they are working on detailing it, and just have not updated the status. I will be pretty sad if they call me today and tell me I cannot pick up the car.

Crickets here.

FYI UP and NS railroads are still having shipping issues slowing orders to the mid west and east coast. Don't know how much it effects things. My car has just been sitting at Richmond hub for weeks, given Tyson's is just slammed. last night was first time i saw the parking lot getting back to normal.

I dont think (I hope) Mine was not affected by that rail issue. Being that I am in Chicago. From what I heard yesterday from my DS my car was local and should have been in route to the dealer yesterday. I would assume since its going on 11 am now that if there was an issue I would have heard by now. I would hope I don't get a call an hour before that there were issues. Especially since I am leaving work early for this etc.

I dont think (I hope) Mine was not affected by that rail issue. Being that I am in Chicago. From what I heard yesterday from my DS my car was local and should have been in route to the dealer yesterday. I would assume since its going on 11 am now that if there was an issue I would have heard by now. I would hope I don't get a call an hour before that there were issues. Especially since I am leaving work early for this etc.

No this issue should be southern US routes. Of course UP does to Chicago. I think they build in a lot of contingency shipping by rail. you are probably like me and eveyone is hustling to make end of quarter sales and are flooded with cars.

Mine hasn't arrived yet either, and I'm starting to wonder where it is. Supposedly mine was built 3 weeks ago but still hasn't arrived at highland park, chicago area. When was yours built?

Mine hasn't arrived yet either, and I'm starting to wonder where it is. Supposedly mine was built 3 weeks ago but still hasn't arrived at highland park, chicago area. When was yours built?

I am going to assume mine has arrived at the service center. I am scheduled to pick up today at 5 PM and its 1 PM now. yesterday my DS said it was enroute to the location and was local and said picking up today would still be a go. I have not heard otherwise so I am praying all is well.

It was supposedly built. 02/28-03/04 ish. It went in transit status immediately when it was finished. However I am not sure the car really left the factory until just recently.

I believe in a past post you stated your delivery date was later this week? It may not have arrived at the SC yet due to the scheer volume of cars needed to be delivered and the limited parking spaces some have.

Edit: Looked back and you stated your date is 03/24 Tentative. My guess is our cars were delivered to a central hub location. And then are being brought on trucks to the SC as needed depending on the delivery dates.