Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone think the re-introduction of the Models S 60 and 60D caused a big influx of orders which is what may be slowing production down for some?

From the data on the TMC tracking spreadsheet, it looks like people are taking advantage of the value found with the 60 models and
choosing it over 75 kWh models. The reason, which I believe is common among consumers, is that it offers "more car for the money". Since it also includes access to superchargers and that many drivers do not need more than 200 mile range per day (70,000 miles per year if you average it out) the MS 60 range is more than adequate for many buyers. The number of 75D orders is relatively low now. Also, it is interesting to see, a MS75 (non-D) is available should you not need the DWD capability. Various people in So. California are choosing the MS 60 due to good weather and lower pricing. While "most people" seem to have ordered a D vehicle since its introduction, more and more seem to be choosing MS60 now than in the past. Isn't it lower priced than the earlier variation of the MS60 RWD back in 2014? The MS60 is the "most EV range you can currently buy per-dollar". Since BMW i3 only offers under 100 miles at a price point of the mid $40k range - the MS60 beats that in size, utility and range (though does cost more). The only thing missing now is the larger frunk space of the older RWD models. That provided nice utility for shopping and/or travel.

So, your original question... "big influx of orders ... slowing down production for some?" The per-day VIn # distribution per week was only slightly up during June, but the trend is flat through this point in July. Contact me (PM) if you want more details on this statement. I don't like to publish such data in public forums. One key factor - people confirming orders on MS and MX are typically getting a Vin # the day of or the day after confirmation. If there was a growing backlog, this would change to a longer-wait for vin #. However, Tesla could do us all a favor and give Vin # closer to or on date of production instead of weeks in advance - this is not typical in the auto industry. Most Vin #s are established when they start painting a chassis and even custom orders from the "big 3" buyers are not aware of Vin # until they get their car.

In summary - people are buying the MS 60 instead of the MS 75 because it makes sense, primarily economically - and we know people usually vote with their pocket or purse.

We know many are waiting on the Model 3 to get a cheaper, 200 mile EV. Whether the MS 60 drives people to order early is still not apparent in the data - but we do know some have posted here that they chose to get an MS 60 early to influence the speed of when they get their Model 3. Without the MS 60 re-introduction, I would think that MS sales would be slowing now as the MX orders are being built and delivered in higher volume and as people start the less than 1-year wait for first production of Model 3. I think Q4 2015 was the highest-production count (13530) for Model S that Tesla may ever see. Q1 was 12851 and Q2 is looking a bit less (MS is well up due to backlog). MS Vin #s in Q2 was only slightly more than Q1, indicating production may be roughly the same (12500-12800). Won't know for a week but I think Q2 production was 12345 MS and 6000 MX (they gave grand-total already of 18345). Q1 2016 was 12851 MS and 2659 MX, so the MX rates are definitely up.

1 year isn't too long to wait to see them start production. Especially if you can get the same range as a MS 60 and pay $30k less. You can get two M3 for the price of one MS 60. Couples can "go EV" together and get two vehicle in a year versus one now.

Last edited:
I have a Model S 60D w/ the same dates for order/confirm/VIN but sadly I still haven't gone into production, but hoping I'm not far off... but glad you are nearly out of the insanity :) I've been constantly refreshing the MyTesla page today as estimate that today/tomorrow are likely when it will go into production... so full insanity mode here :)

In the TMC spreadsheet, three (one each 60, 75, 90) California orders with higher Vin #s are already in production. Since CA is so close, I've seen production for in-state orders take a bit longer, and be more oriented toward the end of the quarter. But you are probably right in that yours should hit production by end of this month. Looking below, Cnasty in TX has a vin # about 1500 higher than javawolfpack, so hopefully jwp gets into production soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: javawolfpack
Maybe not the right spot but looking for real world feedback on when the financing stuff happens.

I pre-applied with Alliant, approved 100% but that was on 7/6 when I ordered.
7/13 confirmed and VIN# issued.
I haven't gone in production yet and DS says "within 2 weeks" which seems pretty long since we are on 12 days already.
I never received papers, confirmation, or anything else after that phone call with Alliant.

2 different Alliant reps haven't answered emails since.

I know, I know. Be patient. I just don't want "delivery is this week!" And surprise, issue with pulling credit again or financing.

Give me mental support all!!!!

:)

And just like that I wake up to a beautiful email of "your Model S has entered production!"

I really need to relax lol

From the data on the TMC tracking spreadsheet, it looks like people are taking advantage of the value found with the 60 models and
choosing it over 75 kWh models. The reason, which I believe is common among consumers, is that it offers "more car for the money". Since it also includes access to superchargers and that many drivers do not need more than 200 mile range per day (70,000 miles per year if you average it out) the MS 60 range is more than adequate for many buyers. The number of 75D orders is relatively low now. Also, it is interesting to see, a MS75 (non-D) is available should you not need the DWD capability. Various people in So. California are choosing the MS 60 due to good weather and lower pricing. While "most people" seem to have ordered a D vehicle since its introduction, more and more seem to be choosing MS60 now than in the past. Isn't it lower priced than the earlier variation of the MS60 RWD back in 2014? The MS60 is the "most EV range you can currently buy per-dollar". Since BMW i3 only offers under 100 miles at a price point of the mid $40k range - the MS60 beats that in size, utility and range (though does cost more). The only thing missing now is the larger frunk space of the older RWD models. That provided nice utility for shopping and/or travel.

So, your original question... "big influx of orders ... slowing down production for some?" The per-day VIn # distribution per week was only slightly up during June, but the trend is flat through this point in July. Contact me (PM) if you want more details on this statement. I don't like to publish such data in public forums. One key factor - people confirming orders on MS and MX are typically getting a Vin # the day of or the day after confirmation. If there was a growing backlog, this would change to a longer-wait for vin #. However, Tesla could do us all a favor and give Vin # closer to or on date of production instead of weeks in advance - this is not typical in the auto industry. Most Vin #s are established when they start painting a chassis and even custom orders from the "big 3" buyers are not aware of Vin # until they get their car.

In summary - people are buying the MS 60 instead of the MS 75 because it makes sense, primarily economically - and we know people usually vote with their pocket or purse.

We know many are waiting on the Model 3 to get a cheaper, 200 mile EV. Whether the MS 60 drives people to order early is still not apparent in the data - but we do know some have posted here that they chose to get an MS 60 early to influence the speed of when they get their Model 3. Without the MS 60 re-introduction, I would think that MS sales would be slowing now as the MX orders are being built and delivered in higher volume and as people start the less than 1-year wait for first production of Model 3. I think Q4 2015 was the highest-production count (13530) for Model S that Tesla may ever see. Q1 was 12851 and Q2 is looking a bit less (MS is well up due to backlog). MS Vin #s in Q2 was only slightly more than Q1, indicating production may be roughly the same (12500-12800). Won't know for a week but I think Q2 production was 12345 MS and 6000 MX (they gave grand-total already of 18345). Q1 2016 was 12851 MS and 2659 MX, so the MX rates are definitely up.

1 year isn't too long to wait to see them start production. Especially if you can get the same range as a MS 60 and pay $30k less. You can get two M3 for the price of one MS 60. Couples can "go EV" together and get two vehicle in a year versus one now.

I ordered a 60D. I planned on originally getting an 85 two years ago, but my son in college took all my Tesla money. I needed an 85 back then because of the lack of Superchargers. Fast forward two years and the number of Superchargers has exploded and 98% of my driving is never more than 75 miles from home. I can get almost anywhere in US with the supercharger network, Sans southwest on Interstate 10. The MS60 allowed me to purchase a year earlier than expected. Thank God college is completed.

Updated!!
Congratulations. I confirmed the same day as you and still no production email :(
My DS just told me they experienced a shift in Model S and my production is pushed from 1st week of Aug to 2nd week of Aug.
I dont know what the DS meant by "Shift in Model S". I have asked if there is something changing in the car. They may or may not tell me more details but not a good news to hear i am getting pushed further out.

Congratulations. I confirmed the same day as you and still no production email :(
My DS just told me they experienced a shift in Model S and my production is pushed from 1st week of Aug to 2nd week of Aug.
I dont know what the DS meant by "Shift in Model S". I have asked if there is something changing in the car. They may or may not tell me more details but not a good news to hear i am getting pushed further out.

This would explain why my delivery window just shifted... not sure what that means either. I'm hoping it doesn't delay delivery too much, as I wanted to take delivery before the registration on my current vehicle expires + before the school semester kicks off as that makes travel more difficult.

I have to think that the shift in Model S production is due to making more Model X - in a higher percentage number than the 60/40 (MS/MX) percentage of later Q2. It has to be more like 40/60 to help burn down the backlog of Model X because many have been waiting years in some cases while Model S orders are simply zipping through (some under 30 days from order to delivery). Now that Model X is coming off the line with fewer errors to correct, they may be wanting to fulfill more of the backlog. Seems fair - and also avoids "sour-grapes" among the long-time waiters who chose not to convert over to Model S and were sticking it out waiting on their Model X. (though - the 5-seat MX orders are still waiting until 2017 now)

Just picked mine up this morning!!! The car is just amazing!!!

Attachments

• IMG_3729.JPG
    IMG_3729.JPG
    318.3 KB · Views: 61
Last edited: