Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can pick up at service centers, but how do you think the car gets there? Same way they ship it to your house most likely... thus same risk of scratches, I would think.

Cheers.

At the Dania store (in South Florida) they have had a detailer on site working on the cars set for delivery from out of that store. So, even though the cars are trucked there, for anyone whose car gets a detail before delivery all possibly scratches and such are taken care of before delivery. There were a lot of direct deliveries in the rush at the end of 2012, but other than states that don't allow it, I expect Tesla to try to have these detailings done prior to delivery in most circumstances to avoid these types of issues.

Maybe it should make more people consider factory pickup and a long drive home instead. I don;t think you can ever find anyone as concerned about your stuff as you are, no matter how professional. But it sure would be a long drive if you lived on Key West or in northern Maine... or even eastern Canada somewhere. Particularly if you were a pilot that lives close to Goose Bay so you could hop across the pond. But at least then you could only blame yourself for any damage.

It's impractical for folks on the East Coast who work for a living, as I do. ;-) I'm not sure I could do a cross-country drive without stuff like that happening anyway--there are many variables, luck, things you can't control (other people, weather, etc.) on a cross-country trip. Things they can control, however. Ah well.

- - - Updated - - -

Here are some pic's from our mini delivery event at Paramount Motors:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/91858606@N06/

The scratches should all be easily polished with a good detail. We did have one small spot where there looks to be a spec of dirt in the paint, but probably not worth repainting to fix it. There was also some condensation in the taillights that I didn't mention previously. The service center told us there was an issue with the seal and they were working on a redesign. There was nothing really catastrophic that would have been taken care of in a normal delivery process where a dealer gets to prep the car first. It was just a bit disappointing to be spending this kind of money on a car that get's delivered in this condition.

Any new car, for any price. Wow, that's amazing. The writing makes me think it missed some final prep before leaving the factory! Like someone was in a rush and forgot (or was running late and the delivery truck was ready to leave) to do the final checklist where it said "clean all writing, buff scratches, detail, cover in car wrap." ;-(

And how odd that at least one other car in that truck was wrapped; did you notice if it was a Model S or not? Anyway, I'm very unimpressed, Tesla.

My Model S was delivered last night! So glad to have it home finally and it is everything I expected and more. Showed up with 25mi on the odometer and about 115mi range left. As with everybody else I am still missing the parcel shelf and the rear spoiler, however my dash was trimmed with piano black instead of carbon fiber. The armrest has the carbon fiber but not the dash, I am assuming it simply came down to not having carbon fiber dash trim available when the car was built (VIN - 1995) but wanting to keep things moving forward. Has anybody else had this experience? I also never received any formal "due bill" but I am sure that Tesla will get things sorted out in the future once the service center in Houston opens and inventory increases....

I will get some pictures today in the sunlight and post em here....

My Model S was delivered last night! So glad to have it home finally and it is everything I expected and more. Showed up with 25mi on the odometer and about 115mi range left. As with everybody else I am still missing the parcel shelf and the rear spoiler, however my dash was trimmed with piano black instead of carbon fiber. The armrest has the carbon fiber but not the dash, I am assuming it simply came down to not having carbon fiber dash trim available when the car was built (VIN - 1995) but wanting to keep things moving forward. Has anybody else had this experience? I also never received any formal "due bill" but I am sure that Tesla will get things sorted out in the future once the service center in Houston opens and inventory increases....

Congratulations.... happy motoring and share a few pics.

Congrats! Call the ownership team and ask them to e-mail or tell you your due bill items. Make sure you mention the dash as they need to fix that of course.

however my dash was trimmed with piano black instead of carbon fiber. The armrest has the carbon fiber but not the dash, I am assuming it simply came down to not having carbon fiber dash trim available when the car was built (VIN - 1995) but wanting to keep things moving forward.

It could also just be an honest error. In any case, congrats!

Hmmm. Now that you have cf and piano black in front of you, what do you think?

I will be getting in touch with Tesla to discuss the trim issue and remaining due items. That being said I much prefer the look of the CF over the piano mostly because of the more matte finish, the glossy black seems to be out of place on the dash itself to be honest. I haven't seen the car in daylight yet but I can't imagine that my opinion of the piano black will change...

tdubb

When is the Houston service center scheduled to open? I am in New Orleans and they will be the closest for the moment.

Thanks

Congrats. Tesla's main GOAL was to meet their guidance of 2,000 - 2,500 deliveries by years end. Even though it's obvious they're having supplier issues they made a decision to get as many cars out the door as possible and hopefully they did.

The Houston service center is supposed to be open around March, but the service manager is in Houston and working on issues. He got my carbon dash and spoiler on order, good to see it wasn't just me who got mis matched trim.

ckessel, you probably want to call tesla service and let them know you are mis-matched, they didn't know that I was until I called and it wasn't until I told them that they put the new trim piece on order....

The Storm Trooper Look
DSC_0020.jpg

Piano Black on the dash
DSC_0023.jpg

Carbon Fiber on the cupholder
DSC_0024.jpg

@tdubb - makes me wonder how well their QA process is. That is an obvious defect that does not require any knowledge.....Looks like they went from a gold standard in QA (Elon inspecting each car) to something much less.

If they are going to execute on Elon's statement of not having the best electric car, but the best car period, simple stuff like this on top of the gap issues cannot happen.