Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After your car comes in Tesla gives you 3 days to pick it up or it goes back into inventory is what my Tesla rep told me.
I have ordered a LR in the color I want etc. I just found better financing offer from my credit union so now I can have the performance for the same monthly payment and this got me thinking but I think I am just going to go with a even lower monthly payment on the LR as the car will be here this Saturday.

Reactions: ScottRoberts33
After your car comes in Tesla gives you 3 days to pick it up or it goes back into inventory is what my Tesla rep told me.
I have ordered a LR in the color I want etc. I just found better financing offer from my credit union so now I can have the performance for the same monthly payment and this got me thinking but I think I am just going to go with a even lower monthly payment on the LR as the car will be here this Saturday.
that's ok by me......I'll just have to wait a little longer......maybe I'll change color at that time

Ordered 10/31 - 2020 MS LR, MSM, white interior, 19", FSD
1st delivery scheduled 11/21 - cancelled 11/19 as car was re-purposed as a loaner (they can do that?)
2nd delivery scheduled 12/12 - cancelled 12/5 as car did not pass inspection. Has paint correction issues they tried to fix before transport. Car now going to body shop for repair.

Frustrating to say the least. Hopefully I take delivery before end of year. Anyone hear anything on $1,875 guarantees if the delay is on Tesla?

Existing owner of a 2014 S85. Getting a red 2020, non-performance, no FSD. Silver 19’s with standard black interior.

Ordered 11/27. Confirmed 12/2. All paperwork in by 12/5 with balance due send via ACH. Shipment notification on 12/7, delivery window 12/10 through 12/12. Let’s hope that holds..

Say you’re in California and placed a new custom order a month ago with no VIN yet. Then you find the exact configuration you ordered in New York in inventory on Tesla.com that just suddenly appeared. Could or would they ship that vehicle to you or only upon ordering it specifically? Would that car just be sent there for a future sale or rejected by another customer? Just trying to understand. Is it best to wait for factory order or try and get Tesla to ship it from NY at no additional cost?

B24BCD3B-64D6-4AFE-8398-5E138F4F5121.png
Say you’re in California and placed a new custom order a month ago with no VIN yet. Then you find the exact configuration you ordered in New York in inventory on Tesla.com that just suddenly appeared. Could or would they ship that vehicle to you or only upon ordering it specifically? Would that car just be sent there for a future sale or rejected by another customer? Just trying to understand. Is it best to wait for factory order or try and get Tesla to ship it from NY at no additional cost?
In my (very) humble opinion they wouldn’t ship it back to California since it would be very easy to find a buyer in the NY area. My 10/17 order still doesn’t show a VIN, but I have a delivery appointment form12/17. I’m confident the factory is building the West Coast cars now and we’ll take possession before year end. Having purchased a Tesla in the past it doesn’t surprise me that the Owner site isn’t getting updated with VINs.

Update; I just noticed the timeline for taking delivery of a new Model S is 2-3 weeks on the website. I really think Elon is committed to delivering 100,000 plus units this quarter. But brace yourselves, delivery day will be chaotic.

Last edited:
Reactions: SoCalMike
There’s a limit on how far they will ship a new car. It’s something like 400 or 500 miles. After that they will charge $2000 to ship. That’s what I was told anyway.

Reactions: SoCalMike