Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How can you have insurance, when you have no car or vin? That part is a mystery to me.
Insurance is the only piece that isn't required to be done before VIN assignment. That's why it's still on the page after you've done all the original completed steps and you're prepare for delivery checkmark is completed.

Also my inside sales guy told me payment is not necessary, to GA at least, before your car gets put on a truck.

What date on my order page? I haven’t a date (or even a “-“) for weeks.
Insurance is the only piece that isn't required to be done before VIN assignment. That's why it's still on the page after you've done all the original completed steps and you're prepare for delivery checkmark is completed.

Also my inside sales guy told me payment is not necessary, to GA at least, before your car gets put on a truck.
Just upload your current insurance card so that space is not empty. Most states give a 30 day ‘grace’ upon purchase of a car to get insurance coverage.

Priority for matching orders will go to folks that have all their to-dos (trade, financing, insurance) handled. You can say you have no trade and are doing a cash transaction for now, and go back and change later, when they actually start deliveries.
I had the same dilemma so I did exactly what omarsultan said......no trade in / cash. I hope to change both at delivery.

Reactions: elguapo and RMan
But it qualifies right?
From what I read, yes. There are restrictions on income if you receive rebate. See details here:

I must say, I’ve enjoyed the discourse over the last few months as we’ve all been patiently waiting and trying to make sense of the tiny morsels of Model S information that have made their way around the web.

That said, I’ve got a pretty unique situation going on that I thought y'all might get a kick out of. I am currently involved in a one-on-one battle. A battle against time, missed deadlines and a convenient new car delivery vs. one that is a giant pain in the butt. Here we go...

In this corner, we have the Knoxville Tesla Service and Delivery Center. Promised since December of 2018 by Elon in a tweet, this vacated Sears Service Center building has only recently been showing signs of life and even though it's a little (or a lot) late to the party, looks as though it actually may be completed...dare I say soon?!? I mean, potted plants are being planted out front! Pretty good sign I'd say? Oh god I bet I just jinxed it.

...And in this corner, we have my Model S Plaid order. Placed in late January, promised in March...err July, like all of you I've explored the full range of emotions while waiting for this beast. Nevertheless I am still very much looking forward to the features and benefits of a third electric motor in my life. Onto the battle!

As of today, the nearest Tesla service/delivery center is in Nashville, Tennessee. A fine establishment, but almost 4 hours away from where I live and home delivery isn't offered around these parts.

When it came time to pickup my first Tesla, our excitement was 'ahem "dampened" by the fact that the Tesla folks in Nashville changed the pickup time/date so many times with little to no warning and atrocious communication all along the way. I'd get a message with a time/date, I'd confirm, make plans to be away from work for the day, get a rental car to drive there, get my finances in order, etc. and then it would change again. If I dare asked for some more lead time or for the rescheduling to please stop, I'd be threatened by "if you don't pick this car up within 24 hours, someone else will." This went on for like 3 weeks. Fun!

So here I am watching this battle unfold in slow motion. Who will win? Will the Knoxville service/delivery center show up first so I can have a smooth, convenient delivery experience of my new refreshed Model S as nature intended? Or will Fremont begin pumping out Model S’eseses at a logorhythmic order of magnitude not seen since the great fidget spinner invasion of 2017? I think it’s a toss-up at this point.

When it came time to pickup my first Tesla, our excitement was 'ahem "dampened" by the fact that the Tesla folks in Nashville changed the pickup time/date so many times with little to no warning and atrocious communication all along the way. I'd get a message with a time/date, I'd confirm, make plans to be away from work for the day, get a rental car to drive there, get my finances in order, etc. and then it would change again. If I dare asked for some more lead time or for the rescheduling to please stop, I'd be threatened by "if you don't pick this car up within 24 hours, someone else will." This went on for like 3 weeks. Fun!
I will have to pick up 4-5 hours away (selected Denver, realized I should do Colorado Springs but will see if I can change it when I have more pickup info). I'm going to have to fly to pick it up so hopefully no funny stuff.

Reactions: TNGuy99
I had the same dilemma so I did exactly what omarsultan said......no trade in / cash. I hope to change both at delivery.
I really doubt whether Tesla uses mode of payment, or how many checkboxes are ticked, to prioritize VIN allocations except for the color code for a production batch. Per consumer law, customer who paid order fee/advance (doesn't matter how big the order value is) will have the first right of refusal. After VIN assignment for an order, manufacturer cannot reallocate the vehicle to some other customer unless customer fails to fund the order through appropriate sources within the grace period per order agreement. So, once you place the order successfully, you will retain your position unless you made changes to the order impacting production line and requires a recalibration to your position in the wait queue. Logically, changing wheels or color or interior shouldn't impact your position in the queue. But, yes, if you change from LR or Plaid as the production batch for these would be completely different.

I’m just sitting here thinking about how often I’m gonna refresh the TeslaAccount page tomorrow looking for that delivery estimate. Mrs Kuzco has suggested an over/under of 25, but that feels low.

Can’t even imagine how slow the site is gonna be tomorrow with all of us melting their servers via constant F5.

All this anticipation and the update probably will be “Julgustember 1-30”

I’m just sitting here thinking about how often I’m gonna refresh the TeslaAccount page tomorrow looking for that delivery estimate. Mrs Kuzco has suggested an over/under of 25, but that feels low.

Can’t even imagine how slow the site is gonna be tomorrow with all of us melting their servers via constant F5.

All this anticipation and the update probably will be “Julgustember 1-30”
25 is definitely low. I’ll take the over. 🤣

After VIN assignment for an order, manufacturer cannot reallocate the vehicle to some other customer unless customer fails to fund the order through appropriate sources within the grace period per order agreement.

Yup, so they will prioritize VIN assignments to orders that have the highest chance of completing the transaction before the end of the month. They are not going to burn a VIN waiting on someone who is still messing around with financing or trade-in value when the person in line behind them is ready to go, they'll place the car with the second person and circle back when the first person has their ducks in a row. Similarly, Tesla will not put a car on a cross-country transport in the last week of the month for an East cost delivery (where it will not get delivered until the following month), when they can ship the car up or down the coast and get it delivered this month.

All your $100 buys you is a place in line, nothing else.

Yup, so they will prioritize VIN assignments to orders that have the highest chance of completing the transaction before the end of the month. They are not going to burn a VIN waiting on someone who is still messing around with financing or trade-in value when the person in line behind them is ready to go, they'll place the car with the second person and circle back when the first person has their ducks in a row. Similarly, Tesla will not put a car on a cross-country transport in the last week of the month for an East cost delivery (where it will not get delivered until the following month), when they can ship the car up or down the coast and get it delivered this month.

All your $100 buys you is a place in line, nothing else.

$100 bought you a front row seat to this thread and all rights thereof. As you can see, I am getting my money's worth.

Seriously? First, Elon has never said he’s on the spectrum and there’s no actual evidence that he is. If he were, it would be amazing if he was open about it and an advocate. Also, if he were, it would be personal. Second, there are zillions of extremely successful people with ASD (it’s not been defined as Asperger’s since 2013) who are incredibly capable, even in social situations or acting. It presents itself in many different ways.

I am just as open to the back and forth on the forum as anyone else, but when it comes to ASD, or other “disorders”, I’d ask the neurotypicals to be a bit more sensitive.
I was hoping that last night on SNL Elon would have mentioned the beginning of deliveries for our S’s. 😁 In any case I was quite impressed with his performance, especially considering his Aspergers.

Last edited: