Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Then there’s this example from TMC a few years ago...
The steep drop of model S prices in 2018-2019 was definitely painful for the original buyers. In Sep ‘19, I paid $74k for a Model S P100D, 20k miles, and less than 3 years old. The original owner paid $155k 🙈
From 2018 to 2020, the price of a new Model S Performance dropped by more than $50k. That probably won’t happen again.

Last edited:
Feel bad for people in Georgia waiting for their new S, this was the site at my nearest gas station today , you can the long line on the road also
6B2D018B-37E4-4605-8710-A80EE1FD035D.jpeg

Reactions: Arpe and Tigers
Stop with "My SA said". So far this week on this thread we have seen:
1) My SA said we should see something next week (which would be this week) on some deliveries and VINs
2)My SA said June into July
3)My SA said nothing till September
THE SA's HAVE NO OFFICIAL INFORMATION. I will say it again. Until we see a lot full of new cars at Fremont, all of this irrelevant. Without cars being mass produced (which we have seen no evidence of) there are no cars to be delivered. The only updates we need to see are the drone flyovers showing hundred or thousands of cars ready for delivery. Then the speculation of when and where is going to be getting cars has any relevance.

FWIW. Visited showroom today in Southwest Florida. Went there to change delivery destination because we are going to NC for the summer and would pick up MS in Nashville. SA asked me when we are coming back and I said September. He advised not to change delivery destination now as MS deliveries will not start until September. I said I assumed that was for new orders and he said they have nothing specific on that.

I learned that the VIN is the last thing to go on the car. He told me that from time of receiving VIN to delivery to Eastern US is 2-3 weeks. So, for those who are concerned about not being able to get insurance without a VIN, it appears there would be time to get insured.

He also said that we have 3 days from delivery date notification to pick up the car with no exceptions. They have so many orders that the Fort Myers center cannot hold a car for more than 3 days because they need room for new arrivals ”There is so much demand that we will sell your car to someone else if not picked up in the three day window.”

MS LR | Red | Cream |Tempest | Order RN1142 | November 2020
I got a Delivery Date "_" just show up, never had one before????

The steep drop of model S prices in 2018-2019 was definitely painful for the original buyers. In Sep ‘19, I paid $74k for a Model S P100D, 20k miles, and less than 3 years old. The original owner paid $155k 🙈
From 2018 to 2020, the price of a new Model S Performance dropped by more than $50k. That probably won’t happen again.
The other factor is a PXXD’s were $40k more than just the non “P” model, but on resale the P’s are maybe $10k higher. So the depreciation on the P models as a % is much higher than the base models.

And, lesson learned, I’m going for a MSLR to avoid eating that additional $40k. The fact it’s faster than my P85D also means I won’t notice what I’m missing. The 0-60 drags tend to lose their luster after the first three months anyway.

Reactions: Drew-MS and Tigers
FYI -- trying to figure out if what's currently listed on the Tesla store site fit the new refreshed MS or not, so I just sent an e-mail to my SA inquiring about the dimensions of the refreshed MS Plaid trunk (for the trunk mat) and floor mats, and he responded that they simply don't have the dimensions until an actual vehicle arrives at their local facility.

But, I was just thinking about this logically…isn’t there someone at Tesla Corporate that he can simply contact to inquire about the dimensions of the trunk mat and floor mats (and wheel locks) for the new refreshed MS at this time, just weeks ahead of actual deliveries? I mean, this is a vehicle which is supposed to be “in production” according to Elon Musk on the last conference call in April (and yes, I know back in Jan or Feb as well, but that was incorrect) and certainly there have been many “engineering test vehicles” seen all over the United States including a couple here in the Ft Lauderdale, FL area.

SOMEONE at Tesla Corporate must know the answers to these questions without requiring a local Tesla store/service ctr to physically have a new refreshed MS LR or Plaid. Sorry, but for a company with an $800+ billion valuation and 10 years of working experience, I would think the process of gathering such trivial information just weeks ahead of actual vehicle deliveries would be a simple phone call or email to Tesla Corporate, no??????? Something really isn’t right here; am I missing something? This entire process and company are completely ABSURD. Exactly what are the local SA's for? What are their responsibilities and why bother employing them if they don't know anything nor can they find anything out from HQ? :rolleyes::mad:

Something isn't right. I have a feeling deliveries may in fact NOT start until July at the very earliest. Sorry guys. Just a bad gut feeling about all of this.
Tesla operates like a start up.

The other factor is a PXXD’s were $40k more than just the non “P” model, but on resale the P’s are maybe $10k higher. So the depreciation on the P models as a % is much higher than the base models.

And, lesson learned, I’m going for a MSLR to avoid eating that additional $40k. The fact it’s faster than my P85D also means I won’t notice what I’m missing. The 0-60 drags tend to lose their luster after the first three months anyway.

I'll agree here. If there is going to be a bigger hit, it's definitely to the expensive models, like with other OEMs. Agreed, would also not consider the plaid and probably not the plaid+ unless it just has some game changing features. I don't race my cars so the .7 seconds or whatever to 60 are meaningless to me.

I'll agree here. If there is going to be a bigger hit, it's definitely to the expensive models, like with other OEMs. Agreed, would also not consider the plaid and probably not the plaid+ unless it just has some game changing features. I don't race my cars so the .7 seconds or whatever to 60 are meaningless to me.
And another point that needs to be made is there was transformational tech upgrades with massive price cuts compared to the original MS’s which were a big negative to resale. The refreshed cars, particularly the MSLR, should fare better since that can’t happen again. Then again, what will offerings from all the new players do? If Porsche, Lucid or Rivan hit it out of the park with one of their new offerings that could be a negative. And, you know, if they can actually deliver on schedule and keep customers informed during the process, that might help their sales too. 🙄

And another point that needs to be made is there was transformational tech upgrades with massive price cuts compared to the original MS’s which were a big negative to resale. The refreshed cars, particularly the MSLR, should fare better since that can’t happen again. Then again, what will offerings from all the new players do? If Porsche, Lucid or Rivan hit it out of the park with one of their new offerings that could be a negative. And, you know, if they can actually deliver on schedule and keep customers informed during the process, that might help their sales too. 🙄

Big IFs. Lucid and rivian already delayed their cars once. Perhaps Rivian might be about to do it again (word on the street).

So we will see but not clear cut. And then they have to figure out charging infastructure and service. This is going to take them years. No one is going to come close for a very long time.

Regardless of resale value, I am anxiously looking forward to my S delivery. Never owned an EV. My new wall charger has a green light lit on it waiting to be used.
I test drove the pre refresh S and thought it was great. But what really convinced me to buy a Tesla was speaking with Tesla owners that live near me. Every one of them loved their Tesla even if it did need some service to make things right.
Now waiting and waiting since my December order.
Would someone please let me know when I can expect delivery? Thanks in advance, Baimo

Regardless of resale value, I am anxiously looking forward to my S delivery. Never owned an EV. My new wall charger has a green light lit on it waiting to be used.
I test drove the pre refresh S and thought it was great. But what really convinced me to buy a Tesla was speaking with Tesla owners that live near me. Every one of them loved their Tesla even if it did need some service to make things right.
Now waiting and waiting since my December order.
Would someone please let me know when I can expect delivery? Thanks in advance, Baimo
Congrats on your new purchase, whenever it gets delivered. Which literally no one has any idea when that will happen.

My first Tesla was a 2015 P85D that was probably the fastest car 0-60 available at the time. Ended up parking my 2014 Corvette when I bought it. Nothing, absolutely nothing, can prepare you for what your new car is capable of, unless you’ve already driven one. And never having to fill it up at a gas station and the dirt cheap operating costs will keep you driving EVs from point of delivery forever.