Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yeah. I’m done with Tesla. It is clear they are run by a liar and fraud. I’m not buying into this house of cards. And if they don’t give my $100 back, I will sue them for fraud and get discovery into why Elon Musk said in late January the car was in production and would be delivered in February. I can find out if he was truly so incompetent that he didn't realize that there was an imminent “parts shortage“ that made his statement false.
Stop forward one step in the MS line folks. 😄

@GrnSqrl I hear you - I'm driving a god forsaken Prius (the small one at that!). However, I'm not going to hold it against Tesla to delivery the expensive, marketing, hot new item first. If that means a few more weeks of a wait for me, no problem. I would do the same thing.

But based on @gabeincal's videos, they are already producing LR versions as well, and it seems in large supply.

Put it this way: If I can order today and get a Plaid next month or a LR in Sept/Oct, just means demand for LR is probably 4-5x Plaid. I assume also that's why they cut sales off from the Plaid+...I still dont know why anyone would buy a Plaid. I'd definitely just get the Plaid+ and wait, as it will be a far superior car with new battery tech, or go with the cheapo car, the LR.

yeah. I’m done with Tesla. It is clear they are run by a liar and fraud. I’m not buying into this house of cards. And if they don’t give my $100 back, I will sue them for fraud and get discovery into why Elon Musk said in late January the car was in production and would be delivered in February. I can find out if he was truly so incompetent that he didn't realize that there was an imminent “parts shortage“ that made his statement false.
Can you be any more ridiculous?

See my later post. It would make no sense until you think about it. They can save the last deliveries each quarter for CA, since they can be shipped and delivered in a day or two. East Coast or international? At least a few weeks to a few months. So those July and August cars could be going a long way for deliveries. My last Model S was delivered March 28 2015. As long as I was willing to pick it up at the factory. It’s beginning to make sense to me now.

I hope I’m wrong but as I’ve said before, whenever I think I’m being too cynical, Tesla shows me I’m not cynical enough.
Yes, I agree you sound cynical. It's not like they are halting production for the "off months" (oh wait, with the exception of December until now!). The logistics for delivery may indeed prioritize some locations over others (as indicated on the website regarding delivery priority). But it's not like deliveries only happen 4 months out of the year. It might only seem that way because there is always an end of the quarter push (assuming there are cars to push!).

I still dont know why anyone would buy a Plaid. I'd definitely just get the Plaid+ and wait, as it will be a far superior car with new battery tech, or go with the cheapo car, the LR.

I was of the same mindset when I ordered in January. But a couple of days ago switched from LR to Plaid, you know, because YOLO.

res.png

2 things, Here's my updated order page, and I need aftermarket 20"s badly.

@GrnSqrl I hear you - I'm driving a god forsaken Prius (the small one at that!). However, I'm not going to hold it against Tesla to delivery the expensive, marketing, hot new item first. If that means a few more weeks of a wait for me, no problem. I would do the same thing.

But based on @gabeincal's videos, they are already producing LR versions as well, and it seems in large supply.

Put it this way: If I can order today and get a Plaid next month or a LR in Sept/Oct, just means demand for LR is probably 4-5x Plaid. I assume also that's why they cut sales off from the Plaid+...I still dont know why anyone would buy a Plaid. I'd definitely just get the Plaid+ and wait, as it will be a far superior car with new battery tech, or go with the cheapo car, the LR.
Yes, assuming we can extrapolate from the 142 or so orders in the spreadsheet as a representative sampling, 83% are LR and only 15% Plaid (remainder Plaid++). Those of us who are a bit more optimistic think they will easily fulfill the Plaid orders quickly (perhaps even by end of June). Doesn't make sense that they would hold off LR until September. Demand just does not appear to be that high for the Plaid (at least relative to LR).

Yeah again, I will remind people of my previous (non-Tesla) EV ordering and delivery experience in 2018 (not saying the car since I’ll never hear the end of it from some on here, lol).

Anyhow, I ordered that EV in March, 2018 and took delivery after my vehicle build was completed, put on a cargo ship from Europe and delivered to me on 12/1/18. So I waited about 9 months from initial order to delivery of the vehicle. However, there were no changing dates or anyone saying the vehicle was “in production” when in reality, it was not. It just arrived when it arrived. That was it but it was a long wait.

The wait for this Tesla MS Plaid is going to be 6 months or less although I agree the Tesla way is completely haphazard, unprofessional, and irresponsible. They can be quite misleading and they really should change the way they do business in regards to the ordering/delivery process, customer service and communication.

Last edited:
Yes, assuming we can extrapolate from the 142 or so orders in the spreadsheet as a representative sampling, 83% are LR and only 15% Plaid (remainder Plaid++). Those of us who are a bit more optimistic think they will easily fulfill the Plaid orders quickly (perhaps even by end of June). Doesn't make sense that they would hold off LR until September. Demand just does not appear to be that high for the Plaid (at least relative to LR).
Any chance that the low Plaid demand (if true) is the reason they are holding off on delivering LR until after 6/3 event…to generate more demand for Plaid before LR genie is out of bottle?

I really hope that FILO does not happen, but it could to some extent. Here is a possible reasonable scenario.

Production did start a while back, but they found problem(s) after a bunch of the first cars were built. They fixed the problem before later cars were built (Plaids?) But now the early cars have to be reworked with new parts or software patches or both.

Of course, they could give the newer cars to the early orders, that would be the right thing to do. But it might have been easier to just push out the newer, fixed cars to the more recent orders, knowing that the early orders are less likely to cancel for fear of loosing their place in line. Although, that ploy did not work on me!

It could be that they had no choice, because the early cars can't be fixed before EOQ. So the only way Tesla would not miss expectations is to push out as many of the newer cars as they can.

^^^100% speculation as usual

It seems like June is focused on Plaid and August is the parking lot for LR. I think July can go either way--if they clear out the Plaid backlog fast enough, they can start pulling LRs into July. Most of the Plaids are now in June on the spreadsheet, although there is at least one in Aug and a couple without dates that will get cleaned-up in the next couple of weeks. LRs seem like they are all over the place which could mean they have not started thinking about (and cleaning up) LR dates or that "Plaids get priority" does not mean "we'll exclusively deliver Plaids" and we'll see a trickle of LRs starting in June too.

Reactions: mikes_fsd
Any chance that the low Plaid demand (if true) is the reason they are holding off on delivering LR until after 6/3 event…to generate more demand for Plaid before LR genie is out of bottle?
Frankly, I don't think the event will generate THAT much more demand in the immediate term. The price points are quite different and have different target audience. Would be interesting to know the actual number of total orders though. While the Plaid may be more profitable on a per car basis, the expected volumes for LR on a scale of 4:1 means it could even be more profitable (or at least equally so). Also, reported delivery counts appear to be a more significant metric for shareholders than profit margins at this point (look at the M3/MY!). Given that TESLA marketing sucks, it is unlikely that one event will drum up that much more business for Plaid. The enthusiasts already have their orders in!

It seems like June is focused on Plaid and August is the parking lot for LR. I think July can go either way--if they clear out the Plaid backlog fast enough, they can start pulling LRs into July. Most of the Plaids are now in June on the spreadsheet, although there is at least one in Aug and a couple without dates that will get cleaned-up in the next couple of weeks. LRs seem like they are all over the place which could mean they have not started thinking about (and cleaning up) LR dates or that "Plaids get priority" does not mean "we'll exclusively deliver Plaids" and we'll see a trickle of LRs starting in June too.
Not sure about the speculation and what’s been reported about getting as many MS Plaids delivered in June as they can; unless something changes soon, I would say what a few others have said…that is the super early pre-refresh announcement, Tesla employees, and VIPs May get their MS Plaids in June but most will have to wait until July or August.

My account is back up like others but no change to my estimated delivery: August! 😒 Again…I ordered 2/5/21.

I agree. I don't think it means "exclusively deliver Plaids". When the real data is in, it will be interesting to see who's speculation was most accurate!

I'm able to get to my account page that has no graphics and the price is down $2K which is the discount that was offered to me upon accepting the refresh. Ordered Jan 28th RN1144. Blue/Black LR with Arachnids. Anyone else seeing that? Delivery says "July" now, previously "-" for the last week or so. The games continue.
The new Arachnid wheels are not the same as the original lightweight forged wheels... the new model is a different design and is cast, not forged. ;)

1621911652192.png