Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The SA said that it makes sense to prioritize the Plaid because Tesla is a business and will always go with the trims that generate the higher margins.
Sure, if you have a smoothly functioning business where you are efficiently turning raw materials into finished goods which are being snapped up by consumer, yeah, prioritize the high margin stuff. That is not what is happening here. All those Ses we see at Fremont are sitting on the books as either inventory or work in progress where Tesla has incurred most if not all of the material and labor costs and not recognized any of the revenue. Typically, the priority would be to get that inventory off the books ASAP.

But that’s just it. What buzz is needed? Q2 allotments sold out 5 weeks into the quarter. Seems to me they’d want to deliver at least some of each model. Plus, they’re gonna make people who’ve been waiting since Christmas wait for orders placed in May? Tesla customer service sucks, but that’s practically criminal.
IMO, Tesla is feeling some pressure from the competition and needs to make a statement. The "sold out" statement was for the 3/Y as there was not S/X production to sell out.

Delivery time frame is based on order date, profile submission, delivery location and vehicle configuration.

To translate - that means Tesla will deliver your car whenever they have one available in your geographic location that matches your configuration and will optimize their end of quarter numbers. Tesla will gladly sell you a Plaid purchased today and deliver it before a LR purchased last October because that will improve quarterly profit margins.
If they wanted to sell the Plaid so badly, they should have touted some extra features in the interior beyond carbon fiber, which some people don’t even view as a plus.

• Disagree
Reactions: lbowroom
Sure, if you have a smoothly functioning business where you are efficiently turning raw materials into finished goods which are being snapped up by consumer, yeah, prioritize the high margin stuff. That is not what is happening here. All those Ses we see at Fremont are sitting on the books as either inventory or work in progress where Tesla has incurred most if not all of the material and labor costs and not recognized any of the revenue. Typically, the priority would be to get that inventory off the books ASAP.

IMO, Tesla is feeling some pressure from the competition and needs to make a statement. The "sold out" statement was for the 3/Y as there was not S/X production to sell out.
Ok all that said, didn’t we all see LRs getting loaded on trucks and driven out of logistics? And yes I’m really asking. That’s what everyone says those videos showed. Right?

Edit: And by the way, they’re gonna feel a lot more pressure from the competition if they alienate way more than half their Model S customers.

If they wanted to sell the Plaid so badly, they should have touted some extra features in the interior beyond carbon fiber, which some people don’t even view as a plus.
How about a 3rd motor for another 220+ HP/TQ on top of what the LR has? That’s a nice extra feature, lol. 😁. Plus, torque vectoring for better handling and carbon sleeved motors for better heat management I believe. Granted, those things may not be worth $30k more for most people but for people like me, it was either the Plaid or just wait for the Lucid Air GT or the MB EQS or whatever EV later this year. But, many of us thought…ahem…that we would have our refresh MS in our driveways in March. 🙄

Just remember since 2021 everything Elon has said was a lie. June 3, 27 days before end of quarter will be nothing more than an effort to calm investors. My prediction is there will be no announcement for the benefit of order holders or any solid information for order holders. This is touted as a delivery day event. No mention of what will happen at this event. Remember in January there were cars in production!
Investors first.
customers last.

As the saying goes, don’t hold your breath.
My order has disappeared for the third time. I wonder if my car got delivered between 2/15 and 3/15 and I didn’t notice yet.

• Funny
Reactions: Leojsayta
I definitely agree with you. Tesla does not do enough to differentiate the Plaid from the LR. If you look at MB, BMW, and Audi you can see massive differences on the appearance of the exterior and interior with AMG, M, and S spec cars respectively. There are a lot of clearly visible items that fundamentally raise the car to another level. Different spoilers, side skirts, wheels, suspension and significantly higher quality interior with sport seats and the highest quality leather. If you compare one of these speciality versions to the standard car it is a night and day difference

The Plaid version is a $40k upgrade for an electric motor, carbon sleeved rotors, a rear spoiler and red brakes. The performance difference is massive, but the differentiation factor is nonexistent. Maybe Tesla will one day have an in-house performance tuning company like AMG or M Motorsports.

Reactions: FlatSix911
If the information from the SA about Plaid deliveries only and LR being pushed till Sept, are all of those cars in Gabeincali Flyovers plaids? I cant tell from above.
Not necessarily. What I’ve been told is California deliveries are quarter end. They ship out of state and perhaps internationally the other eight months. They save CA for last to maximize total deliveries each quarter. About as FUBAR as it could be when it comes to respecting your customers.

• Funny
Out of curiosity for those of you who ordered a long range... if it is true that the plaid is prioritized and the long range won’t be delivered until fourth quarter… are any of you going to cancel? I'm considering getting a model 3 performance if I find out next week that I’m going to have to wait until fall… I'm worried they won’t even confirm or deny that information 🤦🏻‍♂️
Seems to be true and if my car isn’t here by July see ya later Tesla. Forever.

So does this mean they are updating with correct delivery dates?

Dates are coming and going, whatever date is showing on your Tesla Account is a date that Tesla assigned to you. Dates are being changed and modified on a day by day basis. Sometimes we can’t see them because the account page is down. I’m told we’ll know more relatively soon.

Any idea at all about MS Plaid orders from say early Feb that still have an “August” est delivery vs other Plaid orders that came later which have a June or July est delivery? And I’m still not understanding why it’s being reported that many/most of the Plaid deliveries will be done in June while so many of us still show August in our accounts? Crazy. I think a lot I’ll be resolved on 6/3 next week but until then, it’s all madness and chaos.

Dates are changing. From what I was told Plaid is being “prioritized“, but won‘t be for a prolonged period of time. Which means, based on location and configuration (FSD or not (higher margin)), you’ll be prioritized.

Thanks for the update. Much appreciated. Do you have any insight as to whether the 6/1-30 range I had been given on May 14, and was taken away on Saturday, has any credibility? And if it doesn’t, why would it have appeared in the first place?

Those dates were taken away for just about everyone, except for a few. More concrete dates will be posted in the coming days. On or before the June 3rd event.

My guess is we wont see anything even after the June 3rd event. It is purely marketing and to say they “delivered” some cars. Will be going to employees and investors.

That’s absolutely not true. And makes no sense that they only deliver 4 months out of the year.
See my later post. It would make no sense until you think about it. They can save the last deliveries each quarter for CA, since they can be shipped and delivered in a day or two. East Coast or international? At least a few weeks to a few months. So those July and August cars could be going a long way for deliveries. My last Model S was delivered March 28 2015. As long as I was willing to pick it up at the factory. It’s beginning to make sense to me now.

I hope I’m wrong but as I’ve said before, whenever I think I’m being too cynical, Tesla shows me I’m not cynical enough.

• Funny
Seems to be true and if my car isn’t here by July see ya later Tesla. Forever.
yeah. I’m done with Tesla. It is clear they are run by a liar and fraud. I’m not buying into this house of cards. And if they don’t give my $100 back, I will sue them for fraud and get discovery into why Elon Musk said in late January the car was in production and would be delivered in February. I can find out if he was truly so incompetent that he didn't realize that there was an imminent “parts shortage“ that made his statement false.

Is the reservation page back up for anyone? Mine has been broken for almost the entire day except for 5 minutes when it showed “Prepare for Delivery”. I asked my SA and he said if I saw that update then I should start to get excited for a June delivery.
On a separate note, I find it absolutely hilarious that their account page has been throwing up all day because they are making *updates* WTF? Is this 1996? How could this happen in a decoupled architecture? Why would you mess with a OLTP database during peak time? Wouldn’t you sync it from downstream? People seem to make it appear that someone (Neuralink monkey?) out there is punching on keys updating each order against a production live database. Holy Smokes!

The SA said that it makes sense to prioritize the Plaid because Tesla is a business and will always go with the trims that generate the higher margins.
It makes sense until you realize 80-85% of orders are LR and losing large chunks of that order book to make Plaids for instant delivery while LR orders sit and wait for half a year or more is not a good business practice.

It makes sense until you realize 80-85% of orders are LR and losing large chunks of that order book to make Plaids for instant delivery while LR orders sit and wait for half a year or more is not a good business practice.

People are taking "prioritizing plaid" way too extreme, I think. Yes, I'm sure the first group of units going out will be Plaid along with the event, of course. But the fact of the matter is, the LR backlog is huge and multiples of the Plaid backlog. They are going to get those cars out, once the "marketing cars" (those being delivered early to mid June) are out.

People are taking "prioritizing plaid" way too extreme, I think. Yes, I'm sure the first group of units going out will be Plaid along with the event, of course. But the fact of the matter is, the LR backlog is huge and multiples of the Plaid backlog. They are going to get those cars out, once the "marketing cars" (those being delivered early to mid June) are out.
I just wish we had some transparency. I’ve been sharing a car w my 16 yo since January. I can wait for MS and get a beater if I had some idea of when I can expect delivery but would rather not do so if delivery is imminent.