Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not to discourage you, but the cars next to the train tracks look really sad, like they have been there for months. No way to charge them.

I hope they are never going to be sold, but that seems unlikely.

Based on @gabeincal's videos, they've only been there for maybe a week or so. It's just the California dust/smog getting on them, I don't think it has anything to do with build quality or otherwise. I certainly believe those will be a part of the first 100 cars delivered.

That said, @KB498 is probably right, the first few months of cars are going to have some "kinks" to them. However, because of where we are in the year, it's either take delivery in July/August/Sept or wait until next year. You also don't want to take delivery in a Q4 situation, at least, not a late Q4 situation.

Personally, knowing I'm not going to be one of the first 100 (or probably first 3,000). I'll let everyone get their cars, tell us if everything so far is looking good and then move forward with my purchase, probably in July/August if so.

I wish that's a feasible business model considering the amount of research and funding goes into development of FSD.

Currently, FSD is tied to the VIN, similar to OEMs tying OS license to a laptop. If you sell the car, the new owner get FSD. If your car is totaled, bad luck for you. FSD is not transferrable to your new car. If and when Tesla starts subscription model, it'll be use and pay for a specific VIN, probably with no contract. If your statement of tying FSD to profile and use it on any car is definitely not possible... If so, Tesla will still make you pay FSD payments based on no.of cars in your profile... it's not a pool of floating license(s) that you can use on any car.. I don't think Tesla will ever go down that path.
It has no real value if I cannot take it with me. I understand software incompatibility because of design/hardware changes, but not transferring to an identical model because of a total loss claim is just pure greed. A 10k software license should not get damaged in an accident. This would be like not being able to play a game I purchased on my PC, because I bought a new PC.

If my Nintendo switch dies, Nintendo does not charge me again for all the digital games I own. This is why I think it is just corporate greed. Especially since the Tesla owners are paying Tesla for the privilege of doing the ground work of data collection and testing.

Obviously many customers think the value of FSD is worth the rules they live by. Maybe I will think differently once I have my MS, but right now it just seems like the rules are not worth the investment.

Me personally, I wouldn’t purchase FSD now anyway. But why are you assuming your car needs a month of service for hardware and software modifications? Am I being trolled or do you just like to make up stuff to complain about?
The extended service stay complaints are listed here in multiple places. If Tesla service great there are a lot of Kiera out there.

SO true. Any loan on the car would require a VIN to be attached to it for the proceeds to be disbursed. The process of Bank here is my VIN to here is your check can "hardly" happen that quickly
Except when you roll into a dealership and drive out with a car and loan the same day. How is that possible?

I wish that's a feasible business model considering the amount of research and funding goes into development of FSD.

Currently, FSD is tied to the VIN, similar to OEMs tying OS license to a laptop. If you sell the car, the new owner get FSD. If your car is totaled, bad luck for you. FSD is not transferrable to your new car. If and when Tesla starts subscription model, it'll be use and pay for a specific VIN, probably with no contract. If your statement of tying FSD to profile and use it on any car is definitely not possible... If so, Tesla will still make you pay FSD payments based on no.of cars in your profile... it's not a pool of floating license(s) that you can use on any car.. I don't think Tesla will ever go down that path.
That analogy doesn’t make any sense. One doesn’t need to carry their OS to a new machine. It is more like if Apple or Google doesn’t allow you to download and install your previously purchased apps on your new shiny iPhone or Pixel but instead requires you to pay for them all over again. FSD is more like an app than a OS. Imagine paying $10K for an app and being told that you only have two choices - Keep your phone for the next 10-15 years so that you can enjoy using your expensive app and suffer with a slow processor that would totally suck your life when new OS’ are released or spit out $10K every time you wish to upgrade to a new phone.

Last edited: