Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I actually prefer the instant torque when driving 30-50mph; it's awesome. Probably smart to keep some Pepto in the car for nausea.
This. 0-60 is nice, but for me the benefit is when passing or getting out of sticky situations like someone blindly merging into your lane

If you have FSD on your car, it's transferable to the next owner of the car in the event the car is sold. It is not transferrable to another car you are buying.
FSD is transferrable with the car if it is sold via private transaction. If it goes through a dealer, Tesla has been stripping the FSD out--this causes all sorts of confusion and muddies trade-in pricing. You cannot take it with you if you purchase a new Tesla.

I posted this weeks ago. I was laughed at.
You continue to be under appreciated on this thread :)

So, what I’m hearing is the autopilot functionality on a 2021 Model S will be the exact same as what my daughter’s 2019 Honda Civic has as standard equipment unless I pay up for EAP or FSD. Well isn’t that special on an $80,000 car. The story just gets better and better...
I think there is a qualitative aspect to driver-assist, its not a commodity check box item where all implementations are essentially equivalent

If my Nintendo switch dies, Nintendo does not charge me again for all the digital games I own. This is why I think it is just corporate greed. Especially since the Tesla owners are paying Tesla for the privilege of doing the ground work of data collection and testing.
I guess it depends on if you view FSD as an "app" or part of the operating system. In your example, Nintendo does charge you for a new license for their OS (it's hidden in the cost of the Switch) the same way you implicitly pay for a new Android or iOS license when you buy a new smartphone. What folks are asking for, a perpetual, transferrable license, would be priced even higher than it currently is. Software licensing is well understood science and there is some reasonable middle ground, if Tesla decides to take a different approach.

Reactions: T-Racer and Drew-MS
That analogy doesn’t make any sense. One doesn’t need to carry their OS to a new machine. It is more like if Apple or Google doesn’t allow you to download and install your previously purchased apps on your new shiny iPhone or Pixel but instead requires you to pay for them all over again. FSD is more like an app than a OS. Imagine paying $10K for an app and being told that you only have two choices - Keep your phone for the next 10-15 years so that you can enjoy using your expensive app and suffer with a slow processor that would totally suck your life when new OS’ are released or spit out $10K every time you wish to upgrade to a new phone.
Oh and it’s rumoured to be $14K soon. Good times! This business model sucks for customers and is so downright filthy.

Reactions: dlfjed
Oh and it’s rumoured to be $14K soon. Good times! This business model sucks for customers and is so downright filthy.
I don't understand their business model. If the trade in information posted earlier is accurate, EAP is more valuable than FSD. To me that makes sense. I am willing to buy EAP. I am not willing to buy an unfinished version of FSD. At $10,000 for the entire package, I am not an interested buyer. At $4,000 or less for EAP only, I am an interested buyer. They must have realized that pricing EAP + FSD together at $10,000 brought in fewer total sales than selling them separately. The total FSD sales will go down a little when they split, but total income will still go up due to people like me who are unwilling to spend a premium for an unfinished product. After all, many of us will sell the car to upgrade well before FSD is completed.

This. 0-60 is nice, but for me the benefit is when passing or getting out of sticky situations like someone blindly merging into your lane

FSD is transferrable with the car if it is sold via private transaction. If it goes through a dealer, Tesla has been stripping the FSD out--this causes all sorts of confusion and muddies trade-in pricing. You cannot take it with you if you purchase a new Tesla.

You continue to be under appreciated on this thread :)

I think there is a qualitative aspect to driver-assist, its not a commodity check box item where all implementations are essentially equivalent

I guess it depends on if you view FSD as an "app" or part of the operating system. In your example, Nintendo does charge you for a new license for their OS (it's hidden in the cost of the Switch) the same way you implicitly pay for a new Android or iOS license when you buy a new smartphone. What folks are asking for, a perpetual, transferrable license, would be priced even higher than it currently is. Software licensing is well understood science and there is some reasonable middle ground, if Tesla decides to take a different approach.
FSD stays with the car, unless the car is traded back to Tesla. Tesla has been known to remove FSD in the cars they auction to used Tesla dealers.

Reactions: T-Racer
Anyone else confused about what's going on with AutoPilot? Frankly, I'm happy to have redundant hardware for radar installed, even if in time it's disabled. What I'm puzzled by is that it wasn't that long ago that those involved with development of AP indicated that Musk was off the mark in terms of how soon FSD would be truly viable for Level 4 or 5. Has something significant changed or is this as I suspect a touch bit of overselling Vision?

Reactions: HumanInput
And then there is the Microsoft Windows license model. They have low cost OEM versions tied to the system board that can not be transferred. They also have a higher priced retail version that you can transfer to a new machine.

FSD stays with the car, unless the car is traded back to Tesla. Tesla has been known to remove FSD in the cars they auction to used Tesla dealers.

I think Tesla does a lot of scummy things, but I don't see any problem with what they do with FSD. Their website makes clear that it doesn't actually exist. You can look on Youtube to see videos establishing that the Beta version is useless. If folks want to pay $10k for the chance that FSD might one day be useful because they are true Elon believers, that is their right.

The complaints that you have to buy it again when you buy a new car don't have merit. Tesla could have just raised the price of the car $10k and given everyone FSD "privileges." Nobody, in that case, would complain that they should get a discount when they buy a new car. It would be like arguing to Apple that I should get a discount on my next iPhone because I already bought iTunes. Instead, Tesla did everyone a favor by making a useless feature optional.

The complaints that you have to buy it again when you buy a new car don't have merit. Tesla could have just raised the price of the car $10k and gave everyone FSD "privileges." Nobody, in that case, would complain that they should get a discount when they buy a new car. It would be like arguing to Apple that I should get a discount on my next iPhone because I already bought iTunes.
That is a valid point. But what if Apple charged you $100 to access iTunes and your phone broke. Would it be fair to pay $100 to access it again?

Anyone else confused about what's going on with AutoPilot? Frankly, I'm happy to have redundant hardware for radar installed, even if in time it's disabled. What I'm puzzled by is that it wasn't that long ago that those involved with development of AP indicated that Musk was off the mark in terms of how soon FSD would be truly viable for Level 4 or 5. Has something significant changed or is this as I suspect a touch bit of overselling Vision?
A little but I’m more confused about the new plaid orders with ‘June’ estimated delivery while many existing plaid orders from 2-3 months ago are ‘August.’

Final Yoke feels / works amazing!!! LR also gets metal pedals.

944AE8BD-4A49-4689-80D5-4687CDC29555_4_5005_c.jpeg

The complaints that you have to buy it again when you buy a new car don't have merit. It would be like arguing to Apple that I should get a discount on my next iPhone because I already bought iTunes. Instead, Tesla did everyone a favor by making a useless feature optional.
This is not really a valid comparison. Apple doesn't charge for iTunes, so you obviously can't get a discount on a future phone purchase for a software feature you never paid for. That would be like asking for a discount on your future Tesla because your current Tesla has the Netflix app.

I believe the valid comparison is an expensive App that you pay for or a software program for your computer. In either case, if my phone or computer gets stolen or damaged, I don't need to buy the software again. I just reinstall the software I already paid for.

How can a software license get damaged in an accident? This is inexplicable! The license should be reinstated for a total loss accident.

Last edited:
Reactions: HumanInput