Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This passed committee
If as written passes eventually you can get $10k tax credit on a MS LR with less than $5k extras at time of purchase

“The EV proposal led by Senator Debbie Stabenow, a Michigan Democrat, would boost the $7,500 tax credit by $2,500 for vehicles assembled in the United States and another $2,500 for cars at facilities whose production workers are members of, or represented by, a labor union.
That would mean smaller credits to automakers such as Tesla, Volkswagen and others who do not have U.S. union workers, and companies building EVs outside the United States.”
Am I correct to assume that it would literally have to be the very base model S to apply. Even a color change would exclude it from the credit though due to the $80,000 cap?

Am I correct to assume that it would literally have to be the very base model S to apply. Even a color change would exclude it from the credit though due to the $80,000 cap?
I would gladly change my car color back to white for $10k. We’d just have to make sure the cap doesn’t include destination, order fee, etc.

The problem is that you’ll be waiting longer than What you already have for it to pass (if ever)
That’s the issue. Gov’t moves slow and I have no idea what their timeline may be. They could also lower the threshold during the process.

White cars show more dirt, but that’s just an excuse for me to spend more QT with my Tesla.

Yes, and you can’t purchase the new car until 2022. (As the bill is written at this point)

Vehicle price limitation
In addition, the Chairman’s modification requires that a new qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle purchased by the taxpayer has a manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP) of $80,000 or less. That is, the credit amount is reduced to $0 if the MSRP for the vehicle is more than $80,000.

The changes to credit amounts are effective for vehicles acquired after December 31, 2021.

Senate Finance Committee

What a random ass number. $80k. I wonder what company lobbied to get that? Also why should foreign manufactured cars get any tax payer money? Make foreign automakers and our "American" companies invest in EV plants here like VW is doing.

These people are clowns. Not surprised that are completely inept, expected nothing less.

Last edited:
boost the $7,500 tax credit by $2,500 for vehicles assembled in the United States and another $2,500 for cars at facilities whose production workers are members of, or represented by, a labor union.
What the hell does Unions have to do with anything. So great. A car produced almost fully in the US gets less credit then a car built by some union where almost all the parts were manufactured in Mexico and just assembled here. What a joke of a standard.

Add me on to the "me, too" list here. Briefly: Although I am a MX owner/reservation holder, I periodically post here cause you guys are way more fun than the MX thread. I got caught in some Elon crossfire when I sold my MX in January, expecting a new one a few months later. I grew very tired of Elon's whims and Tesla's non-existent communication. To hedge, I put a deposit on a Rivian R1S a few months ago. Meanwhile, my bet looked good, as the MX delivery timelines got pushed WAY back - end of this year/early next year. Easy decision: I'd get into a much cheaper EV SUV around the same time as a much more expensive MX with bells and whistles I don't even want. Like everyone else here, I obsessively check my order status hourly, check forums, etc. for months. Despite ordering pre-refresh and updating right after, my delivery date never had an actual date. It was an exciting day when I went from blank to "-". I reached my tipping point and officially canceled my MX order a month or so ago.

During my painful breakup with Tesla (been with them since 2012), I began looking at other EV options. While there are lots of exciting things coming out and some decent already available options, I keep coming to the conclusion that Tesla has the best offerings in terms of range and power per dollar (example: you can get close to Tesla with Porsche options, but for way more money).

Sooo, on a whim, after hearing about Elon's big "announcement" next week, I decided to see what happens if I put an order on a MS. I quickly filled out the order information and ordered an MS Plaid without FSD. I was shocked to see my delivery date as "June". We all know way too clearly to not place too much hope in anything Tesla, your local SA or anything the website says, but this really surprised me. I went from zero information on the MX order for months to potentially taking delivery in a matter of weeks.

Many have commented on Tesla prioritizing high margin vehicles. This is absolutely true. They have done it from the very beginning. In 2011 or 2012, I ordered my first MS, got cold feet and cancelled. I changed my mind again and put a new order in. I called Tesla (back then, you could get people on the phone), and they told me I was now in the back of the line - unless I was willing to commit to the same car I previously reserved, which was at the time, their most expensive option. I agreed to it and got pushed to the front of the line.

My sense is they need the capital influx to drive the R&D and production ramp up cost of the lower margin/higher volume cars. I think the whole company is built on this concept. I also suspect that the various causes for the production delays are still an issue, so they decided to focus on one vehicle. It's probably all they can manage to produce right now with supply chain issues, etc, and the cost of this vehicle will boost Q2 profits better than less expensive vehicles.

In any case, it's good to be back here after weeks of not visiting! And, it's good to officially be a member of the MS Misery club!

Last edited:
When they say there will be a $80k MSRP limit for the new proposed EV Tax Credit, is that on the base price (LR = 79,900) or with options? Which is a bummer.

I mean we are also talking about a 2022 year bought car. But personally, I'd just wait, get white with a black interior and take the $10k. Gives them time to work out the kinks.

However, this is the inept government of the USA we are talking about here. What are even the chances this gets though before 12 months from now?

Reactions: JimLL
What if you have the 2k discount..wonder if that applies..if so i miiiight be able to get it with my LR in MSM