Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I mean we are also talking about a 2022 year bought car. But personally, I'd just wait, get white with a black interior and take the $10k. Gives them time to work out the kinks.

However, this is the inept government of the USA we are talking about here. What are even the chances this gets though before 12 months from now?
Problem is even if you did wait until 2022 to get your base MS, what are the odds the price won’t increase above $80k by then?

Reactions: josahua and T-Racer
Was to re-apply twice after credit expired 2 times.

Don't do it.

Wait until you get a VIN.

Ridiculous.

Updated twice as well. Value dropped $1,000.

Nope. Edit: (To the possibility of initial Plaid orders shipping with 4680)
I’m going to have to cancel my order. I’m in the process of purchasing a new home and I can not have my credit score affected by a second hard pull.

Problem is even if you did wait until 2022 to get your base MS, what are the odds the price won’t increase above $80k by then?

I'm not actually entertaining waiting just to be clear. I want the white interior and so I'd be screwed anyway. My comment was just tongue in cheek. But, to answer your question, don't think Tesla would raise the price just so people could get the rebate. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they lowered it assuming the economics still worked.

But, to answer your question, don't think Tesla would raise the price just so people could get the rebate. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they lowered it assuming the economics still worked.
I agree and there is evidence of them doing this in areas with EV credits that have price caps. If you look at Canadian pricing, Tesla has modified pricing on their cars or come out with specific versions just so their customers could be eligible for the EV rebates. Tesla actually sells a Model 3 in Canada that only has 94 miles of range in order to get the price below the EV credit threshold.

94 mile Model 3 eligible for EV credit

I can envision Tesla keeping the Model S below $80k by not charging for paint or interior color changes. This would enable Tesla to increase volume on the Model S by selling their vehicle to a much larger audience.

Last edited:
RE: the proposed federal tax credit limit of $80k, it would be very easy for Tesla to adjust pricing to allow customers to take advantage of it.

For example, lower the base price to $78k and make the basic AP a $2k option that can be purchased after delivery.

They’ve done it in other markets so there’s no reason they wouldn’t be able to do it in the US.

Edit: @EVonly beat me to it - we’re basically saying the same thing :)

I agree and there is evidence of them doing this in areas with EV credits that have price caps. If you look at Canadian pricing, Tesla has modified pricing on their cars or come out with specific versions just so their customers could be eligible for the EV rebates. Tesla actually sells a Model 3 in Canada that only has 94 miles of range in order to get the price below the EV credit threshold.

94 mile Model 3 eligible for EV credit

I can envision Tesla keeping the Model S below $80k by not charging for paint or interior color changes. This would enable Tesla to increase volume on the Model S by selling their vehicle to a much larger audience.
True, but in our case (Canada) they just had to meet a lower level MSRP requirement that had an upper cap. They then made the base model unfathomable to actually own based on actual value/range. In this case it might not be as easy, they might just have to eat the difference.

I suspect we will see the re-introduction of the standard range models for the US market.

So the way I read this the manufacture cap is gone in May 24 2021 so Tesla EVs would qualify for the 7500 again ?? In 2021 yet..
View attachment 666756

the “2 and 3 wheeled” ?? Bikes and reliant robins ??
It seems like cars purchased after May 24, 2021 will get the $7.5K credit.

What is strange is "the portions of the proposal making the EV credit a refundable personal income along with the VIN requirements are effective for vehicles acquired after December 31, 2021". What exactly are those portions?

S
It's good to set goals so let's hit our goal of 1600 by this Sunday. We need to refresh our sense of purpose here.
Stretch goal 1642...

But on a more important note, does anyone have any idea how this delivery would work? I mean, won't they give the new owners 48 hrs notice? Won't that entail VINs? Even cash buyers have to get insurance set up...

Reactions: Ribeyesteak