Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the government - what they do does not make sense so you can stop using a logic test. I am not going to decide a car in this price range based on the possibility of a tax credit or not. Do not get me wrong - $10k is a lot of money - but I am not going to change what I truly want on the chance the government might act on this one. Also, that $80k may change up or down and the parameters may change as well. Most importantly, I will not voluntarily wait until 2022 to buy the car.

This is the government - what they do does not make sense so you can stop using a logic test. I am not going to decide a car in this price range based on the possibility of a tax credit or not. Do not get me wrong - $10k is a lot of money - but I am not going to change what I truly want on the chance the government might act on this one. Also, that $80k may change up or down and the parameters may change as well. Most importantly, I will not voluntarily wait until 2022 to buy the car.

Consider also according to the order agreement you only have 3 months to take delivery from when they first notify you (lol) otherwise Tesla can cancel your order. Agree it makes no sense and it seems geared to favor other (non-Tesla) car companies who need more time to fix supply chain issues.

Add me on to the "me, too" list here. Briefly: Although I am a MX owner/reservation holder, I periodically post here cause you guys are way more fun than the MX thread. I got caught in some Elon crossfire when I sold my MX in January, expecting a new one a few months later. I grew very tired of Elon's whims and Tesla's non-existent communication. To hedge, I put a deposit on a Rivian R1S a few months ago. Meanwhile, my bet looked good, as the MX delivery timelines got pushed WAY back - end of this year/early next year. Easy decision: I'd get into a much cheaper EV SUV around the same time as a much more expensive MX with bells and whistles I don't even want. Like everyone else here, I obsessively check my order status hourly, check forums, etc. for months. Despite ordering pre-refresh and updating right after, my delivery date never had an actual date. It was an exciting day when I went from blank to "-". I reached my tipping point and officially canceled my MX order a month or so ago.

During my painful breakup with Tesla (been with them since 2012), I began looking at other EV options. While there are lots of exciting things coming out and some decent already available options, I keep coming to the conclusion that Tesla has the best offerings in terms of range and power per dollar (example: you can get close to Tesla with Porsche options, but for way more money).

Sooo, on a whim, after hearing about Elon's big "announcement" next week, I decided to see what happens if I put an order on a MS. I quickly filled out the order information and ordered an MS Plaid without FSD. I was shocked to see my delivery date as "June". We all know way too clearly to not place too much hope in anything Tesla, your local SA or anything the website says, but this really surprised me. I went from zero information on the MX order for months to potentially taking delivery in a matter of weeks.

Many have commented on Tesla prioritizing high margin vehicles. This is absolutely true. They have done it from the very beginning. In 2011 or 2012, I ordered my first MS, got cold feet and cancelled. I changed my mind again and put a new order in. I called Tesla (back then, you could get people on the phone), and they told me I was now in the back of the line - unless I was willing to commit to the same car I previously reserved, which was at the time, their most expensive option. I agreed to it and got pushed to the front of the line.

My sense is they need the capital influx to drive the R&D and production ramp up cost of the lower margin/higher volume cars. I think the whole company is built on this concept. I also suspect that the various causes for the production delays are still an issue, so they decided to focus on one vehicle. It's probably all they can manage to produce right now with supply chain issues, etc, and the cost of this vehicle will boost Q2 profits better than less expensive vehicles.

In any case, it's good to be back here after weeks of not visiting! And, it's good to officially be a member of the MS Misery club!

“Briefly”?! :p

So in the latest drone flyover, it seems that most of the MS vehicles lined up are actually LR models (which is strange in itself since they’re supposed to be delivering more Plaids than LR in June???) and again, very few white MS vehicles. I still don’t understand this with the white unless for some reason, white is now the least popular color?

Anyhow, as the days in May are about to end and we are all anticipating the 6/3/21 delivery event, I’m all but certain my account holding steady at August could be accurate and again, at best, my MS delivery could be bumped up to July. So strange since I ordered on 2/5/21 and haven’t changed anything on my order and I have no trade-in, no loan paperwork and I actually ordered the FSD; the vehicle would be one of Tesla’s top profit cars. So why not put mine and others like mine as priority deliveries in June? 🤔😏

Last edited:
White cars show more dirt, but that’s just an excuse for me to spend more QT with my Tesla.
It really depends on where you live. If you live in an area that salts their roads for half the year, white looks awesome, and every other color looks like complete trash. Like a margarita glass with a salt rim.

I mean we are also talking about a 2022 year bought car. But personally, I'd just wait, get white with a black interior and take the $10k. Gives them time to work out the kinks.

However, this is the inept government of the USA we are talking about here. What are even the chances this gets though before 12 months from now?

Yeah a lot of variables, plus nothing has been finalized. But if my car delivery date is actually Aug+, I would wait for a 22. Probably regardless of the tax credit. I set my personal cut off for the end of July or I pull my vin when I get one and repeat until early 22 model.

Reactions: Tigers
What the hell does Unions have to do with anything. So great. A car produced almost fully in the US gets less credit then a car built by some union where almost all the parts were manufactured in Mexico and just assembled here. What a joke of a standard.
That union clause will be undoing of this bill, that is if it ever gets passed. It sure will get challenged in courts. What’s next, only brown/black people qualify? That’s unconstitutional.
PS: I’m a humble brown immigrant 🙂

So the way I read this the manufacture cap is gone in May 24 2021 so Tesla EVs would qualify for the 7500 again ?? In 2021 yet..
1622122549614.png

the “2 and 3 wheeled” ?? Bikes and reliant robins ??

Reactions: petergy
When they say there will be a $80k MSRP limit for the new proposed EV Tax Credit, is that on the base price (LR = 79,900) or with options? Which is a bummer.
Tesla considers destination, documentation, and order fees as part of the car price. Even no options would list your MS purchase price at 81K+.

It does seem like this legislation was written to target Tesla. Which is insanely weird, considering Tesla is more of an American company than Ford or Chevy. Lobbying practices in this country need to end.

Tesla considers destination, documentation, and order fees as part of the car price. Even no options would list your MS purchase price at 81K+.

It does seem like this legislation was written to target Tesla. Which is insanely weird, considering Tesla is more of an American company than Ford or Chevy. Lobbying practices in this country need to end.
I am not sure it is what Tesla considers as part of the car price. It is probably more of what the government considers to be part of MSRP. Ideally they will make it based on BASE MSRP.

What a random ass number. $80k. I wonder what company lobbied to get that? Also why should foreign manufactured cars get any tax payer money? Make foreign automakers and our "American" companies invest in EV plants here like VW is doing.

These people are clowns. Not surprised that are completely inept, expected nothing less.
Tigers and clowns all reside under the same tent. 🐅

Reactions: Leojsayta