Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ya man. If I didn't keep up on TMC I would have been screwed.

I reserved the + on battery day. Was feeling smug as the pricing kept going up and I was $12.5k under the new price structure ($500 for the nonblack interior, $2k for the FSD, and $10k for a recent price bump for a non-existent vehicle).

The other week I declined the offer to move from + to Plaid. Then the Elon tweet stating + was cancelled that same weekend. I was super unhappy, more so about the loss of range than anything else.

Called my Loyalty Advisor and we agreed best thing to do was to cancel the + and order the Plaid, with a $2k discount on the FSD once a VIN was assigned. Next day price went up $10k. Following day (I think this is right timeline), I was at the 'Event'. And relatively happy again. :)

Except. Franz told me directly--no active spoiler, no matrix headlights, no change to current taillights. :(

I think they need to reach out to all + reservation holders and do something decent. Not, 'hey, this car doesn't exist, deal with it and you can get something close for 'only' 9.5k less'. That just plain out sucks.

I think that's the final math. My + was $155,490. Plaid is $135,990. And new pricing is $145,990?
Same boat and I agree. Tesla was unable or unwilling to meet the specs they released in September so the long saga began. At some point they made the decision to pivot entirely away from those specs for model S. At least give those order holders some parity to other long term reservation holders. My issue was slightly amplified by the fact that I took deliveryon a model 3 to hold me over for a year the day before the plaid+ cancellation. It seems that being decent is the bare minimum that should be done.

To lose a 120k sale and a customer for 2k would be a short-sighted move... the Plaid S must be operating with a large margin, even more at 130k.
I think Tesla will look at its order book and figure that of 1,000s of orders for the S, only a small percentage will back out of the purchase if they didn't get the $2K discount. I'd be p***ed off but I'd still buy the car. I learned a lesson in the 90s when Mercedes refreshed its E class for the first time in over a decade - the sales advisor told me that if I didn't want to pay sticker on the car, there were 5 other people in the parking lot who would do so. I left the dealership and bought a 7-series BMW.

They told me I could get priority but I did not want priority. I also assume that would not change the limitations on materials. In other words, you can have priority if you make the right choices.
As a Plaid+ conversion, I was told the same but my priority is about the same as a potato in a fruit salad.

+ converted to Plaid at older pricing. Base car with red as the only option. Still an RN.

How many out there are + to Plaid?
Where did you end up pricing wise?
Any + to Plaids getting a VIN?

The call I got (which I was reminded each and every time was being recorded) came with the pitch "trade your + order for a Plaid June delivery". That seems somewhat suicidal on Tesla's part given we are making promises with a three week window. It is pretty obvious that you knew, or should have known, that this was a disingenuous pitch if you end up missing the June delivery. I'm not saying Tesla is not going to do what they said they would do; I'm only saying they constructed a very tight box to climb into.
I switch to Plaid after cancellation of the Plaid+ the day before the price change. My OLA called me and advised to either cancel or switch that day. Not sure he was giving any heads up but the timing is obvious.

Reactions: HumanInput
I have in writing that they are going to provide me with full self driving “later this year,” but obviously there is zero chance of that. It would be an amusing lawsuit with Tesla arguing (correctly, perhaps) that they aren’t liable because nobody would take what they say seriously.
Honest question: Are you in law school? You seem to bring up lawsuits quite often in your posts.

Anyone get a sinking feeling that LR is gonna be canceled?
Not at all! In fact, whenever the supply constraints ease, I expect LR deliveries to explode. There are entire storage lots of LRs almost ready to go, but being squeezed out due to components not being available.

Here’s the cold, hard truth. For any other $120K+ car, you would get some sort of priority and clarity. For Tesla, you will get it when you get it and you’ll be grateful they sold it to you. Why? Because they can. Period. You can always pay $140k for a Taycan with slower acceleration and less range. Porsche will hold your hand, give you a hug, tell you you’re important and take good care of you. Or…that’s right, there’s no competition.

And to preempt the “but Lucid…” crowd, Lucid hasn’t produced a car. Neither has Rivian. It’s hard. Not defending Tesla, just saying those cars are still vaporware. EQS is nice, but also pricey. And Lucid and EQS appear to suffer from “more screen-itis”. As in, if you need that much screen to control the car, just bring the old school buttons back. The idea is less clutter…

Enjoy the wait. It’s part of the Tesla experience.

Last edited:
Im still wondering what what that lot of MSs were that we saw in flyover prior to even
Most expensive does not mean most profitable. I had someone from Tesla tell me the MC Red is really hard to work with because it is finicky when it goes on.
Based on Gabeincal’s recent flyovers of the holding lots for refresh Model S cars, out of each 100 cars there might be 1 red car and 1 white car and all the rest are black, blue or silver. Wonder if that is based on forecast demand.

Here’s the cold, hard truth. For any other $120K+ car, you would get some sort of priority and clarity. For Tesla, you will get it when you get it and you’ll be grateful they sold it to you. Why? Because they can. Period. You can always pay $140k for a Taycan with slower acceleration and less range. Or…that’s right, there’s no competition.

And to preempt the “but Lucid…” crowd, Lucid hasn’t produced a car. Neither has Rivian. It’s hard. Not defending Tesla, just saying those cars are still vaporware. EQS is nice, but also pricey. And Lucid and EQS appear to suffer from “more screen-itis”. As in, if you need that much screen to control the car, just bring the old school buttons back. The idea is less clutter…

Enjoy the wait. It’s part of the Tesla experience.
Yeah, I mean, I get it, but I kind of wish instead of Teslaquila they made Teslube to take the edge off for those of us that don't drink, but still want it to go easier 😀

Anyone get a sinking feeling that LR is gonna be canceled?

Before you go “no, there’d be outrage” in response… Do you honestly still think they’d care?
Zero chance they cancel the LR. The Plaid is a halo vehicle and has a niche market--its doing what it should, generating buzz and making the LR the reasonable choice.

I'm a new poster to this thread, but not to TMC. I've been lurking here for several months and finally decided to order a Model S LR. Within hours of completing my online order, I received an email from a Tesla "Virtual Order Support Team" member for San Diego, Las Vegas, Hawaii, and Palm Springs. In that "Congratulations on your Model S Order" email, under Scheduling, it said: "We are currently expecting September-October delivery on a first come first serve basis. Once your vehicle is available to be scheduled you will receive a text to self-schedule." Is this standard wording? What does "first come first serve" mean? How about all the hundreds, if not thousands, of people ahead of me in the ordering process? Before I go back to the authors of this email, I thought I'd see what the TMC Model S thinks about this.

Vistan

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Here’s the cold, hard truth. For any other $120K+ car, you would get some sort of priority and clarity.
Only at a dealership, where the cars are already on hand. Folks are saying F150 trucks aren’t even able to be fulfilled after waiting 5 months when they were promised 2 months. Every manufacturer is struggling, so when you buy a build-to-order, this is the unfortunate reality accompanying it.

I’m as frustrated as anyone else, but I can’t say I didn’t know what I was/still am doing.

I'm a new poster to this thread, but not to TMC. I've been lurking here for several months and finally decided to order a Model S LR. Within hours of completing my online order, I received an email from a Tesla "Virtual Order Support Team" member for San Diego, Las Vegas, Hawaii, and Palm Springs. In that "Congratulations on your Model S Order" email, under Scheduling, it said: "We are currently expecting September-October delivery on a first come first serve basis. Once your vehicle is available to be scheduled you will receive a text to self-schedule." Is this standard wording? What does "first come first serve" mean? How about all the hundreds, if not thousands, of people ahead of me in the ordering process? Before I go back to the authors of this email, I thought I'd see what the TMC Model S thinks about this.

Vistan
First come first serve is entirely irrelevant in Teslaland. It means absolutely nothing. Don’t rely on anything Tesla tells you and you will be better prepared to endure this process. Welcome to the painful waiting game!