Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does everyone feel about the 1000 cars each week next quarter statement made at the event? That's 142 cars a day assuming they're working 7 days a week. 6 cars an hour if the factory runs 24 hours a day.

So 1 car every 10 minutes? I don't know.... sounds like a lot if Fremont is the only place pumping these out.
1,000 cars a week is still 50% capacity for the S/X line--assuming they have the order backlog (and that seems safe), still seems like they are fighting some supply chain issue.

Except the colors are like a $1500 or $2500 option vs my white ext / white/cf interior Plaid w/ FSD (and add’l $10k in profit) and yet, I have no date and likely looking at Aug delivery if I’m lucky. 🤔😏
Remember that they schedule production in color batches. Just because you got FSD doesn't mean all or even a large proportion of white orders did. Remember, white is the base color, so the cheapest, least profit cars are all white.

1,000 cars a week is still 50% capacity for the S/X line--assuming they have the order backlog (and that seems safe), still seems like they are fighting some supply chain issue.
Hey @omarsultan, are planning on posting any launch/acceleration videos soon? Or is there not really a spot where you can do that? 🙂

How does everyone feel about the 1000 cars each week next quarter statement made at the event? That's 142 cars a day assuming they're working 7 days a week. 6 cars an hour if the factory runs 24 hours a day.

So 1 car every 10 minutes? I don't know.... sounds like a lot if Fremont is the only place pumping these out.
They actually can make a lot more as @omarsultan said. The issue is they need Elon to sleep on the factory floor to do that and he’s been busy recently with SpaceX…

At this point I would be happy with just a number of backlog orders. "We currently have 2800 Plaid orders and 12,000 LR orders." At least we could make some delivery inferences from there.

Hey @omarsultan, are planning on posting any launch/acceleration videos soon? Or is there not really a spot where you can do that? 🙂
That. Need to go find a place where I can go play. I know it goes fast, lots of people demonstrated that--it was more important for me to get the car on a twisty road, which is what I did yesterday. :)

The plaid lists as a feature the carbon sleeve rotors but is silent on the motors for the LR. I don't think the LR would see a unused motor sitting there but was a little surprised to see the dual rear motors sharing a housing. What will the motors in the LR be?

I'm kind of interested in this too. The Plaid uses permanent magnet DC motors, but the pre-refresh S uses AC induction, right? Heck don't all previous Teslas use AC induction? Notwithstanding the missing third motor in the back, it seems like it would be a significant jump in complexity from a development (and production) standpoint if the LR used AC induction and the Plaid doesn't.

I feel like, as others in this thread have pointed out, the only major mechanical difference between the LR and the Plaid is the third motor and they try to make that fact less obvious by just not saying much about the LR (and also not delivering any, awwww).

Race car driver & Tesla consultant, Randy Pobst behind the (round - not yoke) wheel, lol! 😎😜. Btw - read an article that said Randy Pobst came in for a pit stop when the Plaid was @ 30% battery and he said the car felt just as strong then as when he first started at 100%. That’s telling! 👍🏻😎
Great video... thanks for sharing. I love the outside pass on the Corkscrew at Laguna Seca... an impressive car and driver. Next up Nurburgring! ;)

1623645294087.png

I'm kind of interested in this too. The Plaid uses permanent magnet DC motors, but the pre-refresh S uses AC induction, right? Heck don't all previous Teslas use AC induction? Notwithstanding the missing third motor in the back, it seems like it would be a significant jump in complexity from a development (and production) standpoint if the LR used AC induction and the Plaid doesn't.

I feel like, as others in this thread have pointed out, the only major mechanical difference between the LR and the Plaid is the third motor and they try to make that fact less obvious by just not saying much about the LR (and also not delivering any, awwww).

Both LR and Plaid use AC permanent motors

@omarsultan as someone who has a Plaid on order (and they claim I may still get one this month because I did black/black/wood trim), I am most interested in the charge curve. I do a LOT of road trips, and am very curious to see how the Plaid stacks up against my 2019 Raven Model X for charging speed. I know the new architecture has been mentioned, but that sweet sweet curve is what I'm craving.

Anywho, thanks for sharing your info and experiences. :)

The original S & X used AC induction then Tesla made the move to PM motors with the 3 and the S and X were a mix for a while, then, with the Raven models, went all PM. On the website, the carbon sleeves are only mentioned for the Plaid drivetrain, so perhaps the LR is some evolution of the Raven platform--maybe same motors, new pack?

The original S & X used AC induction then Tesla made the move to PM motors with the 3 and the S and X were a mix for a while, then, with the Raven models, went all PM. On the website, the carbon sleeves are only mentioned for the Plaid drivetrain, so perhaps the LR is some evolution of the Raven platform--maybe same motors, new pack?
The most likely explanation, and similar look in the renders to the Raven performance motors.

Raven is PM in the front, AC induction in the back