Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got a very interesting call from Tesla in Fremont, the first communication I've had from Tesla since my placing my order btw. Guy asked me if I was interested in taking earlier delivery of my Plaid by swapping from Carbon Fiber to Wood Interior trim. And I said "absolutely". I would have already done this since they starting offering the black ebony wood with the black interior. But I didn't want to get hit with the price hike from current pricing etc. So.. He says he will get my order updated and they will get back with me soon when I have a VIN assigned and that I should now be looking at delivery by the end of June (Nashville). WooHoo!

Edit: Just got an email from Tesla confirming the update and my order details have updated in my account as well!
Please tell them I would like this deal as well, hah!

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Whyyyyyyy do people insist on saying ludicrous speed and plaid are two different things?

I just hate when people get movie references wrong. Spaceballs 1 goes to ludicrous speed and passes Lonestar and Barf, who are in normal light speed with the white lines, while Plaid. Plaid is the “color” OF ludicrous speed. They’re not two different things! Amateurs!!! 🤣
I guess Elon got it wrong too. That's embarrassing.

A friend of mine who just got a Taycan RWD sent me this from the taycan forum. Good stuff!

“very knowledgable Performance shop owner today reported on his personal experience with Plaid - track driver - champsionship racer - his shop services/tracks every make/model of car you can imagine, and they have deep experience with most brands (including Tesla) - and he is not a Tesla fan even though he’s in silly-con valley - but sees the writing on the wall with EV
  1. fastest car he’s ever driven - mind blowing (his words) - he’s driven everything (including dragster, La Ferarri, Tesla Model S, Taycan, Cup Cars…)
  2. plaid changes things no doubt based on his 45 min test drive - this is a benchmark vehicle for the entire industry
  3. acceleration is unlike any car on the market
  4. steering/suspension ALL new - all better - really really good in his opinion
    1. steering feel excellent (Porsche quality - his words)
    2. suspension - tight, but compliant - excellent ride quality with great balance for stiffness for performance
    3. handling as good as it gets for a car this big - equal to Taycan if not better
    4. because of the dual motors and software in the rear end acceleration through corners is best on the market right now - grip, feel, and split of power given the dual independent motors on the rear end allow this vehicle to handle like nothing else on the market, both at low speeds and high speed cornering - it’s an infinitely variable limited slip differential virtualized in software - this car can do things no other vehicle can do for handling at any speed.
  5. handling light years better than anything on the market (including Taycan which he’s personally a lot of seat time)
  6. software - order of magnitude fast/better/more control and easy to use than previous Tesla software - will once again set a benchmark for the industry to attempt to catch
  7. did I tell you it was quick - mind blowing quick
  8. he spent an hour going over the car exterior and interior - build quality dramtically improved vs. the 100’s of Model 3 and S’s he has inspected/upgraded/experience over the years
  9. brakes - utter crap - and not up the task of a vehicle that can easily accomplish more than 180 mph - OMG they are sooooo bad
    1. he said if they fix the brakes they wil have the BEST 4 door lux sports sedan on the market
    2. you can soo easily drive this car too fast for the brakes to meet you expectations - he predicts people will die because of this - the car is sooooo fast, but you can’t stop it.
  10. Still not a track car, but able to hang with _ANY_ sports sedan on the market and embarass it greatly
  11. The plaid inspected on a mechanical lift shows a complete redesigned suspension and other components…
His Bottom Line: Best 4 door sports sedan on the market - if they fix the brakes there is nothing to complete with it.

Did I tell you he hate’s Tesla and Elon?

lesson here is: the Plaid is not the model S, and bears little if any resemblance to the pit-falls we are all so familiar with the Model S. The exterior may have not changed that much, but the drive train, suspension are all new and better/best across the board…interior fit/finish and materials are also substaintially better in his assessments (his customer base include bentles, aston martins, porsche’s ferrari’s, lambos, audi’s, jags, land rovers etc - he is in good position to recognize build quality and materials)

My impression in the postings on this thread are from people who have no first hand experience with a Plaid…just my $0.02

One should take a wait and see approach and actually evaluate the Plaid product, rather than just assuming it’s a souped up Model S.”
Really nice write-up. Interesting observation/experience with the new Plaid (Brembro) brakes, but I have to wonder if he's talking more about braking on the track or just everyday driving? Besides, any Plaid owner can simply change out the brakes if they really want...it will cost $4k+ to get better, driller/slotted rotors & larger calipers/ceramic brake pads, but it can be done. I think for most people driving the Plaid (who are not tracking it like me for example), the oem brakes may be quite sufficient for everyday driving + some occasional spirited driving. Thoughts?

I believe it's because once you pass a certain point (1/4 mile under 10 seconds, or trap speed over 140-150) you need a certain special license to run those times. I guess they determine that once a car goes beyond those figures, the driver needs more skill to handle those faster speeds.
Sure, so why not just just do 1 run ALL OUT as fast as you can go, then get booted never to return and just be proud of that? LOL. 😜

Does anyone have any idea when LR’s will start to be delivered and reviewed? All of this plaid excitement is great, would love to understand how much of the technology and general improvements will find their way to the LR.

Seems like this thread should be split at this point, one for Plaid and one for LR?

There seems to be some movement on the LR but nothing definitive.

Here is a thread for the LR deliveries. Monitor that thread but it does move a bit slower than this thread. 2021 Refresh S LR Delivery Tracking

For those lamenting the death of the +, I find myself better understanding the decision given the Porsche Forum write up.

Why produce a one off with single piece casting (integral battery) using different cells and produce it along side the LR and Plaid when the Plaid works as well as it does? I know that was Elon's logic but, ya know, he tends to be a little over enthusiastic and thus I take what he says with a grain of salt. It is not so much a conscience thing but I do find myself discounting a lot of what he says when I evaluate paths forward. Seeing the information from someone that does not have a dog in the fight, or may even have a dog on the other side, is a much more credible source.

I may not like loosing the 520+ miles of range but I think I am perfectly happy with where this current update journey has taken me. Thank you Tesla.
Knowing Tesla they will definitely install 4680 cells in Plaid and turn it into 520+ mile vehicle especially when Lucid starts delivering their touring model and that is a big 'if'. I think Tesla only advertised Plaid+ to *sugar* on Lucid's parade of making the first 500+ mile EV and promising to deliver it in 2021. Don't think it has much to do with," Oh, Plaid is this good then why do we need Plaid+". It's just that their 4680 cells need more time to be perfected and this way Plaid+ won't be eating away Roadster pre-orders which I don't think are that many any way.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Does anyone have any idea when LR’s will start to be delivered and reviewed? All of this plaid excitement is great, would love to understand how much of the technology and general improvements will find their way to the LR.

Seems like this thread should be split at this point, one for Plaid and one for LR?
If anyone had a clue, there would not be 1980 pages of guessing on this thread!

here is link to Forum just for MS LR deliveries.