Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You sound a lot like you don't really want this car. If you're that uncomfortable with the yoke being there. This is absolutely not the car for you. Sucks you can't get over it. It's got it. No they're not magically going to give you a round one. And if you don't like it. You can cancel your order.

I'm tired of reading on this thread how much people hate certain parts, tail lights, yoke, accidents, maybe it's too fast, not fast enough. Let's move on and be excited some people have them, some VINs and pickups are scheduled for this weekend even!

All y'all haters. Please see the door and cancel your order.

Y'all ready for delivery? Let's talk about that.
Hmmm, thought it was mentioned by a good number of posters that the opportunity to complain was somewhat therapeutic. It is looking like this will be the best car built by anyone, I think everyone is so anxious to get the car there are is some growsing but I don't think Tesla haters.

Oh gosh, you don't get it. Those F1 & CUP cars with the yoke steering have a much shorter steering ratio dude than the MS yoke steering. From the Jalopnik article...

"I know there’s an argument that F1 cars use yoke-type wheels, but, remember, F1 cars are set up so that lock-to-lock turning can happen without the hands crossing. F1 cars themselves don’t move the front wheels more than 14 or 20 degrees even on the tightest tracks. F1 designers also don’t want drivers putting hand-over-hand like they’re parallel parking, so F1 cars make do with steering wheels that don’t even do one full turn from lock-to-lock. Again, even on the tightest tracks, they only move between 300 and 400 degrees at most.

The Model S wheel turns about two and a quarter full rotations, or around 800 degrees lock-to-lock according to one owner, which is pretty close to the standard 900 degrees/2.5 turns for most cars, as Jalopnik’s own automotive engineer David Tracy tells me. That is not what a yoke is designed to do.

The only car I’ve driven with a yoke was this:...which you might recognize as being from a dragster, a car specifically designed to just go straight as much as possible. A yoke is a wheel design that’s shaped that way to discourage a lot of turning, which is why for cars that may need to do a lot of low-speed maneuvering and turning, like a normal street car, a yoke is a pretty crappy design.

I’m sure it’s something a driver could eventually get used to, but that’s very much not the same thing as a new design that actually makes the operation of the machine better.

Here’s a dramatic example of why yoke-type wheels aren’t great for a lot of turning, as demonstrated by installing a yoke in a drift car. If you click the link you can watch and see why it’s not ideal, particularly for the structural integrity of your thumbs.

The yoke design also forces crossed arms a lot, which would be bad if the airbag deployed, and while that’s possible to happen with any wheel, the design of the yoke exacerbates it. The yoke precludes letting a wheel slide back into position and forces your hands to be locked onto the 9 and 3 positions. (I know a lot of track driving demands this, but there aren’t airbags there in track cars and, come on, the Model S is a street car.)"

Real-World Video Of The Tesla Yoke Steering Wheel Is As Bad As You Think UPDATED
Yes but those f1 cars are also driving around a track at high speeds. On the street we don’t need those kind of steering ratios. 992 gt3 Cup cars have a less aggressive steering ratios than f1 cars and they can correct drifts. Unless you plan in backing up at 50mph or doing a U turn at 50 mph, you’ll rarely be going more than a full 180 rotation. I don’t plan on drifting my Model S luxury ev sedan. I have my GT3 for that.

My Plaid order that was solidly June for a while went blank today like a bunch of others. My SA who’s been nothing be responsive and reliable and has been upfront about not knowing a darn thing about deliveries, is fairly confident June delivery is still in play for my Plaid order but “a lot of things have to go right”. Not holding my breath at this point and resetting my expectations to July but will be a pleasant surprise if June happens.

I wavered a little a few days back thinking I’ll compromise and get a Black interior but did not go through with it and am happy that I stuck it out keeping the white interior. Many of you have said to stick with the car you want and that message has landed. ☺️

Also, SA said there has been 1 delivery and 1 another scheduled for this weekend so far of Plaid in the Seattle area from his SC. Shocking to hear there are folks outside of TMC (or this thread) getting a Plaid!! (/s)😆

Tesla busy making our cars. Haha.

x7r36xggsw571.jpg

Oh gosh, you don't get it. Those F1 & CUP cars with the yoke steering have a much shorter steering ratio dude than the MS yoke steering. From the Jalopnik article...

"I know there’s an argument that F1 cars use yoke-type wheels, but, remember, F1 cars are set up so that lock-to-lock turning can happen without the hands crossing. F1 cars themselves don’t move the front wheels more than 14 or 20 degrees even on the tightest tracks. F1 designers also don’t want drivers putting hand-over-hand like they’re parallel parking, so F1 cars make do with steering wheels that don’t even do one full turn from lock-to-lock. Again, even on the tightest tracks, they only move between 300 and 400 degrees at most.

The Model S wheel turns about two and a quarter full rotations, or around 800 degrees lock-to-lock according to one owner, which is pretty close to the standard 900 degrees/2.5 turns for most cars, as Jalopnik’s own automotive engineer David Tracy tells me. That is not what a yoke is designed to do.

The only car I’ve driven with a yoke was this:...which you might recognize as being from a dragster, a car specifically designed to just go straight as much as possible. A yoke is a wheel design that’s shaped that way to discourage a lot of turning, which is why for cars that may need to do a lot of low-speed maneuvering and turning, like a normal street car, a yoke is a pretty crappy design.

I’m sure it’s something a driver could eventually get used to, but that’s very much not the same thing as a new design that actually makes the operation of the machine better.

Here’s a dramatic example of why yoke-type wheels aren’t great for a lot of turning, as demonstrated by installing a yoke in a drift car. If you click the link you can watch and see why it’s not ideal, particularly for the structural integrity of your thumbs.

The yoke design also forces crossed arms a lot, which would be bad if the airbag deployed, and while that’s possible to happen with any wheel, the design of the yoke exacerbates it. The yoke precludes letting a wheel slide back into position and forces your hands to be locked onto the 9 and 3 positions. (I know a lot of track driving demands this, but there aren’t airbags there in track cars and, come on, the Model S is a street car.)"

Real-World Video Of The Tesla Yoke Steering Wheel Is As Bad As You Think UPDATED
So what I think I hear you saying for the last 100 pages is you don’t like the yoke…

Give it a week and Pep Boys will have an aftermarket round wheel and bolt on Bluetooth stalks for the signals and gear selector.

So what I think I hear you saying for the last 100 pages is you don’t like the yoke…

Give it a week and Pep Boys will have an aftermarket round wheel and bolt on Bluetooth stalks for the signals and gear selector.
Ha. I would be HAPPY to eat my words and say that the yoke steering is the best thing to happen to a car in decades (other than the newer EV technology)! But at least from initial reports, reviews and actual driver experiences, I don’t think that will happen. We’ll see.

I think you are right. There is a good chance that aftermarket companies do bring this functionality, however, I highly doubt it will be Pep Boys.
033C0768-68E3-4754-B739-0EA4CC279CF5.jpeg

Hmmm, thought it was mentioned by a good number of posters that the opportunity to complain was somewhat therapeutic. It is looking like this will be the best car built by anyone, I think everyone is so anxious to get the car there are is some growsing but I don't think Tesla haters.
I think the "hate" is a product of being really enthusiastic about the car while simultaneously being ignored by the company selling said car.

We have people here that had a contract to buy a car, only to be told by Tesla they will not honor that contract, but if they want to spend more money, they can order the new model.

We have a CEO that said deliveries start in February, then that slid to March April May June with no information about why for months.

Then there are the people who ordered a Plaid+, only to find out that car was vaporware.

After all of that, the little things started to add up:

The silver rims were changed to black. Whether you like the new ones or not, a contract was made to purchase a car, and then the items it comes with were changed.

Estimated delivery dates have been changing randomly throughout.

The range promised was adjusted down to 405 for LR.

The tilt screen may or may not still exist.

ANC is not functional and no one knows why.

Then there is the logistical issues of people waiting more than half a year getting passed over on deliveries simply because of package combinations. And there was no way to know this when choosing the vehicle.

Now, I have not been complaining for the most part, but for those who are, I am sympathetic to the loss of patience and frustration with this experience. If you are not mad at what has been happening, great for you. But the world NEEDS people who do not accept what is being handed to them. Those are the ones who raise the bar and force a better experience/product/value. Don't dismiss them and say they should just cancel their order. That "love it or leave it" mentality did nothing to improve our country, and it will do nothing to fix what is wrong with Tesla. They make great products, but right now there is a valid reason to be critical of how they have handled their customers concerns, questions, and reservations.

I think the "hate" is a product of being really enthusiastic about the car while simultaneously being ignored by the company selling said car.
They make great products, but right now there is a valid reason to be critical of how they have handled their customers concerns, questions, and reservations.
Amen brother. The lack of communication is not actually hard to solve, other than probably taking the temporary stock price hit that honesty would cause. That's the biggest reason for the frustration. I have only been waiting since April, I can't imagine the frustration of those with pre-refresh orders.

@sflgator - you need to chill out, bro. im going for craziest poster on TMC and I can't have you typing novels of crazy *sugar* while I'm out trying to be productive for one hour each day.

@AnselmDante - bingo. Tesla/Elon makes it a little bit harder on themselves than they need to - but hes sort of got that mindset of not wasting time on what he perceives as a non-value add (such as sending customers emails about delays "theyll figure it out"). hes a little loose - but you know i rewatched the Plaid reveal today (LOL) and the Lucid air reveal and within 10 minutes of hearing the Lucid execs talking about stupid *sugar* like "the santa monica fog" (what the ****?) I was happy to have a stumblin-mumblin-but genuinely excited about his product Elon presentation.

@AnselmDante - bingo. Tesla/Elon makes it a little bit harder on themselves than they need to - but hes sort of got that mindset of not wasting time on what he perceives and as a non-value add (such as sending customers emails about delays "theyll figure it out"). hes a little loose - but you know i rewatched the Plaid reveal today (LOL) and the Lucid air reveal and within 10 minutes of hearing the Lucid execs talking about stupid *sugar* like "the santa monica fog" (what the ****?) I was happy to have a stumblin, mumblin but genuinely excited about his product Elon presentaiton.
Totally agreed! :)

Ha. I would be HAPPY to eat my words and say that the yoke steering is the best thing to happen to a car in decades (other than the newer EV technology)! But at least from initial reports, reviews and actual driver experiences, I don’t think that will happen. We’ll see.
Better…no
Unique…yes
Will there be accidents related to the yoke…possibly
Has there been worse designs in the industry? Oh yes
Shock and publicity value for Tesla….priceless