Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So far, the only thing I dislike about the car is the Model 3-style door releases--miss the handles of my old S. I've given them time and I am sure I'll get used to them eventually, but meh.
Minor correction Omar, they are actually different as in on the S they are a haptic touch button, whereas on the 3 it's actually an electronic button that is not haptic touch.

Okay, so before you say anything, yes I understand this is over-the-top. I wrote a small python script to watch my Tesla account for changes and to publish those changes to MQTT, which is wired up to my Home Assistant setup. I then wrote an automation in Home Assistant to flash the lights in my office if either 1) a VIN shows up or 2) the delivery date changes. This is gonna save me a lot of time I'd otherwise waste watching paint dry (on my new car). :)
This sounds like something I would do... could you possibly share it? haha

On topic: Mine went from July, to blank (for the first time...)

My Plaid delivery has been scheduled for June 28 delivery for about a week. It was at the Fremont rail yard on 6/18 and unfortunately it is still there today. Given the 10 day rail trip to Birmingham and then car carrier to Charlotte, I see no way my date will hold. Very doubtful it will make EOQ.

But several Plaids have already been delivered to Charlotte according to the SC person who is delivering one today.
So some encouraging news! And who are these owners that are not on this thread?

Okay, so before you say anything, yes I understand this is over-the-top. I wrote a small python script to watch my Tesla account for changes and to publish those changes to MQTT, which is wired up to my Home Assistant setup. I then wrote an automation in Home Assistant to flash the lights in my office if either 1) a VIN shows up or 2) the delivery date changes. This is gonna save me a lot of time I'd otherwise waste watching paint dry (on my new car). :)
You should sell it in the App Store. Judging by this group, it will likely pay for Arachnids and FSD. Maybe even your while car!

often the complaints are “if I don’t get my car by x date…..”.

I have that "by date" sentiment but it is linked to lack of date/communication not just to be in a pissing contest with Tesla. I need a car and to move on. Tesla has given me no end or target even. So I cannot keep going indefinitely.

I was VERY confused on this until I realized you were talking about the interior door handles. Is the "button" really that bad? I know it is not really a button.
Yeah, should have been more clear. It kinda is a button (walks like a duck...). It does the job, just not a fan of the design choice.

I put my order in just a couple of weeks ago, so I'm not complaining about my projected October delivery (non-Plaid), but it really seems crazy that it will take that long to work through the backlog of orders on what is a nearly $100k car. If they can average 1,500/week starting in, say, July, that would suggest that there are 20,000+ orders for the refreshed S. That might not seem like a lot compared to the 3, but the peak # of Model S's Tesla has ever sold in a year was 29,000 back in 2018.
The delay appears to be parts related, not manufacturing capacity

I'm from Aus so all this talk of taking off the front license plate is foreign to me (no pun intended) as it's just law here, but are you guys also allowed to install radar detectors and jammers legally? That sounds like something that probably shouldn't be allowed haha (I assumed it's to block speed cameras)?
It’s called freeeeeedumb

I was VERY confused on this until I realized you were talking about the interior door handles. Is the "button" really that bad? I know it is not really a button.

So happy this was clarified! I thought we didn’t have electronic release door handles on the exterior and my heart sank 💔

So happy this was clarified! I thought we didn’t have electronic release door handles on the exterior and my heart sank 💔
Been without my old S for a week and already forgot about the interior handles haha. Like someone else mentioned, it is more haptic than a physical button. Will take some time adjusting for sure.

It’s called freeeeeedumb
Hansel said:
I'm from Aus so all this talk of taking off the front license plate is foreign to me (no pun intended) as it's just law here, but are you guys also allowed to install radar detectors and jammers legally? That sounds like something that probably shouldn't be allowed haha (I assumed it's to block speed cameras)?
Yes, a front license plate is required by law in several states. The difference is, a lot of Americans just don’t care - including this dumb American. I’m sure in Australia, the penalty for not abiding by the law is more severe. Here you just need to pay a very small processing fee and provide proof that you have fixed the issue. Then you just take the plate off again. Rinse and repeat.

Both of my Plaid orders switched from BLANK to June today. I’m pretty sure it is meaningless, but at this point I’m now hoping the car doesn’t come until July because I will be out of town for the next couple of weeks.
I can do you a solid and take delivery for you. I’ll even break it in and keep it garaged until you return. Let me know.

I have that "by date" sentiment but it is linked to lack of date/communication not just to be in a pissing contest with Tesla. I need a car and to move on. Tesla has given me no end or target even. So I cannot keep going indefinitely.
Exactly my situation. My current lease is up in January and I will need a car to drive.

Reactions: HumanInput