Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to see someone do a crude remake of that famous Paul Walker Vin Diesel scene at the end of the original Fast and Furious. Replace Paul Walker's Supra with a Plaid, and have him finish the scene while Vin's muscle car is still spinning the tires.
1624729731575.png

After turning down early delivery if I changed from Carbon Fiber I just received a VIN for my Plaid, MSM, Arachnids, cream, carbon fiber. Glad I decided to hang in there. VIN-5YJSA1E68MF434—. Estimated delivery: June 27-30. Don’t know how I can transfer the money by then or what the VIN indicates but I’m kind of in shock And excited to say the least. At 75, I’m hoping my heart can handle the warp speed.
Congrats! I just don't understand their process at all considering you ordered well after me and already have a VIN. My order RN1141 was from way back on 11/8/20 and I still show blank delivery estimate for the last week or more. Before that it was June, then July and now blank. Mine is Pearl White, Arachnids, black interior with carbon fiber. You getting a VIN already is giving me hope but I guess my early order doesn't mean *sugar* lol.

Looked onto the website this morning and my delivery date got pushed up to June 28-30.

Two weeks ago it was showing August, then it went blank, and now I saw this.

Model S Long Range
Pearl White Multi-Coat
21" Arachnid Wheels
Black and White Premium Interior with Walnut Décor
Yoke Steering
Full Self-Driving Capability
Autopilot

RN1145299xx
2/17/21 Reservation

The other factor for me is that with the Plaid, both the 19 and 21 inch wheels come with (and need) Summer tires. It’s kind of a PITA to have to switch out the wheels twice a year (and store the extra set). With the LR, I can get away with All-seasons. I realize there are many advantages to Summer/Winter tires but with the Plaid, there is no option - it would be silly to have All-seasons.
I thought all-seasons were manageable in the winter until I got a set of studless snow/ice tires. There is no comparison, if you are going to encounter snow (and especially ice) I cannot stress how much more comfortable you will feel. I also should add I have heard a lot of people say “I have AWD, I don’t need winter tires”. All I say is “How does AWD help you when you have to hit the brakes?”. Here in the Pacific Northwest the winter tires even help when it is 40° and rainy, the rubber is much stickier at cold temperatures than summer or even all season tires. Yeah you have to store them but all you need is 44”x30”. Here’s an idea for an entrepreneur, a place where you go to swap your winter tires and summer tires and they store the extra set for you.

Attachments

• 1B2F84D0-7BD2-41FF-9F3E-EB255A6B7856.jpeg
    1B2F84D0-7BD2-41FF-9F3E-EB255A6B7856.jpeg
    502.1 KB · Views: 58
All, I took delivery (earlier than expected) yesterday and would like to give some first impressions.

I know this should be it's own thread in a different forum, but I think this thread is the most active of all, so I thought I'd start this here. This is a quick list of thoughts and I will update. Preamble: I have been driving Tesla since 2012 and my last car was a 2018 MX (old MCU).
  • Interior fit and finish very nice
    • seems more refined than prior MS
    • only thing that seems a bit cheap is the cloth portion of the door
    • my center console is also malfunctioning. The top sliding door worked for about an hour. Now, it won't stay open or half-open. It just slides all the way shut when you let go of it. Have service technician coming to my house next week
  • Doors require a little more oomph to close than I was expecting
    • that said, I am coming from MX that has doors that close themselves
  • Exterior looks sharp
  • Driving experience is amazing. No surprise there. Fast, smooth, corners better than anything I have ever driven
  • Software and hardware are great
    • huge step up from my MCU MX. Interface good and operating system is snappy and responsive
  • Yoke experience:
    • So far, I would describe my opinion of the yoke as "tolerant". Simple, 90 degree turns are easy and kind of fun. But in most cases, it requires you to be actively aware of the steering wheel position. It's not hard or terribly awkward, but it requires more mental effort than I would like. I always considered Tesla's to be so easy to drive that they almost drive themselves (no pun intended, and am not referring to FSD. Just referring to the ease of driving). Having the yoke almost negates that experience. In prior Tesla's, running errands and driving kids to and from practice were never a chore. I actually looked forward to driving. So far, I don't quite feel that way. I feel like the driving experience requires more mental energy and work because of the yoke
    • If given a choice, hands down I would choose a round wheel
  • Stalkless Experience:
    • Turn signals:
      • Don't want to be heretical, but these are both very bad. As many have speculated here, Tesla took something elementary and made it hard. We all learned around the age of 15 how to use turn signals and we now have to rewire our brains to do something that used to be really intuitive. Is it doable? For sure, but like the yoke, it requires more mental alertness and concentration than it should. Detracts from the joy of driving.
      • A lot of people like to point out how Elon and Steve Jobs are great at telling us what we like. We don't always know it until we have it in our hands. That's great for iPhones, but not when it comes to handling a vehicle that is capable of going 200 MPH. Keep it simple and safe.
    • Horn:
      • terrible design decision, IMO. There is room in the middle of the yoke for a horn. Why not just make it honk? I have had two situations in which a horn was necessary. One of them was a close call, cause my right hand was not exactly where it needed to be to honk the horn. I can see this being a problem.
    • Park, Forward Reverse selection
      • My car is still "calibrating" (whatever that means), so I can't let it guess my direction yet. Using the screen is fine, but an unnecessary PITA, IMO. I have once swiped down when I meant to swipe up. Fortunately, no cars were behind me.
  • Getting in an out of the car is harder than I remember on my old MS's. This is not specific to MS Plaid. It is more a function of my age and the fact that I got used to SUV dynamics.

Overall, the car is awesome, but I lament the amount of mental focus it takes to drive. I will give it more time and update, but I am not 100% certain I will be keeping this car.

Sorry to be so negative, but I think it's important to balance the enthusiasm with reality. All this is one dude's opinion based on 24 hours experience, so keep that in mind.
Possible for you to share you delivery date and order number. So we can estimate our own?
Cheers
P

All, I took delivery (earlier than expected) yesterday and would like to give some first impressions.

I know this should be it's own thread in a different forum, but I think this thread is the most active of all, so I thought I'd start this here. This is a quick list of thoughts and I will update. Preamble: I have been driving Tesla since 2012 and my last car was a 2018 MX (old MCU).
    • my center console is also malfunctioning. The top sliding door worked for about an hour. Now, it won't stay open or half-open. It just slides all the way shut when you let go of it. Have service technician coming to my house next week
  • Exterior looks sharp
  • Driving experience is amazing. No surprise there. Fast, smooth, corners better than anything I have ever driven
    • huge step up from my MCU MX. Interface good and operating system is snappy and responsive
  • Yoke experience:
    • So far, I would describe my opinion of the yoke as "tolerant". Simple, 90 degree turns are easy and kind of fun. But in most cases, it requires you to be actively aware of the steering wheel position. It's not hard or terribly awkward, but it requires more mental effort than I would like. I always considered Tesla's to be so easy to drive that they almost drive themselves (no pun intended, and am not referring to FSD. Just referring to the ease of driving). Having the yoke almost negates that experience. In prior Tesla's, running errands and driving kids to and from practice were never a chore. I actually looked forward to driving. So far, I don't quite feel that way. I feel like the driving experience requires more mental energy and work because of the yoke
  • Stalkless Experience:
    • Turn signals:
      • Don't want to be heretical, but these are both very bad. As many have speculated here, Tesla took something elementary and made it hard. We all learned around the age of 15 how to use turn signals and we now have to rewire our brains to do something that used to be really intuitive. Is it doable? For sure, but like the yoke, it requires more mental alertness and concentration than it should. Detracts from the joy of driving.
      • A lot of people like to point out how Elon and Steve Jobs are great at telling us what we like. We don't always know it until we have it in our hands. That's great for iPhones, but not when it comes to handling a vehicle that is capable of going 200 MPH. Keep it simple and safe.
    • Horn:
      • terrible design decision, IMO. There is room in the middle of the yoke for a horn. Why not just make it honk? I have had two situations in which a horn was necessary. One of them was a close call, cause my right hand was not exactly where it needed to be to honk the horn. I can see this being a problem.
      • My car is still "calibrating" (whatever that means), so I can't let it guess my direction yet. Using the screen is fine, but an unnecessary PITA, IMO. I have once swiped down when I meant to swipe up. Fortunately, no cars were behind me.
  • Getting in an out of the car is harder than I remember on my old MS's. This is not specific to MS Plaid. It is more a function of my age and the fact that I got used to SUV dynamics.

Overall, the car is awesome, but I lament the amount of mental focus it takes to drive. I will give it more time and update, but I am not 100% certain I will be keeping this car.

Sorry to be so negative, but I think it's important to balance the enthusiasm with reality. All this is one dude's opinion based on 24 hours experience, so keep that in mind.
possible to share your delivery date and order number so we can extrapolate our own?
cheers

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Lol same here. Went blank after June DD for 4 days
Blank blank blank

Glad I switched to wood to speed up delivery 🤦‍♂️

This is crazy. Switched from canceled red Paid+ with refunded deposit received to a Plaid black exterior/interior with CF and 19", FSD Monday. Wednesday my account indicated I would get June delivery. Thursday delivery month removed. Between last night (Friday) and this morning June delivery was reinserted. I don't have a vin # yet and was totally comfortable waiting a month or two (as I was prepared to wait another year for the +). I don't know what to think now. This could disprove CF and 19" delay theory.
I had the exact same delivery dates change. I was even at June 29-30 and then June for 4 days to now Blank. I don't think it means anything. These dates are not even close to the actual delivery date. We have not seen a single 19" Plaid being delivered yet. Also white interior is the hold too.

• Exterior looks sharp
  • Yoke experience:
  • Stalkless Experience:
    • Turn signals:
    • Horn:

Thanks for the review. Have to wait at least 6 month before getting my S (Europe) but can understand your concerns. The most basic things, horn, direction lights should not have changed. No need except maybe saving some dollars. The time for Tesla to make money on the early adaptors is gone. Their monopoly position for EV too. I did order my S ( 4th one) because I like the shape and the battery life. If competition will come with a model I like to and sam3 battery range I probably say goodbye to Tesla….
For the yoke, hope Europe will not approve it.

I had a friend who was offered a 2am home delivery (he declined). One of the things that makes EoQ extra crazy is a surprising number of people do not show up for their delivery appointments, which adds to the chaos.
Ya know, I can see wanting to mess with Tesla just a tad bit. I can almost understand the mindset "You mess with me, I mess back". Pull a no show but make sure to call them to keep the car for you until you decide to show up. It would be a small taste of setting exceptions then not meeting them - from the receiving side :)