Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I originally ordered the Plaid+ for the range, not the performance (though the performance was a nice bonus!).

When they reached out to change to a Plaid, I almost turned them down. The LR is practical and honestly a fantastic value. My practical side said it was the perfect car for me, and I know I would have been very happy to own one.

But then my completely impractical side said: "Hey pal, you have the chance to own the fastest production car in the world for a moment in time, and it won't cost you millions of dollars."

The impractical side won.
This!, Exactly This!

Reactions: Drew-MS and rhuber
All, I took delivery (earlier than expected) yesterday and would like to give some first impressions.

I know this should be it's own thread in a different forum, but I think this thread is the most active of all, so I thought I'd start this here. This is a quick list of thoughts and I will update. Preamble: I have been driving Tesla since 2012 and my last car was a 2018 MX (old MCU).
  • Interior fit and finish very nice
    • seems more refined than prior MS
    • only thing that seems a bit cheap is the cloth portion of the door
    • my center console is also malfunctioning. The top sliding door worked for about an hour. Now, it won't stay open or half-open. It just slides all the way shut when you let go of it. Have service technician coming to my house next week
  • Doors require a little more oomph to close than I was expecting
    • that said, I am coming from MX that has doors that close themselves
  • Exterior looks sharp
  • Driving experience is amazing. No surprise there. Fast, smooth, corners better than anything I have ever driven
  • Software and hardware are great
    • huge step up from my MCU MX. Interface good and operating system is snappy and responsive
  • Yoke experience:
    • So far, I would describe my opinion of the yoke as "tolerant". Simple, 90 degree turns are easy and kind of fun. But in most cases, it requires you to be actively aware of the steering wheel position. It's not hard or terribly awkward, but it requires more mental effort than I would like. I always considered Tesla's to be so easy to drive that they almost drive themselves (no pun intended, and am not referring to FSD. Just referring to the ease of driving). Having the yoke almost negates that experience. In prior Tesla's, running errands and driving kids to and from practice were never a chore. I actually looked forward to driving. So far, I don't quite feel that way. I feel like the driving experience requires more mental energy and work because of the yoke
    • If given a choice, hands down I would choose a round wheel
  • Stalkless Experience:
    • Turn signals:
      • Don't want to be heretical, but these are both very bad. As many have speculated here, Tesla took something elementary and made it hard. We all learned around the age of 15 how to use turn signals and we now have to rewire our brains to do something that used to be really intuitive. Is it doable? For sure, but like the yoke, it requires more mental alertness and concentration than it should. Detracts from the joy of driving.
      • A lot of people like to point out how Elon and Steve Jobs are great at telling us what we like. We don't always know it until we have it in our hands. That's great for iPhones, but not when it comes to handling a vehicle that is capable of going 200 MPH. Keep it simple and safe.
    • Horn:
      • terrible design decision, IMO. There is room in the middle of the yoke for a horn. Why not just make it honk? I have had two situations in which a horn was necessary. One of them was a close call, cause my right hand was not exactly where it needed to be to honk the horn. I can see this being a problem.
    • Park, Forward Reverse selection
      • My car is still "calibrating" (whatever that means), so I can't let it guess my direction yet. Using the screen is fine, but an unnecessary PITA, IMO. I have once swiped down when I meant to swipe up. Fortunately, no cars were behind me.
  • Getting in an out of the car is harder than I remember on my old MS's. This is not specific to MS Plaid. It is more a function of my age and the fact that I got used to SUV dynamics.

Overall, the car is awesome, but I lament the amount of mental focus it takes to drive. I will give it more time and update, but I am not 100% certain I will be keeping this car.

Sorry to be so negative, but I think it's important to balance the enthusiasm with reality. All this is one dude's opinion based on 24 hours experience, so keep that in mind.

Last edited:
Is there a thread for
How to: Model S Refresh

I am receiving my new car tomorrow and have never owned a Tesla or an EV. I have. Million questions from getting in vehicle to gear shifting and stuff like using USB or iPhone for music and all the little things specific to my mew car. I will finish reading the owners manual tonight. But it would be nice to have a thread specific to refreshed S operation.
Direct message me, happy to help. Also, it sounds laborious (but will pass the time) - read the manual. TONS of great information in there.

All, I took delivery (earlier than expected) yesterday and would like to give some first impressions.

I know this should be it's own thread in a different forum, but I think this thread is the most active of all, so I thought I'd start this here. This is a quick list of thoughts and I will update. Preamble: I have been driving Tesla since 2012 and my last car was a 2018 MX (old MCU).
    • my center console is also malfunctioning. The top sliding door worked for about an hour. Now, it won't stay open or half-open. It just slides all the way shut when you let go of it. Have service technician coming to my house next week
    • that said, I am coming to MX that has doors that close themselves
  • Exterior looks sharp
  • Driving experience is amazing. No surprise there. Fast, smooth, corners better than anything I have ever driven
    • huge step up from my MCU MX. Interface good and operating system is snappy and responsive
  • Yoke experience:
    • So far, I would describe my opinion of the yoke as "tolerant". Simple, 90 degree turns are easy and kind of fun. But in most cases, it requires you to be actively aware of the steering wheel position. It's not hard or terribly awkward, but it requires more mental effort than I would like. I always considered Tesla's to be so easy to drive that they almost drive themselves (no pun intended, and am not referring to FSD. Just referring to the ease of driving). Having the yoke almost negates that experience. In prior Tesla's, running errands and driving kids to and from practice were never a chore. I actually looked forward to driving. So far, I don't quite feel that way. I feel like the driving experience requires more mental energy and work because of the yoke
  • Stalkless Experience:
    • Turn signals:
      • Don't want to be heretical, but these are both very bad. As many have speculated here, Tesla took something elementary and made it hard. We all learned around the age of 15 how to use turn signals and we now have to rewire our brains to something that used to be really intuitive. Is it doable? For sure, but like the yoke, it requires more mental alertness and concentration than it should. Detracts from the joy of driving.
      • A lot of people like to point out how Elon and Steve Jobs are great at telling us what we like. We don't always know it until we have it in our hands. That's great for iPhones, but not when it comes to handling a vehicle that is capable of going 200 MPH. Keep it simple and safe.
    • Horn:
      • terrible design decision, IMO. There is room in the middle of the yoke for a horn. Why not just make it honk? I have had two situations in which a horn was necessary. One of them was a close call, cause my right hand was not exactly where it needed to be to honk the horn. I can see this being a problem.
      • My car is still "calibrating" (whatever that means), so I can't let it guess my direction yet. Using the screen is fine, but an unnecessary PITA, IMO. I have once swiped down when I meant to swipe up. Fortunately, no cars were behind me.
  • Getting in an out of the car is harder then I remember on my old MS's. This is not specific to MS Plaid. It is more a function of my age and the fact that I got used to SUV dynamics.

Overall, the car is awesome, but I lament the amount of mental focus it takes to drive. I will give it more time and update, but I am not 100% certain I will be keeping this car.

Sorry to be so negative, but I think it's important to balance the enthusiasm with reality. All this is one dude's opinion based on 24 hours experience, so keep that in mind.
It almost feels like Touch Bar crap on MacBook pros, after years of telling us how great it was, Apple finally decided to get rid of them in upcoming MBPs. Then again, apple is run by mature people and not by some pot smoking manchild

Not that I was expecting much... but the June date that I had on my Plaid order went away today. Back to blank

Plaid Black/White/CF/19” RN1150

Not that I wasn’t 1000% expecting it, but still a letdown.

My other order, a LR 1143 pre-refresh order with same config still blank.

Be interesting to see which one comes first.

What will also be interesting, is that I currently have a lease that is going to be up in December. At the beginning of the year, I was doubting the stupidity of ordering that early and ending up either having to hold onto the extra car until the end of the year, or trade in early and pay a fee. Now I wondering if I’ll have this car by the time the lease is up.
Mine went blank today too :(

We're on our 8th and 9th MS's now, both current (Raven) Performance MS's. Frankly, given the spread of a full $50k between the two MS's now, our next one (currently on order since December of 2020) was a Plaid, but is now "just" an LR. While there have not been any reviews of the LR yet, I strongly suspect that unless you're doing 60-130 mph pulls for YouTube videos, I doubt you'll miss the extra acceleration.

Plus, given your drive cycle, you'll want the range of the LR for those dark, stormy days when you need all the range you can get.

Frankly, it's seems like the LR is 95% of the Plaid for $50k less--a steal in other words . . . .
The other factor for me is that with the Plaid, both the 19 and 21 inch wheels come with (and need) Summer tires. It’s kind of a PITA to have to switch out the wheels twice a year (and store the extra set). With the LR, I can get away with All-seasons. I realize there are many advantages to Summer/Winter tires but with the Plaid, there is no option - it would be silly to have All-seasons.

Finally! Plaid Delivery is scheduled for Monday!
I originally ordered a Performance Model S back in October, but held off and kept my order in place based on "refresh" speculation. Glad I did!
I was told a couple of months ago by my SA that the $8,000 FSD contract price would stay and I would not pay the additional $2,000 for the FSD increase. He also mentioned there was possibly another $2,000 on the table based on the delay. As it's the weekend, I know he's off but I'm curious what others in this situation received. In March my FSD moved up to $10,000, but I made no contract or option changes myself. Did it all become a wash due to the $10,000 price increase which I am not being charged, or were either of the $2,000 discounts also being honored? Thanks and sorry if this was answered in an earlier post(s). I searched and could not find it.

This couple picked up their first Tesla (and it’s a Plaid - what an intro!) and let a YouTuber ride around with them for their first experience. Pretty lovely of them to be honest and awesome to see someone not only new to Plaid but new to Tesla!
That dude needs to extend that wheel! Watching him drive made me cringe

That dude needs to extend that wheel! Watching him drive made me cringe
Chill Mode...really? Okay, fine, we'll cut the guy a break...it's his 1st EV, first Tesla, so he has no idea yet. For me, personally...before I drive off the lot, I will set it to Plaid Mode and likely just leave it there as default, lol. 😜 😎

Def don’t bother with PLA, unless you like the melting plaid emblem effect.

The simplest thing you could do is probably just use asa or abs and bond them together after the fact. You could sand and paint the layers individually and then assemble it. Almost all of the “metal” filaments are PLA based and won’t work well for this.

you need some kind of coating even with most materials with uv resistance, as they almost all fade in the sun. the material may be structurally fine but if untreated it will begin to look like crap over time.

(thanks for attending my 3d printing Ted talk)
The best way to do this is to have a friend in the military coin business that can build a metal one. That would look sharp.

To see if it works?
This is my guess as well. We've seen cars going around the test track at Fremont in the Gabeincal videos, so this could be factory testing, moving it between lots, vehicle loading/unloading, and even moving it around at the SC. I didn't realize the agreement gave actual miles, but I've heard that they quote less than 50 miles for delivery.

• that said, I am coming from MX that has doors that close themselves
  • Exterior looks sharp
  • Yoke experience:
  • Stalkless Experience:
    • Turn signals:
      • Don't want to be heretical, but these are both very bad. As many have speculated here, Tesla took something elementary and made it hard. We all learned around the age of 15 how to use turn signals and we now have to rewire our brains to do something that used to be really intuitive. Is it doable? For sure, but like the yoke, it requires more mental alertness and concentration than it should. Detracts from the joy of driving.
    • Horn:
  • Getting in an out of the car is harder than I remember on my old MS's. This is not specific to MS Plaid. It is more a function of my age and the fact that I got used to SUV dynamics.

Thank you for your review.