Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve seen quite a few posts about plaid vs LR from a cost / value perspective. Many seem to focus on the 50k difference and argue that it’s not worth it. I’m not up to speed on resale value of say LR vs Performance but I would imagine the resale value of the Plaid will hold its value the same as the LR. If so then the 50k difference is not going to cost you 50k more to have owned once you resale the car. What do you think? 3 years from now how much of that 50k will be lost. I pick my plaid up tomorrow and wanted it regardless but have rationalized that I’m not throwing away 50k more.
I assume within 5 years it will have lost at least 60% of what I paid for it. You don't buy something like this new if you can't stomach that.

Those without a VIN, how’re y’all holding it together?
I’m on Day 15 of having a blank date on my Plaid/Red/Cream/CF/21. Not a peep from Tesla in over a month.

I’ve accepted the fact that I’m not getting the car until Sept/Oct at the earliest, though I still look every morning as part of my morning coffee ritual. Must say today was the first day I waivered a little. Saw a delivery post with someone’s Red Plaid and briefly thought, maybe I should switch to wood interior trim if it means getting the car sooner.

Must resist.

I read an article where they were claiming you would only get 300 miles with the top of the line model, priced at 80K. Even the Lariat priced around 60K would only get you 230 miles. A Cybertruck with tri-motor that get 500 miles and beats the Ford in every metric with full FSD would still be cheaper.
I guess it’ll be interesting to see when both trucks actually come out. I already feel bad for the cybertruck guys that will have to go through the same debacle as we are right now with MS.

I’m on Day 15 of having a blank date on my Plaid/Red/Cream/CF/21. Not a peep from Tesla in over a month.

I’ve accepted the fact that I’m not getting the car until Sept/Oct at the earliest, though I still look every morning as part of my morning coffee ritual. Must say today was the first day I waivered a little. Saw a delivery post with someone’s Red Plaid and briefly thought, maybe I should switch to wood interior trim if it means getting the car sooner.

Must resist.
I’m with you. I ordered in January pre-refresh and have had a blank estimated delivery date since then for all but 48 hours. My SA is unresponsive. Haven’t gotten any offer to switch configurations for faster delivery. But in any case, I think it’s worth waiting a bit longer for my desired config. Would just be nice to have a little more info on when to expect the car.

That's what Dragtimes is for! He runs all kinds of tests, including how the car performs at different SOCs. He gets his car this wee

Logic and history dictates otherwise. The facts show us demand is not that high, with several June orders getting delivered the same month they were placed. As you say, time will tell, but I certainly wouldn’t go into the purchase assuming your car will hold its value better. You need to be prepared for rapid and significant depreciation and be okay with that. It is the price you must be willing to pay for the fastest production car available. I fully accepted this reality when I was planning on a Plaid purchase.

Not sure. History may not dictate how this goes, as this is different than the past. Tesla has broken a technological barrier (9.2 @ 153 mph.....that is Alien!) and has no competition at this performance level (maybe Lucid but not sure). Tesla's in the past slowed down above 60 mph. This one does not, and it fact is faster than any other production car out there. Low speed, high speed, doesn't matter. It destroys. Not sure ICE cars can compete with this. They will get a competition but I am not sure it will be for a while. We will see!

Last edited:
OK, time for Delivery related material..... With enough people starting to take delivery, lets start the checklist for the rest of us that we need to look for at time of delivery.
  • Panel Gaps(standard tesla)
  • Paint imperfections(Standard tesla)
  • Scratched rear glass(seen a couple of those mentioned on refresh)
What else is being seen specific to this initial run of MS Refreshes?

As usual, BLANK(5 days running). Ordered 3/6. MSM, Black, Arachnid, FSD so in theory have had the ideal config from the getgo.....

I listened very closely to that video and others posted on the Ford site. Apparently they are using one of their 9 motors to spin up a flywheel. You can hear it several seconds before the drag runs starting to spool then really ramping up just before the launch. They are storing a bunch of kinetic energy then likely using a programmed clutch engagement (think funny or top fueler) to feed that power to the rears at the limit of traction.

Neat solution to the battery supplying impulse energy problem. Not worth a hoot in a daily driver but hugely good PR for Ford as it lets them feed their base with a Plaid beater.
So what happens when Ford customers try to place their orders for that electric "Tesla Plaid beating" Mustang dragster and they realize it's not for sale and doesn't exist, lol? 😜

Last edited:
Please do not take my comment for a defense of Tesla. I have a laundry list of fairly bad behavior by the busniness side of the company. My comment was driven by the very positive interactions with the car and the folks on the service side (a little scatter brained but always kind and trying to be helpful). I've found those sides of the company make the total interaction a large positive for me but I do actively avoid any interaction with the business side of the house. When I do have to engage them, like when buying another car, my expectations are beyond low, I know I will be fed a line of garbage and I'm always wary of which end of the snake I'm picking up.

Must resist.
Resist!

I’ve seen quite a few posts about plaid vs LR from a cost / value perspective. Many seem to focus on the 50k difference and argue that it’s not worth it. I’m not up to speed on resale value of say LR vs Performance but I would imagine the resale value of the Plaid will hold its value the same as the LR. If so then the 50k difference is not going to cost you 50k more to have owned once you resale the car. What do you think? 3 years from now how much of that 50k will be lost. I pick my plaid up tomorrow and wanted it regardless but have rationalized that I’m not throwing away 50k more.
I was told there would be no math in this discussion thread. I'm getting my Plaid and will likely keep it for 3+ years, trading it in at that point with likely 50k+ miles on it ! Hoping I can get 60%+ of the price I paid when I trade in or sell it. I'm sure the resale/trade-in value will be better than my last EV I just sold for $40k after paying > $92k for it just a little over 2 years before. 😒

Last edited:
DELIVERY!! I took delivery of my Plaid yesterday afternoon in Nashville and heading back to Mississppi with it today.. As a first time Tesla owner, I will say that this car most definitely does not disappoint. Here are my first thoughts:

Fit, finish, and material are really, really good. This looks and feels like a high dollar luxury vehicle should, compared to the upper-end mostly German made vehicles I’ve owned. And it most definitely looks better in person than the renderings do, and actually looks better than most pictures I’ve seen, especially the interior.

I am one of the ones that was able to swap to the ebony wood interior trim (from carbon fiber) with the all black interior. And I’m 100% happy with the wood. looks really good IMO. Looks darker in person than in a lot of the pictures and compliments the all black interior very well.

Screens are beautiful and extremely responsive. The GUI seems super easy to navigate for me.

Yoke steering with buttons and no stalk controls seemed very intuitive to me. Felt comfortable and predictable on day one. I’m sure it’ll only get better. But the “cool factor” is well worth what may be a slight learning curve.

The instant power on this beast is indescribably insane and fun. It can literally just slam you hard back in to the seat at the brush of the accelerator, both from a stop and while rolling at interstate speeds. But at the same time it’s amazingly easy to control and very predictable.

Ride quality is exactly what I was looking for. Very smooth, yet definitely high performance. Pretty cool that they were able to get such a good blend of comfort and handling IMO.

Ambient light includes door pocket lighting and foot well lighting front and rear. I think I remember someone earlier mentioning that it was just the door pockets.

A few little glitches here and there: scratch on the back glass (already scheduled for replacement), driver’s exterior handle sticking in the out position sometimes, a little sag in the clear coat on the front edges of the front fenders (it should wet-sand out when I have the paint corrected and coated), software updates that needed to be installed immediately etc. But nothing I’m disappointed in at all as an early adopter delivery. And Tesla seems 100% ready to repair or replace anything.

All in all, I am very pleased with this purchase and looking forward to many miles of smiles with it. Well worth any wait, even though it only ended up being a couple of months for me. Refresh S’s are definitely being produced and delivered. If you haven’t got yours yet, please just hang in there. You will NOT be disappointed.. You can thank me later if this helped keep you onboard with your order. Lol

Sort of annoyed to hear about the door handle. They've had those things on the car for like 8+ years. At this point they should be so incredibly reliable that no one should have any issues whatsoever well into 5+ years of ownership. I sort of wished they switched them out as usually the door handles were the most frequently failing part.

Please let us know if/when you get it fixed and come back in a few months and let us know if they are still working correctly.

OK, time for Delivery related material..... With enough people starting to take delivery, lets start the checklist for the rest of us that we need to look for at time of delivery.
  • Panel Gaps(standard tesla)
  • Paint imperfections(Standard tesla)
  • Scratched rear glass(seen a couple of those mentioned on refresh)
What else is being seen specific to this initial run of MS Refreshes?

As usual, BLANK(5 days running). Ordered 3/6. MSM, Black, Arachnid, FSD so in theory have had the ideal config from the getgo.....
What interior? I’m going to guess CF

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Yes, as @croman said - history tells us that Performance cars suffer from significantly greater depreciation. I bought my 17 month old Ludicrous P90D with 14,000 miles on it for $60,000 off of sticker. Then, the price proceeded to drop like a brick, because Tesla started significantly discounting performance cars, and offered Ludicrous for free. The most expensive trims always depreciate the fastest. You just need to accept this reality and know it is the cost of owning the latest and greatest.

I fully expect the extra $10k that Tesla just raised the Plaid by to soon disappear once initial demand dies off. Tesla has a history of making dramatic price shifts on its newest and greatest technology, and the frequency of its price shifts seem unprecedented in the automotive industry. Most automotive companies wait for the next model year to change pricing, but with Tesla it happens consistently throughout the year.
Maybe, EXCEPT we're currently in a very unique situation in terms of the used car market (especially Teslas and other high-demand EVs) where the values of good used cars has been steadily going UP not down. 👍 But, we'll see how long this lasts.

Reactions: HumanInput
Sort of annoyed to hear about the door handle. They've had those things on the car for like 8+ years. At this point they should be so incredibly reliable that no one should have any issues whatsoever well into 5+ years of ownership. I sort of wished they switched them out as usually the door handles were the most frequently failing part.

Please let us know if/when you get it fixed and come back in a few months and let us know if they are still working correctly.
I'm cautiously optimistic that will be a rare issue for most refresh owners, as I haven't seen as many complaints on the latter revs of the door handles.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Maybe, EXCEPT we're currently in a very unique situation in terms of the used car market (especially Teslas and other high-demand EVs) where the values of good used cars has been steadily going UP not down. 👍 But, we'll see how long this lasts.
You are certainly right about that! This is definitely an anomaly and unprecedented in recent used car history. I certainly wouldn’t expect the same conditions to exist 3 years from now when you plan to sell your Plaid.