Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read an article where they were claiming you would only get 300 miles with the top of the line model, priced at 80K. Even the Lariat priced around 60K would only get you 230 miles. A Cybertruck with tri-motor that get 500 miles and beats the Ford in every metric with full FSD would still be cheaper.

You don't need to get the top of the line to get the bigger battery.

Cybertruck is still vaporware. Tesla over-promises / under delivers on range, historically. Ford, so far, is bang on target if not conservative.

300 miles of real world range with payload is fine for 50-70% of users. This truck will sell like hotcakes. As soon as someone rocks up at a tailgate with a frunk full of beers, and a full sound system and TV running off the battery, these will go flying out the door.

Less than 2 sec 0-60 with a 1 ft. roll out. Car is as advertised!

60-130 mph in 4.5 seconds.

100-150 mph in 4.5 seconds.

Amazing, game changing numbers.

I wish he would post the slope in this video, but I am believing these numbers are legit!
I didn't see where in that video it showed the slope of the road he was on when he posted those numbers. I'd hate to see a bunch of celebratory "I told you so" from a street video, when all of the 1/4 mile track videos have not produced these results. I bet lots of cars perform better than expected going down hill.

I remember back when there were many on this forum who thought Elon would just stop making the Model S (based on some comments he had made at the time) and allow Porsche to take control of the high end EV market with its new Taycan. It appears my following post made on July 31, 2019 in the previously long-running "imminent" thread, has held up fairly well. Obviously, my projected timing was off but there is no accounting for Elon time:

It may be wishful thinking but I just don't see Elon ceding the market to the Taycan (I understand some believe the Taycan is closer in size to the Model 3 but pricing is certainly closer to the S). The Model S is Elon's baby - it is what brought the company to this point in time to where it has the ability to dominate the BEV market. With the recent announcement of the Taycan having 30,000 reservations, I have a hard time believing Tesla will allow this segment of the market to slip away from them.

From a strategic standpoint, wouldn't it make the most sense to allow Porsche to fully announce the Taycan (with all of its specs and pricing) and then shortly thereafter announce an update (not a "refresh") that makes the Taycan look like outdated technology. With Porsche's rollout of the Taycan due in September, the end of the federal tax credits on December 31, moving the battery investor day to early next year together with CraZ8's info indicating an update has been moved to the first quarter all add up to something significant happening in early 2020 for the Model S.

I didn't see where in that video it showed the slope of the road he was on when he posted those numbers. I'd hate to see a bunch of celebratory "I told you so" from a street video, when all of the 1/4 mile track videos have not produced these results. I bet lots of cars perform better than expected going down hill.

He posted the slope on IG. He showed the entire dragy result. Slope was -0.3%.

Looks like Ford is trying hard to be relevant LMAO
I believe the Ford Mach-E has been fairly well received and people are buying/driving it; it's not for me personally but it seems to be okay and they have the upgraded, more powerful Mach-E GT coming out soon if it's not out already...decent power, range, ext looks and interior trims. Just not for me but Ford is in the EV game and with the new Lightning arriving soon, they'll do just fine.

Yes, as @croman said - history tells us that Performance cars suffer from significantly greater depreciation. I bought my 17 month old Ludicrous P90D with 14,000 miles on it for $60,000 off of sticker. Then, the price proceeded to drop like a brick, because Tesla started significantly discounting performance cars, and offered Ludicrous for free. The most expensive trims always depreciate the fastest. You just need to accept this reality and know it is the cost of owning the latest and greatest.

I fully expect the extra $10k that Tesla just raised the Plaid by to soon disappear once initial demand dies off. Tesla has a history of making dramatic price shifts on its newest and greatest technology, and the frequency of its price shifts seem unprecedented in the automotive industry. Most automotive companies wait for the next model year to change pricing, but with Tesla it happens consistently throughout the year.
I think a large reason to why those dropped so hard is because tesla kept improving at a faster pace then. The p100d came out like 1 year after the p90d, then the raven performance after the p100d, then price drops. Unless the new battery comes out sooner than later in the model s or any other significant upgrades i dont see it dropping in price as hard

I think a large reason to why those dropped so hard is because tesla kept improving at a faster pace then. The p100d came out like 1 year after the p90d, then the raven performance after the p100d, then price drops. Unless the new battery comes out sooner than later in the model s or any other significant upgrades i dont see it dropping in price as hard
You hit the nail on the head, and the technological innovation will continue unabated. Three years from now when Plaids have 4680 structural batteries and 520 miles of range, nobody will want a 2021 Plaid. There will be plenty of bargain basement 2021 Plaids on the used car market.

There is never a good time to buy, because Tesla has turned the automotive market upside down with rapid innovation that has destroyed the incremental improvement ethos. If you are buying a car this expensive, you just need to accept that high end cars are rapidly depreciating assets. Especially ones with rapid technological innovation. Enjoy your car, but don’t expect it to hold its value.

Last edited:
Is that a slope for the duration of the dragy run or just the first 100 feet where he gets to 60mph? If it is an average, it still doesn't tell us what we need to know.

Best to be done at a track then all questions are gone (I think it is an average). I think the numbers will prove to be legit because someone else got similar numbers at the drag strip yesterday.

Regardless, I think the numbers will be close and I would not say there is a major slope in that road as originally feared (by me as well).

You hit the nail on the head, and the technological innovation will continue unabated. Three years from now when Plaids have 4680 structural batteries and 520 miles of range, nobody will want a 2021 Plaid. There will be plenty of bargain basement 2021 Plaids on the used car market.

There is never a good time to buy, because Tesla has turned the automotive market upside down with rapid innovation that has destroyed the incremental improvement ethos. If you are buying a car this expensive, you just need to accept that high end cars are rapidly depreciating assets. Especially ones with rapid technological innovation.
Yeah, buyers should keep in mind that with the rapid pace of innovation on these cars, your Tesla is basically an antique shortly after you drive it off the lot. 😝

There is never a good time to buy, because Tesla has turned the automotive market upside down with rapid innovation that has destroyed the incremental improvement ethos. If you are buying a car this expensive, you just need to accept that high end cars are rapidly depreciating assets. Especially ones with rapid technological innovation.
Perfect synopsis!
Never understood depreciating entities as an investment. Unless of course you are clairvoyant and knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Camaro you just bought in the fall of 1969 was going to be worth 100 times the sticker price, 30 years later.
Obviously that is an oversimplification on my part, just always thought of cars as paying for the joy of having it for a while.

Best to be done at a track then all questions are gone (I think it is an average). I think the numbers will prove to be legit because someone else got similar numbers at the drag strip yesterday.

Regardless, I think the numbers will be close and I would not say there is a major slope in that road as originally feared (by me as well).
Can you guys believe that this thing just went like 1.97 second 0-60 ON THE STREET!🙂

There is never a good time to buy, because Tesla has turned the automotive market upside down with rapid innovation that has destroyed the incremental improvement ethos. If you are buying a car this expensive, you just need to accept that high end cars are rapidly depreciating assets. Especially ones with rapid technological innovation. Enjoy your car, but don’t expect it to hold its value.

yea, 3 years from now. I thought we were talking more near term (like within a year). If the 4680 cells make the car better, I will want it!

I think the next big breakthrough for Teslas will be a 1000v architecture and the 4680s. At that point, we have the technology to transition everyone over to EVs. Charging should take 10 minutes, range could be up to 400+ on the 3/Y and cost should be much less. You're talking about a 3/Y at $40k and a 300 mile car at $25k.

If these politicians get their *sugar* together and stop playing games this could be accelerated.

But who knows when this will be. My guess is 2025, don't think the 4680s are ready for prime time.

I’m only holding onto my plaid for a few months until my Hummer EV edition one comes in so I’m hoping with the $10k discount I shouldn’t really get hurt too bad