Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And as a general statement to the many folks who have said this, it helps no one to hear platitudes about the car being worth the wait. That message isn't going to soothe any impatient souls, or help fix the messed up situation that Tesla has sown from their deceit and false timelines. People come on here to vent and commiserate. I say let 'em.
I’m not gonna lie, I’d rather hear ‘the car is worth the wait’ vs. the car is not worth the wait. Hearing the message over and over again is probably helping me subconsciously ha.

Okay, I need to chill and quit letting this *sugar* get to me. Deleted my silly comment. This isn't worth lashing out at each other when it's Tesla that's responsible for poor communication. No need for me to get into it with other users because what can they do. Everyone deals with stuff differently. I am not a very patient person but I guess this experience will turn me into one 😉
Need to quit checking my account for my own sanity's sake.
Yup I think it’s making us all a little nutty lately. Good self control 👍

The Scottsdale SA’s have no clue about any 19” delays. Said I could switch to 21’s but would loose my 2K pre-refresh discount and go to back of the line. I’m pretty sure that’s not true. Tesla please call and offer me 21’s. Because if it’s October till we see 19’s I’ll probably wait for a Jan 22 model. Hate to buy end of year models unless it comes with a 10% discount.

My account still shows July. I don't know how folks who aren't on TMC are dealing with the delays and perpetual monkeying around--it's hard enough with the insights in this thread, I can't imagine being blind on it.

If Tesla had some semblance of deliveries happening in a specific order, or was able to assign everyone a delivery range based on batch or something, that communication would do so much to make things easier. Instead, we have folks getting VINs out of the blue and a cycle of account refreshes that inevitably lead to nothing.

I was hoping to have the car for a trip in the 3rd or 4th week of July, but rather than knowing one way or the other, I'm stuck in limbo like everyone else.

I’m just afraid of these dates slipping into October… then next thing you know, ANOTHER REFRESH. Release those new batteries with a $10k increase, give out $2k incentive to upgrade to refresh model, stop making current models. It’ll then be July 2022 and I’ll be sitting here with this thread open in one tab, refreshing my account in another.

Certainly possible, but having a Porsche Macan Turbo that was only worth < 50% of it's value in just 3 years + my Jag I-Pace EV got crushed in value in just over 2 years, I suppose it's to be expected with any of these high-end cars approaching & now exceeding $100k.
If the high-end cars are traded in to dealers, then be prepared for max pain.
If a Tesla owner wants to trade in the car to Tesla, then just pull those pants down because Tesla is about to treat you like their bitchhh. Lol it’s bad.

Agreed, I’m not gonna die if I don’t get my car tomorrow. However, another couple of weeks of blank and my health could start deteriorating real quick. 🥱..
The 19” wheel nonsense is what’s bothering me. Tesla didn’t know prior to the 10th that they weren’t going to be shipping 19s until later ? I’m saying BS on that one.

Maybe a baseball cap will work 🤣😄
I think with this caliber car, a derby would be more apropos.

The Scottsdale SA’s have no clue about any 19” delays. Said I could switch to 21’s but would loose my 2K pre-refresh discount and go to back of the line. I’m pretty sure that’s not true. Tesla please call and offer me 21’s. Because if it’s October till we see 19’s I’ll probably wait for a Jan 22 model. Hate to buy end of year models unless it comes with a 10% discount.
There won’t be a 10% discount on refresh anytime soon .. There’s a better chance Elon calls all of us, apologizes for the delays, agrees to comp all 19” orders with 21s, and says he will personally deliver to our homes sometime next week 🤩
Edit: the SAs at different locations are not on the same page.

Last edited:
Emailed an SA asking if they can explain the VIN assignment process, finally got some answers 👽

8D507D06-37BE-43A8-B50F-AA6FC9FF4355.jpeg

Personally, I find that it’s all about expectation-setting at the time of ordering. If someone placed an order in, say, early June, and Tesla shows delivery of June, I could understand the frustration when July rolls around and the person doesn’t yet have delivery of their order.
This.

I ordered a plaid+ right after it was announced. I never expected to get it even in late 2021, and I was fine with that. Then plaid+ is cancelled and I’m asked to change to plaid. Fine. Whatever. Refund my $1,000 you’ve been sitting on for almost a year and take my $100. I’ll wait.

Ah, but then everything went crazy. My magic-page-that-must-be-refreshed could not seem to decide between August and June for a few days before settling on June... but now it’s July, my date is blank, folks who ordered well after I did are driving around, and I’m sitting on a quote for my P90DL. I’m far more annoyed about this than I was watching Plaid+ slip from late 2021 to early 2022.

Expectations, man. Isn’t there a song about this?

I got my car PPFd right after delivery in 2016 and my installer said it was preferred because they can better paint correct and it turned out great.

Not a tax pro but I think you and your buyer will be paying taxes and your sale will likely be also a taxable event as income.
No taxable income event for this gentleman, unless he's in the business of buying/selling cars, but yes there will be sales tax paid on both transactions.

Okay, I need to chill and quit letting this *sugar* get to me. Deleted my silly comment. This isn't worth lashing out at each other when it's Tesla that's responsible for poor communication. No need for me to get into it with other users because what can they do. Everyone deals with stuff differently. I am not a very patient person but I guess this experience will turn me into one 😉
Need to quit checking my account for my own sanity's sake.

That is good to be optimistic but I am no more patient than when I started the process... :D

I kept in contact with my local sales guy, asking him when I would get my car. After telling me to be patient, stating that the car would be built soon he blurted out that there were 2 available cars in Austin. One white, cream, wood with 21's. The other was silver, cream, CF with 21's. My order was for red, white, CF with 21's.

Decided to go with white. Tesla still kept my price at the lower amount and deducted for the paint change.

With the black-out trim, it looks like a stormtrooper.

TIP.. contact your local Tesla store and ask them to check inventory for available cars. As of Saturday, the silver car was on the floor in the Austin showroom at the Domain.

51292344850_be0660c46e_b.jpg

Reactions: SoCalrancher
Woah! Why didn't I think of doing just that? You're so smart lol Of course, there are people who have placed orders way before me. They deserve to get their cars way before me but we both know that isn't happening since Tesla is busy delivering to people who ordered a week ago 😂
When there are people who got their cars on a week's notice then the least Tesla can do is to communicate with customers who've been waiting longer. Now, to you this must be how a company needs to treat its customer and its fully acceptable but to anyone with multiple brain cells this isn't a way to do business. And frankly telling people they need to be okay with it or cancel the order is a dick move and makes you look like a cultist nut hugger.
Name calling???????????

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
To be fair, this isn't even remotely the same thing. The Model 3 was a completely new platform, and Tesla really didn't make any crazy promises about it being available right away (though there were delays). Compare that to the MS refresh, which was offered for sale on 1/27, reported to be "in production now with deliveries starting in March". Tesla knows better than to make statements like that, and if they honestly don't, they should.

I mean, I've had a Cybertruck order for going on 380(ish) days now, and I fully expect to wait until 2023 to get my car. Despite this, I have zero angst about the way that rollout is being handled, even with Tesla already behind their timelines. Because, again, the narrative is different. It's very obvious to everyone that Tesla clearly has no intention of actually delivering these things for a long, long time.

And as a general statement to the many folks who have said this, it helps no one to hear platitudes about the car being worth the wait. That message isn't going to soothe any impatient souls, or help fix the messed up situation that Tesla has sown from their deceit and false timelines. People come on here to vent and commiserate. I say let 'em.
No but it helps me tremendously to know that the car actually works well and is put together better than previous S'. In the absence of this feedback, I would not have pursued the Plaid (in place of the +) and would not have ordered the LR to replace my wife's S90D. For me the "it's worth the wait" is very helpful.

I feel like supporting a member who’s dealing with anger is more productive than more talk about 19 vs 21 or “post draggy results” as if anyone is modding their cars to get any better results lol. We’re comparing the same damn cars over and over and over, same exterior pics, same interior pics, same draggy results. They’re all just duplicates of each other due to limited customizations offered by Tesla.
Agreed but I do appreciate first and second impressions as members/owners come from such varied backgrounds and ownership experiences. I learn a little more with each write up albeit the fresh information is falling off. It's also kinda nice to see someone new happy about getting their car; that really never gets old for me. I'm living vicariously ........

I often go to my car at lunch. If I sit in it for a few minutes, I can feel the heat from the roof as the sides have those collapsible screens up.
Yes, although I find the roof to be surprisingly effective while driving with the AC on (oftentimes I really don't even notice the sun above), if the car is stopped and no AC on, it does get hot inside just like other cars for sure.