Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WAIT. WHAT? Is that guy sitting in the backseat and having the MS Plaid drive the car with FSD to CVS???? I thought this was impossible. Or was that only because he's already in the CVS parking lot? šŸ¤” o_O I though even with FSD, you have to be sitting in the driver's seat? I'm confused.
This is a critique lots of news/magazines make of Tesla. The interior camera isnā€™t enforced yet, so only weight on the steering wheel is neededā€”which is relatively easy to defeat if you want to.

The issue I have is that lots of other driver assistance tech also works only with steering wheel responses. Teslaā€™s is just so good that people abuse it and it makes the news.

Tesla Survey

Tldr: Tesla and I need to go to therapy for communication issues.

---

Wow. Where do I begin?

I would like to preface this by saying that this is NOT directed at ANY service/delivery center. I have been treated with the upmost respect by everyone at Springfield and other locations. If anyone is reading this from a Delivery Center, I warn you, proceed at your own risk. I am about to be brutally honest and I have some harsh words. If this IS directed to a Delivery Center, I advise you to direct it to the correct parties which is TESLA HEADQUARTERS AND THE GUY WHO MADE THE DECISION TO KEEP CUSTOMERS IN THE DARK ABOUT AN $80,000+ CAR!

I will begin.

To whom this may concern,

I ordered my Model S Refresh on January 28th, 2021. I was told deliveries would begin in late February to Early March, 2021 AD. I emphasis AD because those days came and went, both physically and on my profile. I was even told that my car would be delivered soon and in order to KEEP my place in line I would have to apply for financing, which I did. My credit was pulled by every conceivable bank. This was in Februaryā€¦. After applying for financing, I was told to upload my insurance, but without a VIN, it served difficult, so I was told to upload my existing insurance. I did everything that was asked and then the myserteous happenedā€¦ Silence.

I was not just the lack of noise type of silence. It was the LOUD kind of silence. The kind of silence that Iā€™d expect from my in-laws not from a company that I am paying to receive a product from. The problem wasnā€™t that I was kept in the dark regarding my future (still yet to be delivered) car. The problem was and still is that Tesla Employees donā€™t even know or have ANY clue what is going on! And that is NOT their fault! I cannot even imagine the kind of phone calls they have been receiving about this lack of communication. The lack of communication is so bad that even therapy is out of the question on how far gone it has become.

In late May after several Trade-in offers expired and money lost on the value of my current car, I was finally given a date for delivery. Still no VIN, but hey, Iā€™ll take what I can get, right? June 1 - 30th. I was told to apply for financing again. I did, and my credit again was pulled 7 times and did not consolidate into one hit. My score dropped 25 points. That time it was my fault. I should have waited for a VIN.. but as the saying goes.. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twiceā€¦ strike three.

After being approved a second time. My delivery date range magically disappeared. Just like my virginity, it was gone too soon. I didnā€™t even have enough time to relish in the glory of having a date! At this point, my emotions went to the gutter. I found myself photoshopping and editing code on the website to make it LOOK like I had a date. It was getting out of hand. I was caught several times by Family Members refreshing my page countless times. They had to sit me down. An intervention they called it. All of this suffering and still no date.

I called and called and it got to the point that Tesla Employees wouldnā€™t even look at my account anymore. They just told me ā€œit is what it isā€. I felt like I was part of the mob and I was about to taken out for my persistence in wanting this car.

Where am I at now?

7 months later and still donā€™t have a delivery date or VIN. My second round of financing expired days ago. My trade in has lost value since the first appraisal. I started drinking Teslquila in hopes to appease the powers that be. But alas, it is not working. Most nights I sit in solitude, endlessly refreshing a page that will not refresh.

To wrap up.

Delays can happen. They do happen. It has happened. They are acceptable and common. Especially during a chip shortage.

What is not acceptable is leaving customers in the dark. Not allowing them access to information. Misleading them into having their credit pulled. Putting dates and removing them from profiles. Delivering cars to customers who ordered AFTER others (in some cases, way after).

If Tesla is to be successful, which we all hope they are, something needs to change. Communication needs to change. Policies on how customers GET information need to change. Believe it or not, if I want to get a hold of my Sales Advisor, I have to call the main line, get a hold of someone at a Call Center, put in a request to have my Sales Advisor call me and pray it gets through. That is no way to handle a customer experience. Tesla cannot rely on the ā€œcoolā€ factor of their car to keep customers in line. At some point in time, the experience will wear on people and it will reflect onto sales. Patience will run out and the games will hurt Tesla and not help.

I am a repeat customer. Not one time over, not even two times over. I have 9 Teslaā€™s attached to my account. 6 cars taken delivery in my family and 3 orders waiting to be filled. Yes, Tesla has me hooked. But if you think I am writing for my own benefit, youā€™d be wrong. I am writing on behalf of everyone, past, present and future customers. I am writing on behalf of Share Holders, investors, buyers, owners, explorers. If they all had the same experience I had, things do not bode well for Tesla.

I donā€™t expect a response. I actually expect this to be read, forwarded and filed away into some obscure folder never to be read again. I am not sure if that is wrong, right or just plain sad.

I hope things can change. In any relationship, communication is the hardest part. Ignoring is easy, but acknowledging there is an issue is the hard part. We are all in this together.

On behalf of myself, online customers, friends and family, we are open to change and we hope things can turn out better for both us and Tesla.

Sam

Edit: The deed is done.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 2.24.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 2.24.34 PM.png
    417.8 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
I need to test a bit more, but I do believe radar detector forward sensitivity is greatly reduced in the new S due to some change to the windshield. I am not picking up Ka signals until I'm much closer to the source, and rear sensitivity seems to be much higher than forward, which adds to the evidence there is something metallic about the windshield. I'm going to mount the detector in the bottom right corner of the windshield as a test when I have some time.
very interested. I have equipment to test this with, but no plaid to test on lol

Tesla Survey

---

Wow. Where do I begin?

I would like to preface this by saying that this is NOT directed at ANY service/delivery center. I have been treated with the upmost respect by everyone at Springfield and other locations. If anyone is reading this from a Delivery Center, I warn you, proceed at your own risk. I am about to be brutally honest and I have some harsh words. If this IS directed to a Delivery Center, I advise you to direct it to the correct parties which is TESLA HEADQUARTERS AND THE GUY WHO MADE THE DECISION TO KEEP CUSTOMERS IN THE DARK ABOUT AN $80,000+ CAR!

I will begin.

I ordered my Model S Refresh on January 28th, 2021. I was told deliveries would begin in late February to Early March, 2021 AD. I emphasis AD because those days came and went, both physically and on my profile. I was even told that my car would be delivered soon and in order to KEEP my place in line I would have to apply for financing, which I did. My credit was pulled by every conceivable bank. This was in Februaryā€¦. After applying for financing, I was told to upload my insurance, but without a VIN, it served difficult, so I was told to upload my existing insurance. I did everything that was asked and then the myserteous happenedā€¦ Silence.

I was not just the lack of noise type of silence. It was the LOUD kind of silence. The kind of silence that Iā€™d expect from my in-laws not from a company that I am paying to receive a product from. The problem wasnā€™t that I was kept in the dark regarding my future (still yet to be delivered) car. The problem was and still is that Tesla Employees donā€™t even know or have ANY clue what is going on! And that is NOT their fault! I cannot even imagine the kind of phone calls they have been receiving about this lack of communication. The lack of communication is so bad that even therapy is out of the question on how far gone it has become.

In late May after several Trade-in offers expired and money lost on the value of my current car, I was finally given a date for delivery. Still no VIN, but hey, Iā€™ll take what I can get, right? June 1 - 30th. I was told to apply for financing again. I did, and my credit again was pulled 7 times and did not consolidate into one hit. My score dropped 25 points. That time it was my fault. I should have waited for a VIN.. but as the saying goes.. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twiceā€¦ strike three.

After being approved a second time. My delivery date range magically disappeared. Just like my virginity, it was gone too soon. I didnā€™t even have enough time to relish in the glory of having a date! At this point, my emotions went to the gutter. I found myself photoshopping and editing code on the website to make it LOOK like I had a date. It was getting out of hand. I was caught several times by Family Members refreshing my page countless times. They had to sit me down. An intervention they called it. All of this suffering and still no date.

I called and called and it got to the point that Tesla Employees wouldnā€™t even look at my account anymore. They just told me ā€œit is what it isā€. I felt like I was part of the mob and I was about to taken out for my persistence in wanting this car.

Where am I at now?

7 months later and still donā€™t have a delivery date or VIN. My second round of financing expired days ago. My trade in has lost value since the first appraisal. I started drinking Teslquila in hopes to appease the powers that be. But alas, it is not working. Most nights I sit in solitude, endlessly refreshing a page that will not refresh.

To wrap up.

Delays can happen. They do happen. It has happened. They are acceptable and common. Especially during a chip shortage.

What is not acceptable is leaving customers in the dark. Not allowing them access to information. Misleading them into having their credit pulled. Putting dates and removing them from profiles. Delivering cars to customers who ordered AFTER others (in some cases, way after).

If Tesla is to be successful, which we all hope they are, something needs to change. Communication needs to change. Policies on how customers GET information need to change. Believe it or not, if I want to get a hold of my Sales Advisor, I have to call the main line, get a hold of someone at a Call Center, put in a request to have my Sales Advisor call me and pray it gets through. That is no way to handle a customer experience. Tesla cannot rely on the ā€œcoolā€ factor of their car to keep customers in line. At some point in time, the experience will wear on people and it will reflect onto sales. Patience will run out and the games will hurt Tesla and not help.

I am a repeat customer. Not one time over, not even two times over. I have 9 Teslaā€™s attached to my account. 6 cars taken delivery in my family and 3 orders waiting to be filled. Yes, Tesla has me hooked. But if you think I am writing for my own benefit, youā€™d be wrong. I am writing on behalf of everyone, past, present and future customers. I am writing on behalf of Share Holders, investors, buyers, owners, explorers. If they all had the same experience I had, things do not bode well for Tesla.

I donā€™t expect a response. I actually expect this to be read, forwarded and filed away into some obscure folder never to be read again. I am not sure if that is wrong, right or just plain sad.

I hope things can change. In any relationship, communication is the hardest part. Ignoring is easy, but acknowledging there is an issue is the hard part. We are all in this together.

On behalf of myself, online customers, friends and family, we are open to change and we hope things can turn out better for both us and Tesla.

Sam

Just Plaid Sad.... When the family intervention happens, I can now confidently retort back saying I am not the only one... . But seriously, hope you get your car soon and pretty sure you will enjoy it. :D

Does anyone here know how I can mute this gross and off-topic argument about whether women are mercenary or just stupid? For the record, most of us are neither - just like most men who buy $100,000+ cars aren't compensating...
I recommend adding your perspective like you did. It is welcome and as you can see somewhat needed.

Has anyone with a recent Plaid delivery notice a loss in their battery charging capacity? Right after the last software update I notice my 90percent charge capacity dropped from 354 miles to 318. I am not sure whatā€™s going on. Also my battery seems to lose 6-7 miles/ day while just sitting in my garage. Anyone notice these issues?
According to the listed miles on Tesla website, Plaid is supposed to give 348 miles at 100% charge and at 90% charge you're supposed to be getting around 318 miles. If it was showing 348 at 90% charge before then it must be the result of poor calibration in the previous software as Omarsultan already mentioned that after the update and after using the car for a few weeks the battery mileage is now more accurate. You should not expect more than 348 miles at 100% charge if you have a Plaid. LR gives 406 miles at 100% charge. Hope this answers your question

According to the listed miles on Tesla website, Plaid is supposed to give 348 miles at 100% charge and at 90% charge you're supposed to be getting around 318 miles. If it was showing 348 at 90% charge before then it must be the result of poor calibration in the previous software as Omarsultan already mentioned that after the update and after using the car for a few weeks the battery mileage is now more accurate. You should not expect more than 348 miles at 100% charge if you have a Plaid. LR gives 406 miles at 100% charge. Hope this answers your question

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Is there are maximum radius that the ā€œSummon Modeā€ feature works? In other words, if I go to a sporting event and have to park 1/2 mi away, will the Summon Mode work to come pick me up? Or will it only work way within 100 yards or whatever? Thank you.
Smart Summon works with your Tesla app and your phoneā€™s GPS to operate. You must be within approximately 200 feet of your car to use.

For recent Plaid deliveries I noticed a significant squeak/rattle coming from the interior when driving over minor road imperfections. I just found it itā€™s the computer screen. If I put my hand on the screen the rattle stops immediately. Taking it in Thursday to have this corrected. Otherwise the car is PERFECT. Iā€™m have a thrill driving this. Itā€™s a lot faster than my Lamborghini and it leaves me with a huge smile on my face.

Back in 2018 and early 2019, I would bring my MS in for service and I would automatically get an S loaner car. I didnā€™t need to ask or do anything, it just happened. After the Model 3 ramp, Tesla could no longer provide the same type of service and they slowly started altering their offerings. They eliminated Tesla loaners and started offering cheap ICE cars as loaners. About 6 months later, they eliminated the ICE loaner cars and offered Uber credits. I donā€™t see any way around this at my service centers because they no longer have access to loaner cars. I would assume Tesla did this nationwide, but I can only speak to what I have experienced here in San Diego.

The good news is there really shouldnā€™t be that much service aside from any initial quality control issues you might have. In four years, I only brought my car in a couple of times. Once for a failed washer fluid pump, and the other times for some minor squeaks and rattles.
Still get loaners in Salt Lake City. Not sure how they decide who gets them but I got one when I brought it in recently for some paint corrections.

• Informative
Reactions: sflgator
For recent Plaid deliveries I noticed a significant squeak/rattle coming from the interior when driving over minor road imperfections. I just found it itā€™s the computer screen. If I put my hand on the screen the rattle stops immediately. Taking it in Thursday to have this corrected. Otherwise the car is PERFECT. Iā€™m have a thrill driving this. Itā€™s a lot faster than my Lamborghini and it leaves me with a huge smile on my face.
Huracan?

Tesla Survey

---

Wow. Where do I begin?

I will begin.

Where am I at now?

To wrap up.

Sam

As someone who has ordered after visiting Springfield, thanks for the unfortunate heads up.