Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve heard that hot temperatures don’t affect EVs but I’m not so sure about that. Maybe it was in my head but my P100D felt a little more torquey in 60-75 degrees compared to 90+ humid. South FL is super hot and humid at the moment so I wonder if it affects performance even a little bit.

Good question but I think there is something to this. Remember situation Plaid got his best times at night (same road) when temps were in the 60-70s. I think the headwind hurt for sure as it has been windy here in FL from hurricane. Too bad they could not test today because the winds are better.

I get the sense Brooks was not happy in that he wanted some better numbers out of it and have claim to the fastest time. I think Jay Leno still has him beat....LOL. Until next time that is..

From another former (modded) GT-R owner, welcome to the club! 👍 :cool: Not sure if you've driven an EV before, but if not, you're going to FLIP OUT! As visceral and powerful as the GT-R is, the MS Plaid is going to knock your socks off. 😜
Good to hear from another former GTR owner. Had a tone of fun with that car. Sounds like this one will be just as fun. Might miss the sound and shifting but time for a change. Wish they had done more rework of the exterior and gave up waiting for the roadster.

This has been an incredibly long journey. Started back on December 23 and has been a roller coast of emotions. With elation when the delivery dates would update then shear anger when it disappeared a week later. We have all been through it to some extent. I feel for you all my brothers.
Today, I woke up to several emails and text messages telling me my VIN has assigned. I am not sure how to feel. are they going to take it away from me? Should I be so excited that I don't go to work for a week? I am leaning towards the later. Here is wishing all of you VIN #s in the near future.

Alright folks, I have some interesting updates to share. After getting nowhere with the standard SA route, I activated my network and got some "insider" information. Here's what my contact told me:

1. Tesla has not produced any new S models with 19" in Q2 for "business reasons" (read, higher profit margin on the 21s to close the books as strongly as possible).

2. Red paint has been produced in small percentages relative to other colors, but carbon fiber is in very short supply (I think we already knew this, but still good to hear it confirmed).

3. Until you have a VIN assigned, don't pay any attention to the estimated dates on your account page, it really doesn't mean much. Getting a VIN assigned is much more likely to come with a narrow set of dates (e.g. 17-19 July) by which there's a much higher likelihood of sticking.

4. There is a production planning meeting happening tomorrow, so I'll hopefully have more information to share on Friday as to the status of my order, which is being "prioritized" (whatever this means).

That last one was interesting, and it sounds like SAs across the US are not kept abreast of the outcome of such meetings. My contact should be able to share some of the details late tomorrow.

cc @Drew-MS @2021plaid etc.
Happy Friday everyone!

Ok I have finally have updates from my contact at Tesla, post-production planning meeting yesterday. Here's the deal:

1. Carbon fiber trim is no longer in supply issue - woohoo!!

2. 19" wheels with dark caps have finally entered production - woohoo! though caution here, it's still very low volumes, will be ramping through the quarter

3. Red paint is still low percentage of output, so I'm thinking I may go for white should a white Plaid pop up with CF and 19" wheels, then I'll just wrap it with an unusual color (this would be my 3rd red Tesla..)

4. As always, the estimated months really don't mean much until you get a VIN assigned

That's all for now folks. Have a great weekend!

Happy Friday everyone!

Ok I have finally have updates from my contact at Tesla, post-production planning meeting yesterday. Here's the deal:

2. 19" wheels with dark caps have finally entered production - woohoo! though caution here, it's still very low volumes, will be ramping through the quarter

3. Red paint is still low percentage of output, so I'm thinking I may go for white should a white Plaid pop up with CF and 19" wheels, then I'll just wrap it with an unusual color (this would be my 3rd red Tesla..)

4. As always, the estimated months really don't mean much until you get a VIN assigned

As always, greatly appreciate it! Enjoy your weekend yourself.

Here are the timeslips from Brooks’ video. Coming from a Model S Performance, where the Ludicrous+ mode took 45min to use initially and then 5-10 minutes after each run to use again, this consistency is a massive leap forward in performance and actual usability of that performance! This is huge!!

3414D4B7-946D-4682-BD22-7A3B045DD952.jpeg

Here are the timeslips from Brooks’ video. Coming from a Model S Performance, where the Ludicrous+ mode took 45min to use initially and then 5-10 minutes after each run to use again, this is consistency is a massive leap forward in performance and actual usability of that performance! This is huge!!

View attachment 682973
That’s a really fast warm up. But also ambient temps were over 100F. Prob takes longer in colder weather?

Here are the timeslips from Brooks’ video. Coming from a Model S Performance, where the Ludicrous+ mode took 45min to use initially and then 5-10 minutes after each run to use again, this is consistency is a massive leap forward in performance and actual usability of that performance! This is huge!!

View attachment 682973

@TNGur99, on your old car did you notice if the hot weather slowed you down at all?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Happy Friday everyone!

#1 and #2 especially are great to hear - thanks

Happy Friday everyone!

This is wonderful, as it gives hope for an end-July delivery possibly for me, but almost definitely in August. Woohoo!

Happy Friday everyone!

This is great news as I’ve been assuming my CF build would slip from the quoted July to September at least. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
@TNGur99, on your old car did you notice if the hot weather slowed you down at all?
Well unfortunately the closest 1/4 mile track is about 3.5 hours away so I didn’t get excellent data like Brooks always does. That said, after my first Ludicrous+ run in the heat, the car would take much longer to bring its pack temp down so that Ludicrous+ would become available again, so the heat affected it in that noticeable way.

One thing missing with the Plaid are the cool stats that you’d get in Ludicrous+ mode. Maybe those will come back? Here’s what they looked like:

AD7FD1F9-5E23-47C0-917E-F748FDC2D397.jpeg

114D8418-0405-467A-A80B-BBC481578F35.jpeg

Nothing is quite as satisfying as waiting several months for a car to arrive, driving it for a couple of days, and then dropping it off at service for several weeks to fix all the issues they screwed up from the EOQ rush!

View attachment 682924
I'll be curious to see what kind of progress they can make on the door pane alignment--think its a manufacturing issue with the panel.

Funny. I honestly am happy for him that he has a successful business even though it was uncessary to divulge all that (I didn’t read through that diatribe but was completely expecting it), the world is full of people tearing other’s success down. I don’t want to be that. However, he literally has to comment on everything and most of it is not worth the text its taking up on my screen. I just corrected him, and he took offense. Guess he’s not used to that. I don’t know. I’m sorry to have done my own part to derail this thread. But his tirade is pretty ridiculous and I’m sure its just exposing him for who he really is. I’m not the “tool” here.

It really is exhausting to try to sift through 20+ pages a day just to get a few nuggets of helpful information!
He has an insanely short fuse and a huge chip on his shoulder tibook. I put him on ignore after about the 5th time he flipped out over something I said that went against his preferences/values/opinions. I'm used to people like him, but usually they are in their young 20's and drunk at a bar.

Just got a random call from my SA to "touch base" and let me know I'm "in the home stretch" and the only thing that remains is to wait for a VIN to be assigned which should be "soon". He said my car would be delivered this quarter, so "by September". I appreciated the call but it was basically to give me a bunch of non information and no answers to any of my questions about the delay. I asked why another local guy took delivery in June from an order placed in June and why mine doesn't even have an estimated delivery date from an order way back in Nov (RN1141). He had no answer. Very frustrating... especially when I thought the random call from him was going to be good news about delivery date. The waiting continues....

Got a call last week asking if I was interested in ordering a new MS.

Sounds more annoying than anything, for sure

Yup. Let me count the ways. I ordered a +, converted to a Plaid, and am just now enjoying the accolades while I wait for my future beauty. No rush. Call made no sense.