Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As many of us have said before, the LR which we know runs 0-60mph in 3.1 sec and now runs 1/8th mi in 7.16 sec @ 103.58mph...should run the 1/4 mi in upper 10's - low 11's at ~ 125-129mph. Not bad at all! 👍
From a website that does 1/8 to 1/4 mile conversion [email protected] is: 11.35@128mph! A bit low on the ET (I think it'll be a bit quicker that that) but damn good on the trap! Awesome if real life times compare to that. 👍

LOL--can we get this as a forum badge or a t-shirt?

True, but Tesla has also not shied away from using different parts for performance models--fore example the only difference between the original S and P models was the inverter. Because the drivetrain is modular, the cost of two options is reasonable, especially given the extra revenue/margin the upgrade generates.

I am also not sure the prices are the same, when I look at the EPC, for the LR, I see ASY,3DUR,MOSFET-HC (which I assume translates to 3 Drive Unit Rear) for $2.5K while on the Plaid, I see REAR DRIVE UNIT - TOP LEVEL ASY, PLAID for $9K?
I’d be very surprised if they use the carbon-wrapped rotors in the LR. Sharing parts is fine if there is no added cost but wrapping the rotors, as Elon called out, is difficult. Difficulty = cost. The RPM conditions that require the carbon-wrap do not exist in the LR with the lower top speed. They are going to sell more LR’s than plaids so if they use the same motor that is a lot of cost being added unnecessarily. And we know what Elon thinks of unused costs(bye-bye passenger lumbar). I’ll bet a $1 that we will eventually find out that the motors/rotors start out on the same line. They go thru a evaluation to get the best of them(like they do for the performance motors for the 3 and Y) and then take the pick-of-the-litter motors/rotors to a separate line to do the carbon-wrapping. Like what BMW did in the 80’s where they pulled a group of 20 regular 5-series off the line at a time and sent them down the road to be turned into M-5’s

I’d be very surprised if they use the carbon-wrapped rotors in the LR. Sharing parts is fine if there is no added cost but wrapping the rotors, as Elon called out, is difficult. Difficulty = cost. The RPM conditions that require the carbon-wrap do not exist in the LR with the lower top speed. They are going to sell more LR’s than plaids so if they use the same motor that is a lot of cost being added unnecessarily. And we know what Elon thinks of unused costs(bye-bye passenger lumbar). I’ll bet a $1 that we will eventually find out that the motors/rotors start out on the same line. They go thru a evaluation to get the best of them(like they do for the performance motors for the 3 and Y) and then take the pick-of-the-litter motors/rotors to a separate line to do the carbon-wrapping. Like what BMW did in the 80’s where they pulled a group of 20 regular 5-series off the line at a time and sent them down the road to be turned into M-5’s
Exactly my thoughts! As addressed in my post this morning👇, a carbon-wrapped rotor would be pretty much useless in the LR, due to the difference in gearing, and the different inverters in the LR.

Post in thread 'Model S Delivery Update' Wiki - Model S Delivery Update

So why would Tesla equip a car with a special rotor, that requires use of a special carbon-winding machine, when said car can't benefit from it? Plus the added use of the machine puts more wear and tear on the machine, and more carbon fiber to be applied, both of which cost a lot. Doesn't make much sense from a business perspective.🙂

Has anyone with white seats + carbon fiber received a VIN yet?
No VIN yet but mine is in "production planning" which means what? Don't know...production planned for when? Don't know, lol...but hopefully, this means that my car with white seats and carbon fiber interior trim will be going into production in the next week or two and maybe I'll get a VIN for an early Aug delivery? 🙏 :cool:

No VIN yet but mine is in "production planning" which means what? Don't know...production planned for when? Don't know, lol...but hopefully, this means that my car with white seats and carbon fiber interior trim will be going into production in the next week or two and maybe I'll get a VIN for an early Aug delivery? 🙏 :cool:
What was your order date and RN?

From a website that does 1/8 to 1/4 mile conversion [email protected] is: 11.35@128mph! A bit low on the ET (I think it'll be a bit quicker that that) but damn good on the trap! Awesome if real life times compare to that. 👍
It’s also worth noting that this 1/8th mile run was with one of my slower 0-60 times of 3.34 seconds using cheetah mode. I honestly don‘t know why this feature is on this car since it actually increases the 0-60 times. The car should be able to do the 1/8 mile in the high 6’s and the 1/4 mile in the high 10’s

Unfortunately, I won’t be getting my car back for awhile to prove this, and I don’t think anyone is interested in the performance of my S 75D loaner.

739FB8ED-921B-4754-BDA5-D25E89AC15EB.jpeg

It’s also worth noting that this 1/8th mile run was with one of my slower 0-60 times of 3.34 seconds using cheetah mode. I honestly don‘t know why this feature is on this car since it actually increases the 0-60 times. The car should be able to do the 1/8 mile in the high 6’s and the 1/4 mile in the high 10’s

Unfortunately, I won’t be getting my car back for awhile to prove this, and I don’t think anyone is interested in the performance of my S 75D loaner.

View attachment 683749
Oh come on! Dragy the 75D!🤣