Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do we know whether the MSLR also uses carbon sleeved motors? I was perusing the EPC site and noticed that the price for the front drive unit is identical on both the Plaid and LR ($4000). The part number is slightly different, but that doesn't necessarily mean the physical hardware is significantly different.
@BPeter and I were discussing this about a month ago when the updated EPC made its appearance; and the consensus was that both the LR and Plaid use the same motors, just without the carbon-wrapped rotors, and the high-current inverters that can make, and sustain the power. There is even evidence to suggest that both models share the same battery, due to the increased back-to-back-ability of both cars.
It is possible that the front motor could be carbon-wrapped, but then it would be borderline useless in the LR, because of the different gearing on both axles. There is a 7.558:1 ratio on the front, and a 9.034:1 ratio on the rear axle. Tesla does this to get maximum power out of the rear motor as soon as possible from a standing start, and maximum efficiency out the front motor.

As a result, the rear motor's rpm is always significantly higher than that of the front motor. This means that at high speeds, the rear motor's power begins to fade until it stops making any notable power altogether. This also occurred in the previous P100D, and Cheetah MS. This is a factor in why after 130 mph, all of those models would slow down significantly. They effectively were being driven only by their front motors, which made about 300hp.
This is why a carbon-wrapped motor in front only wouldn't make any sense, because at high speeds, the LR would effectively turn into a FWD 300hp EV with a flat-ish power curve.🙂

Last edited:
I have been checking existing Tesla inventory every day. AFAIK, there are no new models to be had. I may order additional models to see which I can get first. Do you think that it be dumb to order a MYLR too?
I've thought about this, but I would still want 19s, still want white seats and carbon fiber (if I went the Plaid route). So I am basically sitting tight at this point. Following this thread, but done refreshing my Tesla account probably until August.

Do you folks want to know something sad? I only bought the Subaru because the receptionist at work said that I am a car snob.

As a result, I’ve been driving an affordable, reliable, safe, practical and dull Subaru for over two years. Everyone ignores me now—even the panhandlers and hookers! Nobody comments on my vehicle.

This darn MS cannot come fast enough! :confused:

#PlaidPeacockers 🦚
LOL--can we get this as a forum badge or a t-shirt?

Do we know whether the MSLR also uses carbon sleeved motors?

Yeah I think there is a good chance the LR has carbon sleeved rotors. Tesla just doesn't like to use different parts if the same ones will work. The fewer changes during assembly the better is their philosophy it seems. The rear might not be since they would have to change that anyway and most likely didn't spend $$ designing a new carbon sleeved single rear motor, but who knows.
True, but Tesla has also not shied away from using different parts for performance models--fore example the only difference between the original S and P models was the inverter. Because the drivetrain is modular, the cost of two options is reasonable, especially given the extra revenue/margin the upgrade generates.

I am also not sure the prices are the same, when I look at the EPC, for the LR, I see ASY,3DUR,MOSFET-HC (which I assume translates to 3 Drive Unit Rear) for $2.5K while on the Plaid, I see REAR DRIVE UNIT - TOP LEVEL ASY, PLAID for $9K?

I'm really jealous of all the low insurance rates you guys are quoting. I have 4 cars on the policy and two 18 year old drivers. I just got quotes from Progressive and Geico and the lowest annual premium I have found is $13,000

This USAA membership seems like the best deal I have ever heard of. I'm getting my father-in-law to sign up for membership so I can see what USAA will save us.
Can one of you USAA members adopts me so I can get membership? Everything I've heard about it is fantastic! Lots of my family members were/are vets but are now deceased or relatives who can't confer membership (sister, etc.)

On Topic Kicker - EDD pushed back a day: July 14-23.

LOL--can we get this as a forum badge or a t-shirt?

True, but Tesla has also not shied away from using different parts for performance models--fore example the only difference between the original S and P models was the inverter. Because the drivetrain is modular, the cost of two options is reasonable, especially given the extra revenue/margin the upgrade generates.

I am also not sure the prices are the same, when I look at the EPC, for the LR, I see ASY,3DUR,MOSFET-HC (which I assume translates to 3 Drive Unit Rear) for $2.5K while on the Plaid, I see REAR DRIVE UNIT - TOP LEVEL ASY, PLAID for $9K?
For same price I was referring to the front drive unit being $4k for both cars. Sorry for not being more clear in the earlier post.

• Love
Reactions: EndlessPlaid
It's a 1/8 mile. That's actually the closest we have so far. With it we can extrapolate a 11,3sec 1/4. But many owners say the car keeps pulling and pulling after 60mph so I think 11.0sec flat to be achievable under better condition (which would be quite amazing to be honest).
I'm cross posting this here - Just posted it in the Dragy times thread.

I have a better 1/8 mile time than that, but I never posted it because I let off the throttle as soon as I hit 100 mph. @Tex EV trap speed of 97 mph seems slow. I hit 103.58 and didn’t post it because I thought the car would perform better. I was planning on doing more runs, but I’m now driving a loaner with the LR stuck at Tesla service for the next couple of weeks.

8A59F8FF-0FC7-4E60-9196-432EEBC33598.jpeg

I have been checking existing Tesla inventory every day. AFAIK, there are no new models to be had. I may order additional models to see which I can get first. Do you think that it be dumb to order a MYLR too? It’s got plenty of useful space. My EDD is still October.

I’m planning on keeping my Subaru Ascent until the/a Tesla arrives. I actually like it except for the tailpipe emissions—and I’m not driving to work often.

I guess I need to find a hobby until a car arrives.
😂
I built a golf simulator to pass the time. Playing pebble beach is the only thing stopping me from obsessively checking for EDD changes

I'm cross posting this here - Just posted it in the Dragy times thread.

I have a better 1/8 mile time than that, but I never posted it because I let off the throttle as soon as I hit 100 mph. @Tex EV trap speed of 97 mph seems slow. I hit 103.58 and didn’t post it because I thought the car would perform better. I was planning on doing more runs, but I’m now driving a loaner with the LR stuck at Tesla service for the next couple of weeks.

View attachment 683713
nice now we are talking, thats actually BMW M5 F90 lightly tuned territory see timeslip for comparison.

1626107130421.png

For same price I was referring to the front drive unit being $4k for both cars. Sorry for not being more clear in the earlier post.
BTW @rhuber, I forgot to mention: gearing is actually a massive factor in why the Plaid is so fast. Because both axles have the same 7.5:1 ratio, all 3 motors make their 340 hp at exactly the same time, as they all spin on one continuous plane.

If my car ever gets delivered, that’s the shop I will use for xpel, ceramic, tint
I got a quote from them for a Model Y couple of months ago and for my S as well (few days ago) and they quoted a much higher price for the S. Maybe its the Model S “tax”.
I got quotes from shops all over bay area and these guys were the most expensive.

Mark said that it appears that my RN (1144) should be around the end of August. I ordered 3 Feb 21 (MSLR, BLK/BLK, 19", FSD).
I see similar. I ordered a MSLR GRY/BLK 19" FSD on 27 Feb 21 and have an RN of 1145 and Estimated date in the portal of August. It just appeared last Thursday after saying nothing since ordering.

I got a quote from them for a Model Y couple of months ago and for my S as well (few days ago) and they quoted a much higher price for the S. Maybe its the Model S “tax”.
I got quotes from shops all over bay area and these guys were the most expensive.
It might also be inherently more complex for an S versus a Y. Do not cheap out on the PPF. That conversation was some 123 pages ago.

nice now we are talking, thats actually BMW M5 F90 lightly tuned territory see timeslip for comparison.

View attachment 683715
As many of us have said before, the LR which we know runs 0-60mph in 3.1 sec and now runs 1/8th mi in 7.16 sec @ 103.58mph...should run the 1/4 mi in upper 10's - low 11's at ~ 125-129mph. Not bad at all! 👍