Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What was your order date and RN?
RN1144 2/5/21...order date and RN makes absoluely no difference though...we've all learned this over the past 5 months! It more has to do with the exact ext color/interior configuration & wheels you've chosen. Tesla makes their production runs as they make them...seems like ext color in batches first...most of the ones to have already gone into production and ultimate VIN assignments and delivery were MSM, Black, & Blue ext mostly with black seats & wood trim with 21" wheels. Now, they seems to be starting with red ext and cf trim and it seems like white ext with carbon fiber & wood trim are next in line for the "batch" production. Of course, there were shortages of carbon fiber trim and possibly white seats too. It's all haphazard from our perspective but maybe Tesla has some sort of control and reasoning for their batch production madness?!?!!?

I’d be very surprised if they use the carbon-wrapped rotors in the LR. Sharing parts is fine if there is no added cost but wrapping the rotors, as Elon called out, is difficult. Difficulty = cost. The RPM conditions that require the carbon-wrap do not exist in the LR with the lower top speed. They are going to sell more LR’s than plaids so if they use the same motor that is a lot of cost being added unnecessarily. And we know what Elon thinks of unused costs(bye-bye passenger lumbar). I’ll bet a $1 that we will eventually find out that the motors/rotors start out on the same line. They go thru a evaluation to get the best of them(like they do for the performance motors for the 3 and Y) and then take the pick-of-the-litter motors/rotors to a separate line to do the carbon-wrapping. Like what BMW did in the 80’s where they pulled a group of 20 regular 5-series off the line at a time and sent them down the road to be turned into M-5’s
From Owner's Manual
Motor Type Long Range Front and rear motor AC permanent magnet synchronous motor, liquidcooled, with variable frequency drive
Motor Type Plaid AC permanent magnet synchronous motor, carbon-fiber-wrapped rotor, liquid-cooled, with variable frequency drive (2x motors in the rear

I've thought about this, but I would still want 19s, still want white seats and carbon fiber (if I went the Plaid route). So I am basically sitting tight at this point. Following this thread, but done refreshing my Tesla account probably until August.
Someone posted a pic last week of a refresh with gray 19s. Very encouraging but there is no proof any refresh have been delivered yet with 19s.
I'm trying to stay optimistic for the end of July but my confidence is fading with 16th day of blank.

Righttt... Good luck with that one lol

Still blank (day 16)
Two hours in and holding strong! Closing the tab helps.
Someone posted a pic last week of a refresh with gray 19s. Very encouraging but there is no proof any refresh have been delivered yet with 19s.
I'm trying to stay optimistic for the end of July but my confidence is fading with 16th day of blank.
Agreed, it was nice to actually see the wheels for the first time. But seeing more and seeing more constantly will make my hold out harder. For now, just enjoying the thread and those that are taking delivery.

Yeah, that was probably the one that got away. I bet you Tesla was not planning on delivering a single one of those until late August like their website says lol

I mean Tesla went ahead and added Cheetah mode to LR lol why would anyone want Plaid. It will be hilarious if LR numbers come close to Plaid and may be we'll see a software limitation of LR by Tesla 😂
10.8 to 11@120+mph is nowhere close to the Plaid. That's over 15 car lengths difference. Tesla won't need to SW limit the LR, that's for sure. Trying to keep things realistic here, people.🙂

10.8 to 11@120+mph is nowhere close to the Plaid. That's over 15 car lengths difference. Tesla won't need to SW limit the LR, that's for sure. Trying to keep things realistic here, people.🙂

I gave up on that. Some people simply don't understand the absolute staggering difference between these two cars. The LR is close to the Model 3 P in terms of performance, - perhaps a tad faster. The Plaid is on a completely other level. It's like a BMW 325i vs a 488 Pista.

I'd be pretty surprised if the LR can hit the 10s in the quarter. It might be close, but... I'm not sure it's there.

I gave up on that. Some people simply don't understand the absolute staggering difference between these two cars. The LR is close to the Model 3 P in terms of performance, - perhaps a tad faster. The Plaid is on a completely other level. It's like a Prius vs 488 Pista.
Exactly! Sometimes I feel like giving up also, but it's worth it. It's the difference between a really fast car, and an astronomically fast car. Think Mclaren 600lt vs. SSC Tuatara.

I mean Tesla went ahead and added Cheetah mode to LR lol why would anyone want Plaid. It will be hilarious if LR numbers come close to Plaid and may be we'll see a software limitation of LR by Tesla 😂
The LR is quick. But anyone thinking they are close doesn’t know what 2sec at 150mph means in terms of actually being beat destroyed at the track.

When the LR crosses the 1/4 mile mark, the Plaid is 440+ feet ahead!!

The LR is quick. But anyone thinking they are close doesn’t know what 2sec at 150mph means in terms of actually being beat destroyed at the track.

By the time the LR hits the 1/4 mile, the Plaid will have been at its 163 mph limiter for over 2 seconds. Or by the time the LR hits 152 mph, the Plaid, with the 200mph unlocked, will already be almost there! Massive difference!

Last edited:
I gave up on that. Some people simply don't understand the absolute staggering difference between these two cars. The LR is close to the Model 3 P in terms of performance, - perhaps a tad faster. The Plaid is on a completely other level. It's like a BMW 325i vs a 488 Pista.

I'd be pretty surprised if the LR can hit the 10s in the quarter. It might be close, but... I'm not sure it's there.

Plaid - 9.2s @ 152 mph. Folks, this is arcane!

Yeah I think there is a good chance the LR has carbon sleeved rotors. Tesla just doesn't like to use different parts if the same ones will work. The fewer changes during assembly the better is their philosophy it seems. The rear might not be since they would have to change that anyway and most likely didn't spend $$ designing a new carbon sleeved single rear motor, but who knows.

So anyway, back in the day when VCRs were expensive, Sony used to sell three different versions for many of its lines: entry, middle, and expensive. Turns out for many of those that the versions were actually the same except for the faceplate and the remote. The remote mattered because while the stuff on the inside was all the same, the remotes that came with each had different buttons to access different functionality.

Those in the know would buy the cheaper VCR and then separately order the remote for the more expensive VCR.

Companies have been software-limiting features for a long time, even when it was done in hardware.

No offence to any LR owners but the Plaid is in terms of speed on another level. Nothing can match the speed currently not even Motorcycles. Not sure why people are saying well you get 2 seconds for 45K or 45K well for some of us its worth it for me actually its a performance bargain.