Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have exactly emailed my Tesla rep 25 times since the order, only 3 replies from him, and in the last month, I have gotten more automatic out-of-office replies than actual replies. These guys must have the easiest job in the world, the car sells itself, I get paid, and I just spend my time vacationing instead of working. If there is any cost-cutting they should just lay off these reps and go full automation through improved automated logistics. It is so frustrating to have to deal with Tesla.
This is the give and take with Tesla presale vs traditional franchise models. The Tesla buying experience is monumentally better and stress-free. However, that is typically where the tables turn. It seems at least that the people at the SCs and showrooms are simply not incentivized to give a crap. There is no "relationship" post sale with this model.

Also, wanna share the experience I had with DCU for financing the vehicle. Expect for the long wait time for call back, their service is good. Got the loan approved in 24 hours and the payment has been schedule to be delivered coming Friday (7/16). I'll wire transfer remaining amount once I get confirmation that the vehicle reached delivery center. Can't wait to drive the amazing beauty :cool:
Great to hear! I will most likely do the DCU financing as well when the time comes. What method did you use to qualify for membership? I see they have a bunch listed on website, not sure what is easiest.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
I have exactly emailed my Tesla rep 25 times since the order, only 3 replies from him, and in the last month, I have gotten more automatic out-of-office replies than actual replies. These guys must have the easiest job in the world, the car sells itself, I get paid, and I just spend my time vacationing instead of working. If there is any cost-cutting they should just lay off these reps and go full automation through improved automated logistics. It is so frustrating to have to deal with Tesla.
That is how millennials work :)

This is the give and take with Tesla presale vs traditional franchise models. The Tesla buying experience is monumentally better and stress-free. However, that is typically where the tables turn. It seems at least that the people at the SCs and showrooms are simply not incentivized to give a crap. There is no "relationship" post sale with this model.
The buying process is better? If that’s true, when am I getting my car?

After saying IDGAF earlier in this very thread, I'm getting PPF on the whole car next week. Please ridicule me, because I deserve it.

But also help me decide whether I want 'xpel stealth', which is matte/satin, or normal xpel, which keeps the car glossy. I truly can't decide if the matte look is 'dated' or still looks good.

here's the video that made me consider satin/matte..

react 💡 for gloss
react ❤️ for matte

After saying IDGAF earlier in this very thread, I'm getting PPF on the whole car next week. Please ridicule me, because I deserve it.

But also help me decide whether I want 'xpel stealth', which is matte/satin, or normal xpel, which keeps the car glossy. I truly can't decide if the matte look is 'dated' or still looks good.

react 💡 for gloss
react ❤️ for matte
whats the cost in your area for full PPF on the whole car?

react 💡 for gloss
react ❤️ for matte
I would like to hear from someone with the matte wrap. I have heard you have to be careful washing matte compared to gloss wrap. This was from someone at the shop that added the tint to my windows. Of course PPF might have different care requirements than matte wrap

I would like to hear from someone with the matte wrap. I have heard you have to be careful washing matte compared to gloss wrap. This was from someone at the shop that added the tint to my windows. Of course PPF might have different care requirements than matte wrap
I would agree with this. It is like wrapping a white car - as soon as there is a tear or blemish in the satin / matte wrap, it is going to stick out like a sore thumb. If you are on the fence for matte or clear bra, just go clear bra.

I would agree with this. It is like wrapping a white car - as soon as there is a tear or blemish in the satin / matte wrap, it is going to stick out like a sore thumb. If you are on the fence for matte or clear bra, just go clear bra.
I’ll bite -

what are the pros and cons (besides cost) of doing a full car ppf wrap vs a Bra only?

I priced out full Xpel ppf, paint correction, ceramic. The local place wants $9K. Ouchy. But on my M3P I had lots of gouges from rocks and scratches on the rear and sides from normal use. So considering this huge sum as an option.

I’ll bite -

what are the pros and cons (besides cost) of doing a full car ppf wrap vs a Bra only?

I priced out full Xpel ppf, paint correction, ceramic. The local place wants $9K. Ouchy. But on my M3P I had lots of gouges from rocks and scratches on the rear and sides from normal use. So considering this huge sum as an option.
I am no detailing expert by any means, so take all this with a grain of salt. If you are on Reddit, I would go to r/autodetailing and get more information.

Pros for a full wrap are:
- entire car is covered and protected from rocks and scratches
- you can change the color, look and feel of the car, as opposed to a frontal PPF which would need to likely be clear.
- layer of paint under the car is protected for resell value
- can remove and repair cheaper than repainting

Cons for a full wrap:
- cost
- run the risk of under coat being exposed by scrapes and dings
- while a pro is it is easier to fix, a con would be you have to replace the entire section of the car. Could get costly, but still less expensive than painting and blending
- this is more historical, but if you get cheap wrap it could start to blemish (yellow for a clear wrap)

Pros for a full frontal:
- only protecting the majority of the car that takes a beating at highway speeds
- cheaper than a full wrap (obviously)
- layer of paint under the car is protected for resell value
- can remove and repair cheaper than repainting

Cons for a full frontal
- only protects the front, so if the rear and back sides of your cars take a beating this will not protect it
- depending on what you do with the A pillar, there could be a "seam". Could also be a seam on the hood depending on your installer and their technique. These are less likely on a full PPF since the entire exterior is wrapped.

I am sure there are more for both categories, but this is just a five minute type out. I hate to say it, but the matte / satin versus clear is really going to come down to a personal preference of how you want your car to look.

PS just noticed you said "besides cost". Sorry for including those.

My model 3 is wrapped in satin black Avery Dennison vinyl and coated with ceramic pro. The shop didn't specify any special care needed for washing so I just make sure to use a ph neutral soap and spray it on with a foam cannon. I also plan on wrapping my model S whenever it gets delivered but am on the fence of doing vinyl wrap again or trying satin ppf for the extra protection

Still Blank.
Hoping we see someone take delivery of 19" wheels end of this month
Waiting for them to cancel 19s and make us all convert to 21st with new RNs 😅
With everyone loving the launches, when will the complaints about tires wearing out start?

You know there will be people who buy a car that goes 0-60 in 2 seconds and expect 50k miles from the tires....

This is the most negative forum I have ever seen, so tires could easily be the next issue for complaint.
Probably one of the most positive forums I’ve been to, try any American (non-Tesla) car forums 😅

Better than Ken Doll
lets look at this logically... all we do here is bitch about not getting a VIN :) how positive would you be?
Exactly
My guess - if they allowed people to freely change order configurations it makes supply chain and production forecasting more difficult. So they want to discourage it so they can properly plan On the basis that existing orders are stable.
What’s this production forecasting you speak of 😅😅
That is exactly the intention. I do not see any other reason for them not to let customers switch wheels especially when these customers are paying $4500 for the new set of wheels. Difference is Tesla would rather have you pay $14,500 than $4500. Simple as that
The entire thing is a scam. $4,500 wheel upgrade for wheels that aren’t worth that much PLUS they get to keep the 19s which you technically paid for in the car price.

I think I might be unusually fortunate. Sold the wifes Lexus with over 100k miles on it recently, and other than a few very tiny rock chip areas on the nose part of the hood/front bumper cover(whats considered normal wear/tear by lease companies, Carmax type places, etc), no chips on sides or rear. If there were, they had to have been miniscule. Sold that one for over KBB private sale price.

Had a 2006 AMG that had 120k miles on it. Same. Couple of the more visible ones I studied how to effectively use Dr Colorchip and that allowed me to significantly reduce the chip visibility overall.

And my 2017 S that I just sold to a private party had maybe 1 1mm nick on the front bumper cover.

Only one that had PPF? The S on the hood only.

$9k?? I def respect others decisions but um, Yeah, thats gonna be a no dawg(c)RandyJackson,

I mean, a FULL COMPLETE respray of the car in original Tesla paint wont cost $9k

react 💡 for gloss
react ❤️ for matte
I'm going white full satin wrap personally. I don't think it is dated, very few people do that (in my area at least). Will make my white S look a bit different than every other white S out there.
Full wrap is good to protect paint from these assholes keying nice cars. However, if I decide not to go for matte, I will probably just cover the front only, I live in the snow belt and not covering the front is nonsense.